Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #2326

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
+1. Pentax does not need expensive pro's, but wealthy amateurs. The pro market is already well served by the big brands, let them enjoy that while Pentax flourishes in its own part of the market
+1 too. There is for sure much more of wealthy amateurs than pros.

01-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #2327
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Yep one whiner complained. Duly noted. The rest of these internet experts were more impressed with the ISO performance which beats my D700. Looked about as good as my Nikon 24mm F1.4G at it's widest aperture.
I think those shots more than likely had post or in-camera NR applied... I suspect I could replicate that 'ISO performance' with my K20D and the LR NR slider

01-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #2328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
+1 too. There is for sure much more of wealthy amateurs than pros.
much better than competing on the cheap and already crowded entry level camera market.
01-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #2329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
If Pentax doubles the market size for a product category in the industry with the release of a single camera, does it matter whether or not they manage to steal customers from another manufacturer? Frankly, this strikes me as an argument for why Pentax would not need to court existing Canon/Nikon FF shooters to spin out a successful K-1 FF dslr.
Precisely, a point I've been trying to make for a while.

With FF, I doubt they'd need to steal much from existing CaNikon users - only grab Pentax-shooters who are on an upgrade path that leads now to CaNikon, and to grab a percentage of current and future (m43 DSLR) + (mirrorless-small) + (mirrorless-aps-c) + (non-CaNikon aps-c DSLR) shooters on an upgrade path from their platform of choice.

01-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #2330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think a Pentax full frame inevitably would steal a few Canon and Nikon shooters, and maybe a few from Sony as well. Look at how well the K-5 did at attracting experienced photographers from other brands who were looking for something just a bit different than the other brands. It must be remembered that "success" is relative term, and a successful camera by Pentax standards would be a marginal performer, even a failure, in terms of cameras produced by the big two. If Pentax could manage to steal 0.5% of Canon's market, and 0.5% of Nikon's market, and 0.5% of Sony's market, it would mean nearly double the amount of cameras they currently sell. And perhaps "steal" is too strong a word, just because a pro has a rough-and-rugged Pentax FF for outdoor use, doesn't mean he won't still use his Nikon D4 in the studio for its awesome flash controls. Lots of pros own more than one brand of camera.
01-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #2331

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I think a Pentax full frame inevitably would steal a few Canon and Nikon shooters, and maybe a few from Sony as well. Look at how well the K-5 did at attracting experienced photographers from other brands who were looking for something just a bit different than the other brands.
I fully agree, I have gears both from Pentax and Sony (and Minolta), I have never had any SLR gears from Canon or Nikon, and will not have either.
In my opinnion, the easyest way to encrease Pentax owners group is to make more interesting cameras than Sony. Sony do not have that image as Minolta had, which is actually a sad thing. Sony is known as a high end camcorder producer for pros, just like Canon and may be also Panasonic, but that don't have any positive affect on Sonys dslr image, not at least in my mind.
So, actually I'm waiting for both Pentax and Sony to introduce a new body for my present and new lenses, lets see which one will succeed to get my money
01-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #2332
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FYI another rumor surfaces today (credit to Mister Horrible for the link):

Some more Pentax rumors (full frame DSLR, mirrorless camera) | Photo Rumors

I don't know how accurate this is, but a hope that we will hear a FF DSLR announcement this summer-fall is always welcome.

01-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #2333

old, already got posted a billion times

Sorry

Edit:

Maybe you can put two of the "bricks" together for 3d image/movie caapture :P
01-26-2012, 04:24 AM   #2334
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
FYI another rumor surfaces today (credit to Mister Horrible for the link):

Some more Pentax rumors (full frame DSLR, mirrorless camera) | Photo Rumors

I don't know how accurate this is, but a hope that we will hear a FF DSLR announcement this summer-fall is always welcome.
This contains the gripping news that "the new Pentax K-01 mirrorless camera is supposed to be build like a brick, literally - you should be able to place on a table in landscape or portrait position without a tripod."

What will they think of next? My FF mirrorless Contax III (1938) with 50/f1.5 Zeiss Sonnar stands on a table in landscape thanks to a clever flip-out thingee in the baseplate and it's not built like a brick. Have to admit it would fall over quite expensively if attempting same trick in portrait. Much safer and more effective to carry a small beanbag.
01-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #2335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I think those shots more than likely had post or in-camera NR applied... I suspect I could replicate that 'ISO performance' with my K20D and the LR NR slider

According to the reviewer those shots were out of cameras JPEGS with the noise reduction set to 0. Undoubtedly this particular camera will suffer from a myriad of shortcomings that will make it all but unworkable for most DSLR users. C'est la vie. Given it's relatively modest price and the price prices of the lenses it's not the end of the world.
01-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #2336
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
old, already got posted a billion times

Sorry

Edit:

Maybe you can put two of the "bricks" together for 3d image/movie caapture :P
Really? I didn't see a new thread on this nor any posts in this thread...

I was referring specifically to:

QuoteQuote:
After it got acquired by Ricoh, Pentax is reportedly determined to provide a full range of cameras, including a new full frame DSLR...The full frame Pentax camera is rumored to be announced later in 2012 (either in May or for Photokina in September).
Yes the original link was posted in the K-01 thread, but the FF rumor should have some mention here. Not everyone is keen on following a thread on another APS-C mirrorless.

I'd like to see a roadmap in May with a full-out FF DSLR announcement at Photokina, but alas, one can only dream.
01-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #2337
Veteran Member

They NEED to release a roadmap... especially if they are not announcing a FF solution by summer.. with so many options coming into the market also helping older FF model prices drop.. without a FF option or show that one is in the works, it sure makes it hard to not jump ship.
01-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #2338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
They NEED to release a roadmap... especially if they are not announcing a FF solution by summer.. with so many options coming into the market also helping older FF model prices drop.. without a FF option or show that one is in the works, it sure makes it hard to not jump ship.
Roadmaps are the exception rather than the rule on the industry. In any industry. Don't count on one. They box suppliers in and borrow trouble when execution may not be possible.
01-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #2339
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Roadmaps are the exception rather than the rule on the industry. In any industry. Don't count on one. They box suppliers in and borrow trouble when execution may not be possible.
You speak truth in this...
01-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #2340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Once again I agree with Aristhanatos.

I sit in road map presentations 5-10 times per year but always under NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement). And we generally look at them as slideware until proven otherwise. We have, I think, but one vendor that meets its 12-month targets 90% of the time. (It's a British firm but nothing to do with photography.) Some of the businesses best-regarded by Wall Street or the CIty are the worst in delivering on their claims. Makes for a lot of grumbling on our end. Pentax/Ricoh do not want to get into that mess - again.

In any event, a three-lens road map (as has been speculated elsewhere, I think) is much more akin to a diagram of my driveway rather than a road map. But on a happy note, I'll take anything because ..... it's often what's not in the road map that tells the tale.