Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 217 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #2671
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
A $2,000+ camera (and lenses) is nowhere near "entry level" in any market for a consumer electronics item.
It's an entry level FF camera, no matter how you look at it.

06-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #2672
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The D600 is expected to be about the same size as the D300, maybe a bit larger. I bet the Pentax will come in very close to that size as well.

I have long suspected that Nikon has a sweetheart deal with Sony on FF sensors. This rumor (and that's all it is) confirms.
Such rumors are old (ist-D era) and if many people refuted those, I still think they're true.
Sony will get for itself (of course) and Nikon (but Nikon will have shipment priority) and let others wait to get it.
Nothing new. But this time others may beleive this.
06-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #2673
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As for FF, I have far less doubt than dosh.
06-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #2674
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
What if those specs were leaked on April 1st as a cover.
Conspiracy theory or they just seemed to be the most logical progression

06-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #2675
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
My educated guess is that they're just logical progression... Nothing more.

But then again, one just never knows!
06-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #2676
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Some of specs are real.
06-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #2677
Pentaxian

Could you tell us precisely which ones are real?

06-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #2678
Inactive Account

Some of specs are real.
So? Thats easy to say for anyone....
06-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #2679
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
If FF is important then yes but the quality of APS-C has reach such a level that such a move is questionable if you ask me.
Sure it would be lovely to use FA77 on fullframe but you can't use the FA77 on nikon so it doesn't matter much.
If you're happy with your APS-C, you can use cheaper/lighter lenses on a FF body making it a less expensive proposition overall (assuming you're using expensive lenses now, of course).
06-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #2680
Veteran Member

Pentax FF will have higher specs and price than D600.
Hmm.....
06-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #2681
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's an entry level FF camera, no matter how you look at it.
You're parsing it.

Entry level in marketing generally means the lowest or starting point into a market.

In the DSLR market FF is not entry level, and is not designed to be, nor is the product literature for an FF saying that. In fact, they say the opposite and price it that way.

It is expected by the very design of the cameras that consumers will operate them with considerable experience prior. They are not "starting point" cameras.

This is by design. Manufacturers want you to buy more than one of their products over the course of your photography experience. Long-term marketing suggests that starting consumer sat too high a price and feature point actually turns them away from after-market and future purchases. It is far better to offer products appropriate to the skill and price comfort of each consumer. Much better ROI both for the brand and the consumer.

FF is an apex product, and is priced as such within the continuum of photography. In the overall camera market where FF competes for consumer $$$'s it is not entry level.
06-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #2682

What if it was a full frame mirrorless like one of the old film SLRs, just without the mirror and with an EV instead of an optical one?

I mean, if the IQ was good enough, and the viewfinder was of a high enough quality, I would not mind to see an slr-sized FF DSLR. Back in the day, you could walk around with two or three bodies no problem because they were flatter, smaller, and I'd even argue, tougher in some regards. These days, people walk around with a 5dMkII and its just massive.
06-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #2683
Veteran Member

You're parsing it.

Entry level in marketing generally means the lowest or starting point into a market.

In the DSLR market FF is not entry level, and is not designed to be, nor is the product literature for an FF saying that. In fact, they say the opposite and price it that way.
I'm talking about the FF market not the global DSLR market, it's an entry level FF camera not an entry level DSLR.
And i already said it like that explicate in my earlier post.
06-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #2684
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
If you're happy with your APS-C, you can use cheaper/lighter lenses on a FF body making it a less expensive proposition overall (assuming you're using expensive lenses now, of course).
And with a good enough quality, that's the point really.
A pentax camera like D800 D600 might look nice but how many of us do really need it and are willing to invest in it?

Basically when we talk about it most say that they want FF so that their old lenses are like they used to be on film, if pentax would make a camera for those people then how many new lenses will they sell?
You can't sustain FF system purely on selling bodies alone
06-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #2685
Veteran Member

if pentax would make a camera for those people then how many new lenses will they sell?
if they build new lenses that are "copies" of the old one with AF and some with weather sealing, lots of people would buy some.

When i say "old ones" i mean for example : the A15, A17, M35/1.4, 200 Macro, all "star" lenses (A85/135, ...). Those are top notch but other like 17-28 FE are unique too.

Pentax did produce some unusal lenses (limited) that used to be great and praised. they can do it again