Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 217 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #2416
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
so I got it wrong.. use the 645 mount, with a slightly shorter register distance, and sell BOTH 645 and k-mount adaptors?
That would work, but now the body must be made larger for the 645 mount to fit!

02-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #2417
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
That would work, but now the body must be made larger for the 645 mount to fit!
Larger than the k-01
smaller than the 645...
I'm talking about making a 645 evil with a shorter register distance after removing the mirror box.. so making BOTH 645 and k-mount adaptors for it is possible...
size wise... remember the old fuji medium format rangerfinder?
02-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #2418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
Larger than the k-01
smaller than the 645...
I'm talking about making a 645 evil with a shorter register distance after removing the mirror box.. so making BOTH 645 and k-mount adaptors for it is possible...
size wise... remember the old fuji medium format rangerfinder?
That sounds like an interesting concept! I think we need to wait for yet a couple of generations of EVFs before potential photographers are willing to give up the 645Ds large OVF, though.
02-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #2419
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow. This is a really really long thread :-) I can see the enthusiasm to get a FF Pentax :-)

One question I have is this. If Pentax introduce a FF camera, won't we all suddenly have an issue to use all our beloved pancake lenses with the camera, given that most of the current lenses are aps only? Don't we all need to start selling our aps lenses then?

02-11-2012, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #2420
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Wow. This is a really really long thread :-) I can see the enthusiasm to get a FF Pentax :-)

One question I have is this. If Pentax introduce a FF camera, won't we all suddenly have an issue to use all our beloved pancake lenses with the camera, given that most of the current lenses are aps only? Don't we all need to start selling our aps lenses then?
No, they have the ability to include a virtual crop factor so that if you mount a DA lens (with a few exceptions that already project a 35mm image circle) the camera would just capture the image in the APS-C area. If the camera were to use a 36mp sensor, the cropped images would be roughly the size of the K-5's. Nikon already does this with their FX and DX formats. If the camera is only 18~24Mp though the images will be smaller. Of course some of us have largely stayed away from DA lenses this whole time for that very reason.
02-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #2421
Veteran Member

I see. Thanks for that helpful explanation. I feel very comfortable with this approach. I hope Pentax's FF will be like what you described.

I m not too confident the FF will be 36MP? Unless Pentax uses the same sensor as the d800... The latest canon 1d series only has 18MP for the sensor....

But anyway thanks again for the explanation ;-)
02-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #2422
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I see. Thanks for that helpful explanation. I feel very comfortable with this approach. I hope Pentax's FF will be like what you described.

I m not too confident the FF will be 36MP? Unless Pentax uses the same sensor as the d800..
Pentax don't make their own sensors, (like Canon) they would have no choice but to use the new Sony sensor, and it would be silly to use anything else anyway.

02-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #2423
Veteran Member

Well according to the "hints" from the interview that's currently being translated.. this thread can/will be around until next year.. at which time I'll see if Pentax releases a FF mirrorless and how much better it will be than the D800 it looks like I'll be getting in the next few months.. pending Canon's 5D Mark III release I guess...
02-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #2424
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Well according to the "hints" from the interview that's currently being translated.. this thread can/will be around until next year.. at which time I'll see if Pentax releases a FF mirrorless and how much better it will be than the D800 it looks like I'll be getting in the next few months.. pending Canon's 5D Mark III release I guess...
Yes very disappointed that Pentax just don't seem to listen to what their customers want. I do have some regrets about not going Nikon right about now. I would still prefer a Pentax FF than a Nikon one, but their is obviously a hole in the Pentax lineup that Pentax just don't want to fill.... ;(
02-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #2425
Veteran Member

Yup, I want nothing more than a FF solution to put behind some of the great glass like the FA limited series.. I have one, I would definitely be buying the 31 and 77 if they came out with a FF camera.. but now I guess I'll be looking to spend that money on a new system and unfortunately new glass to go with it. I want a D800, but the 5D Mark II is dropping in price like crazy right now as the Mark III approaches.. time to look into what my 43 Ltd would do better mounted to, Nikon or Canon.
02-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #2426
Veteran Member

I would definitely be buying the 31 and 77 if they came out with a FF camera..
Yup, the day a DSLR FF is announced I'd order a FA 31. And probably their 24-75. Until there's a FF I'm all set on Pentax glass, save a >500 mm lens.
02-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #2427
Veteran Member

I wish Pentax would just bite the bullet, say they are going to do a FF, and put a stop to all these FF threads.
02-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #2428
Veteran Member

Yup, I want nothing more than a FF solution to put behind some of the great glass like the FA limited series.. I have one, I would definitely be buying the 31 and 77 if they came out with a FF camera.. but now I guess I'll be looking to spend that money on a new system and unfortunately new glass to go with it. I want a D800, but the 5D Mark II is dropping in price like crazy right now as the Mark III approaches.. time to look into what my 43 Ltd would do better mounted to, Nikon or Canon.
Yes I would also like to use my FA77, D-FA 100mm Macro, and even my Sigma 50-500 is full frame compatible, I would add an FA31 and be all set for FF goodness. But it's not meant to be. I also have thought about adapting FA's to another brand of FF like the 5DMKII, now I need to contemplate it all again. (Sigh)
02-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #2429
Veteran Member

I don't like the fact that you need to "modify" your lens to mount to Canon EOS system... Nikon mount adapters that I saw have another piece of glass in them.. just not sure which route would be better. I would prefer the D800 over the 5D MII though.
02-12-2012, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #2430
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking of maybe just selling all my APS-C gear, my K20d, my 50-135, my Sigma 8-16 etc, but keeping all my full frame glass, I can at least still use it on my KX. I figure my collection will get me a good ways towards a D800 body, it's the lenses that are gonna hurt. Makes me sick to my stomach. Pentax, I'm so pissed at you right now.