Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 217 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #2296

That's what I meant, the rear element should be big to give right angle for the light to enter the sensor, that kind of wideangle construction is not very common in older FF SLR wideangles - I suppose

01-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #2297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
After reading this artickle I have become to wonder, should ALL videangle lenses for FF be reconstructed to get good edge quality?:
HDSLR Shooter ? A History of Mirrorless vs Mirrored Cameras
Leica thinks so.

They are remaking their entire line because of the issue.
01-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #2298

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Leica thinks so.

They are remaking their entire line because of the issue.
If this is a serious issue, that means that ALL older Pentax FF wideangle lenses will become quite cheap and unusefull when Pentax comes out with a FF body what ever type it will be.
01-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #2299
Veteran Member

If this is a serious issue, that means that ALL older Pentax FF wideangle lenses will become quite cheap and unusefull when Pentax comes out with a FF body what ever type it will be.
They'll be quite useful for those of us who intend to stick with APS-C for the foreseeable future. And "quite cheap" sounds appealing but I don't think the prcing for APS-C lenses is going to tank any time soon - most current owners will continue on that path for quite a while. In fact, it would not surprise me if the market for used/discontinued APS-C glass takes an uptick, assuming that the FF replacements are priced higher than the current crop. (Pun is entirely intended.)

01-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #2300

I sold my old SMC K 20mm F4 wideangle some time ago, most probably I didn't make any big mistake to do so.
01-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #2301
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How many older Pentax WA lenses are even out there?

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken it would be more of a problem for a mirrorless FF vs. a mirrored FF.
01-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #2302
Veteran Member

I sold my old SMC K 20mm F4 wideangle some time ago, most probably I didn't make any big mistake to do so.
I actually am quite sorry I sold my M 20 f4...

01-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #2303
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
How many older Pentax WA lenses are even out there?

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken it would be more of a problem for a mirrorless FF vs. a mirrored FF.
I doubt it matters what type of FF camera is used for Pentax lenses. On mirrorless you just have to use an adapter.

Mirrorless FF cameras might have severe problem if using RF lenses, but FF DSLR will have even worse problems with this type of lens as it can't even be used.
01-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #2304

No, the point is mirrored cameras used retrofocus design for wide angles anyways because they had to clear the mirror while as mirrorless didn't care about that but now with digital sensors they have edge problems.

In any case, current sensor technology is the problem, not lenses. We just need new sensor technology that isn't affected by edge problems.
01-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #2305
Oog
Forum Member

If you spend the money for a FF body, you probably don't get two kit lenses and stop, you probably buy one or two or three nice lenses to start, and grow your kit over time, sometimes buying very expensive lenses (sometimes not.)

If you are a serious photographer, you probably don't get two kit lenses and stop, you probably buy one or two or three nice lenses to start, and grow your kit over time, sometimes buying very expensive lenses (sometimes not.).
01-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #2306
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oog Quote
If you are a serious photographer, you probably don't get two kit lenses and stop, you probably buy one or two or three nice lenses to start, and grow your kit over time, sometimes buying very expensive lenses (sometimes not.).
define serious.
01-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #2307
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
We just need new sensor technology that isn't affected by edge problems.
More precisely, new microlens technology.

But personally, I think the replacement of the Bayer filter matrix by trichroic sensel prisms (one advanced microlens, trichroic prism and 3 pixels per rgb sensel) will solve this as a byproduct. Not easily done though.
01-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #2308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
No, the point is mirrored cameras used retrofocus design for wide angles anyways because they had to clear the mirror while as mirrorless didn't care about that but now with digital sensors they have edge problems.

In any case, current sensor technology is the problem, not lenses. We just need new sensor technology that isn't affected by edge problems.
That's what Leica did...and they still feel they have to re-design their lenses.

Sensors capture light in a manner different than film for which the lenses were designed and tested.
01-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #2309
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to what I've read, the worldwide MFD market before the introduction of the 645D was 6000 units annually. The 645D reportedly sold around 10,000 units in it's first 1.5 years - meaning it effectively doubled the existing market (it's introduction caused the market to double in units sold.) Regardless of whatever reasons your local shop has for not carrying the 645D, it doesn't seem to be a good indicator of what's happened in the market.

(If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the 645D brought MFD more deeply into the enthusiast realm, because of it's price point.)
You just made my point. The 645D fills a void, but likely takes exactly zero biz away from Hasselblad because those very premium shooters demand and require pro support.

Pentax sells a street racer while Hasselblad is F1.
01-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #2310
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The 645D fills a void, but likely takes exactly zero biz away from Hasselblad...
Are you sure of that? How does "likely" fit only one word away from "exactly?" Isn't that kind of a contradiction?

I see what you're saying, and you're right to a certain degree, but I really do think that the 645D is a much bigger contender than one just might realize.

One thing is for sure, Pentax sure did make a wise move with the 645D. They have made a lot of profit on the sale of it...