Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 217 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #2476
Pentaxian

Hum, it seems this tread has forgotten about FF, isn't it ?

02-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #2477
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hum, it seems this tread has forgotten about FF, isn't it ?
Just the same as Pentax has.. now there are two camps IMO.. those apathetic, who may have one day upgraded to FF if it was available.. and the ones who are about to jump ship because they are not going to wait any longer. Pentax has helped divide the one camp of FF hopeful people and push some off to other brands.
02-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #2478

If i can't get a pentax FF, i'll jump ship... to µ4/3.
02-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #2479
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
For example, the FA 43 1.9 can resolve 53 lp/mm in the center of the frame when stopped down to ƒ/5.6.
Oh man, so much wrong information again ...

The FA 43 is certainly in one league with Zeiss SLR glass which means it resolves about 300 lp/mm in the center at its sweet spot aperture. You'll find threads of mine where I resolved 2μm details with such lenses myself, translating to 250 lp/mm. You did not understand that lens tests on the current internet are eventually limited by the testing camera's Nyquist frequency, at least in the way how they are typically done.

But it isn't your fault alone. There was a time when lenses were tested on an optical bench and correct figures were published.

Another wrong information I do constantly read is that the Bayer mosaic or AA filter reduces the sensor's resolution. This is false. The luminance channel has the same Nyquist frequency and sharpening techniques can cancel the lower MTF caused by the Bayer mosaic and AA filter. Only the color information has a lower spatial resolution which remains invisible because the human eye has the same deficit. The only real effect is that sharpening increases pixel noise or may fail with an image blurred because of other reasons.

Last edited by falconeye; 02-14-2012 at 04:24 PM.
02-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #2480
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's fine to hope for a FF camera, but the expectation that Pentax will come out with one now, next year, the year after, etc. will cause unnecessary disgruntlement and bitterness.

I like many others here share the desire in getting the most out of my FA Limiteds in the form of a FF camera, even if the real world differences between APS-C and FF results are not obvious. But in the meantime, I am enjoying what the K-5 has to offer - and it is sweet with good lenses...
02-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #2481
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You'll find threads of mine where I resolved 2μm details with such lenses myself, translating to 250 lp/mm.
That's pretty awesome! And I agree, it is unfortunate that lens benchmarks are published online with consumer cameras as the test platform. What equipment did you use, or could you point me in the direction of that thread?

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You did not understand that lens tests on the current internet are eventually limited by the testing camera's Nyquist frequency, at least in the way how they are typically done.
I understood that the camera was the weak point of the test and correctly warned the reader about it, but for the wrong reasons (I have now corrected that post). At your behest I have also started reading up on the nyquist frequency and it's aliasing effects on camera sensors. I am currently reading Norman Koren's thoughts on the matter but would love any further reading you can supply.

Thanks!
02-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #2482
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The D800E costs more??!? What's the justification?
they have to send it out to these guys first

Hot Rod Visible

02-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #2483
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
where's the smiley

lol if i can't get the superior sensor i'll opt for the inferior one
roflmao
02-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #2484

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
where's the smiley

lol if i can't get the superior sensor i'll opt for the inferior one
roflmao

Well, olympus has great weather sealing and small bodies, qualities we all like in pentax. If i can't have a pentax FF to use with the small FA limiteds, µ4/3 and their pancakes seems a reasonable choice for me.
02-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #2485
Pentaxian

A smaller than APS-C sensor is a reasonable alternative to FF? Am I missing something?
02-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #2486
Veteran Member

Well, olympus has great weather sealing and small bodies, qualities we all like in pentax. If i can't have a pentax FF to use with the small FA limiteds, µ4/3 and their pancakes seems a reasonable choice for me.

you are confusing my man. you are looking for a FF sensor then you are shifting to a much smaller sensor than an APS-C because Pentax might not be able to produce a FF? your logic seems illogical. are you just looking for a way out?
02-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #2487

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Just the same as Pentax has.. now there are two camps IMO.. those apathetic, who may have one day upgraded to FF if it was available.. and the ones who are about to jump ship because they are not going to wait any longer. Pentax has helped divide the one camp of FF hopeful people and push some off to other brands.
Well, I don't think I fall into either "camp". Ricoh/Pentax has limited R&D resources, and maybe there is a camp of us who think those Yen are better spent solving more immediate needs than FF. I'm certainly not going to jump ship and give up the best of Pentax just because my ancient glass might work better on a FF sensor.

So Pentax, spend your money to take the K-5 to new heights. Don't break was isn't broke. Give us best in class AF. Give us the least noise and highest ISO (and lowest) in the industry. Bring your flash system into the 21st (or for that matter 20th) century. Provide the best line of pro lenses in the industry.

Do those things, and I think all camps will be happier. Those pining for FF will be temporaily placated, and the rest of us will be proud as peacocks showing off the results from our best in indusrty K-5+.
02-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #2488
ogl
Banned

Yes...FF and crop 2 are the same.
02-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #2489
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I like many others here share the desire in getting the most out of my FA Limiteds in the form of a FF camera, even if the real world differences between APS-C and FF results are not obvious. But in the meantime, I am enjoying what the K-5 has to offer - and it is sweet with good lenses...
Yep. I couldn't have said it better myself...
02-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #2490
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A smaller than APS-C sensor is a reasonable alternative to FF? Am I missing something?
It could be. I don't know about him, but for me it's all about the finder. If the finder is traditional, FF gets me something. If it's electronic, sensor size doesn't matter, only how good the EVF is.

(I hate current EVFs, but I don't doubt they will one day be good enough for me. I also don't doubt that most people's lower expectations will have made them my only option in new cameras before that happens, but at least they will be big and bright despite tiny sensors.)