Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #2746
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BassPeer Quote
Throwing another rangefinder camera on the market wouldn't be that intelligent because of the limitations a RF brings to a system like eg. the fact you can't mount lenses bigger than a special size because you might see the lens in the RF. Especially longer tele lenses are hard to focus due to the fixed RF field of view.
Short and crisp: A Pentax RF camera would be as nice as unreasonable due to the need of an completely new system.
Pentax is an anti rangefinder company. Expecting a rangefinder from Pentax is like expecting a truck from Ferrari.

06-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #2747
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The leica M mount could maybe work on APS-C dslr so i wouldn't mind if Pentax and Leica join hands
The FFD of the M mount is much to short to use M lenses with an SLR. I suppose Ricoh already has a GXR module with an APS-C Sensor and M mount.
06-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #2748
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax is an anti rangefinder company. Expecting a rangefinder from Pentax is like expecting a truck from Ferrari.
+1. Saburo Matsumoto, then president at Asahi Opt. Co., did not believe in rangefinders so he created, together with engineers Nobuyuki Yoshida and Ryohei Suzuki, the first Japanese 35mm SLR in 1952: the Asahiflex. At that time both Canon and Nikon were still fiddling around with rangefinder cameras. They noticed Asahi's success so in the late 50's they started to copy Asahi's ideas (like they've always done )

(Although I think I expect tractors from Lamborghini )
06-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #2749
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
It's an entry level FF camera, no matter how you look at it.
QuoteOriginally posted by BassPeer Quote
The FFD of the M mount is much to short to use M lenses with an SLR. I suppose Ricoh already has a GXR module with an APS-C Sensor and M mount.
Already there:

B&H = US$650

Ricoh GXR Mount A12 For Leica M Mount Lens 170613 B&H Photo

I think that's as far as Pentax will go towards a "rangefinder" system. Fuji's X-Pro 1 M-mount adapter is available as well.

A true rangefinder has an optical system with patch overlay alignment focussing. Very technical, very fussy, and generally not autofocus. Light and fast, however, but falls apart very wide or at tele lengths.

I have 5 RF's. Or 6. Maybe more.

06-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #2750
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
(Although I think I expect tractors from Lamborghini )
Actually, Lamborghini has a history of making tractors:

Lamborghini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
06-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #2751
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Actually, Lamborghini has a history of making tractors:

Lamborghini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
06-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #2752
Pentaxian

It is clear from the roadmap that this lens is APS only due to the color code they use on the map.
Not only form the colour, from the range too if something like 16-85mm.

06-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #2753
Inactive Account

as do aston martin, though a slightly looser connection. david brown owned both david brown tractors and aston martin at the same time. hence DB5 etc...
06-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #2754
Veteran Member

It is clear from the roadmap that this lens is APS only due to the color code they use on the map.
Color-coding is an unbreakable contract in most jurisdictions.
06-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #2755
Pentaxian

C'mon... this is a roadmap, not a contract.
06-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #2756
Inactive Account

i don't see how the colour has any sort of meaning to it? full frame lenses are all over the place, in all colour categories.
06-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #2757
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
C'mon... this is a roadmap, not a contract.
Agreed ... absolutely nothing contractual by stating what your "future (product) intentions" may approximately be one bright and sunny day ...
06-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #2758
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
i don't see how the colour has any sort of meaning to it? full frame lenses are all over the place, in all colour categories.
On the roadmap FF lenses are grey and purple. Cropped lenses are green and orange. The lens in question is orange; it is labeled DA* (cropped) and the focal lenght range strongly suggest a lens for APS. Pentax also have said it is a replacement for the 16-50. Indications doesn't come any stronger than this.
06-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #2759
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eljamoquio Quote
color-coding is an unbreakable contract in most jurisdictions.

06-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #2760
Inactive Account

On the roadmap FF lenses are grey and purple. Cropped lenses are green and orange. The lens in question is orange; it is labeled DA* (cropped) and the focal lenght range strongly suggest a lens for APS. Pentax also have said it is a replacement for the 16-50. Indications doesn't come any stronger than this.
but we all know that lots of the DAs and DA*s are FF compatible. Pentax will need to rebadge lots of lenses if they do bring out a FF camera. otherwise anyone who doesn't read this forum would think there are only like 6 current lenses that work on it!

whats more, putting it in FF colours would make it completely obvious that they are planning a FF, and would spoil all of their effort hiding it.

i don't think that the colours mean anything really. though 16 on FF is very wide.