Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #3001
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Don't tell me you don't know about the OM-G, erm, OM-D (Oly's marketing must be affecting me, I keep calling it that way ). Is exactly what you're asking Pentax to do: short registration distance, "pro" mirrorless, can use 4/3 lenses with stinkin' adapters (which coincidentally aren't free and you'd get slow AF) and with those, you even have f/2.0 zooms. Tell me, are they competing with Canikon's pro FF?
The OM-D was never intended to replace Olympus' DSLR line, and they are not referring to it as a "pro" camera. They even stated early on that it would NOT offer any tangible advantage over existing m43 bodies when it came to adapted 4/3 lenses. Had they offered PDAF and put money and R&D into making it perform well with 4/3 lenses you might have something to point at, but for now you are just throwing mud at something entirely different...

07-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #3002
Veteran Member

Does someone has a image of the inside of the Pentax 110?
07-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #3003
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Does someone has a image of the inside of the Pentax 110?
07-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #3004
Veteran Member

Since there is already a GXR mountor for Leica M lenses, I'd like to see some data about how extraordinarily well it sells.
Better than Ricoh expected, as it was virtually impossible to find for months. But the M mount is not a big seller; has a dedicated following but does not play in the high volume market.

07-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #3005
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
The OM-D was never intended to replace Olympus' DSLR line, and they are not referring to it as a "pro" camera. They even stated early on that it would NOT offer any tangible advantage over existing m43 bodies when it came to adapted 4/3 lenses. Had they offered PDAF and put money and R&D into making it perform well with 4/3 lenses you might have something to point at, but for now you are just throwing mud at something entirely different...
LOL, the E5 is likely the last 4/3 they will produce. the OMD is the defacto replacement therefore they should have addressed it as a means of retaining their pro shooters Effectively they have exited the DSLR market , and unless some things change soon it's quite possible they will exit all markets
the camera business has been the big drain on the company that led to the idiocy of the last 20 years. the medical division is what kept them afloat.
Too bad really because i like the latest Oly product, it fits a niche nicely (not a niche for me, but still nice kit)
07-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #3006
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
LOL, the E5 is likely the last 4/3 they will produce. the OMD is the defacto replacement therefore they should have addressed it as a means of retaining their pro shooters Effectively they have exited the DSLR market , and unless some things change soon it's quite possible they will exit all markets
the camera business has been the big drain on the company that led to the idiocy of the last 20 years. the medical division is what kept them afloat.
Too bad really because i like the latest Oly product, it fits a niche nicely (not a niche for me, but still nice kit)
Well, Olympus have stated they are not dropping the 4/3 line. Don't be offended, but I pay more attention to them than to a poster on a Pentax forum.

Whether 4/3 will continue as an updated E-5 or something along the lines of an E-M5 with PDAF remains to be seen though.
07-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #3007
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
-image-
I meant half cut so i can see the mirror and such, the 110 mount has 27mm register so if it has 3mm clearance then that is all the proof i need for Leica-M and APS-C SLR.

07-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #3008
Banned

Ricoh #461 on Global 500!

Before everyone is thinking that Ricoh is rich:

Ricoh - RICOY - Fortune Global 500 Top Companies

I think the global economy is taking hard on everyone (except oilcompany's) and Pentax has to be profatable.
07-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #3009
Pentaxian

Anvh: I am annoying?

A. Do that little drawing exercise, then we'll talk. Seeing with your own eyes is better than some number you'll quickly dismiss/ignore, anyway.
B. How do you know they don't plan to make one, ever? Even if they would currently have no such plans, how would they know that in few years the market conditions would change? Then, weakened by the just-because mount change, also without being able to adapt... it wouldn't be pretty.

You're very inconsistent, one of the reasons you are terribly annoying. Decide on a size, FFS!
I'm sure your 27mm DSLR won't possibly work, not with decent results - but I won't stop you trying. Just... try a little harder than your usual, please; don't completely waste our time.
By the way, why are you assuming the mirror's length is sqrt(2*frame_height^2)?

Now you're showing a different technology (while claiming it's the same) and which apparently is based on liquid crystals and can't work as a switchable mirror, but as an opaque glass. It does seem to switch quite fast for a window, but a SLR mirror can "switch" in less than 50ms, and I'm very generous here.

pingflood: I thought Anvh was talking about an OM-G like camera as a pro FF competitor, as that's the only way to have a significant reduction in registration distance but it seems I was wrong; it's in fact a camera like the E-5 just with fewer lenses I'm using Olympus as an example because they tried to go "pro" with 4/3, and they aren't with their best m4/3. If they couldn't/can't do it, why would Pentax?
You'll have to get used with me calling it the OM-G. Sorry

About the M mount, it seems we agree; there is a market but nowhere near big enough for Pentax. Not to go as far as doing something as stupid as adopting the M mount (forgetting that's technically impossible with a SLR)
07-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #3010
Veteran Member

pingflood: I thought Anvh was talking about an OM-G like camera as a pro FF competitor, as that's the only way to have a significant reduction in registration distance but it seems I was wrong; it's in fact a camera like the E-5 just with fewer lenses I'm using Olympus as an example because they tried to go "pro" with 4/3, and they aren't with their best m4/3. If they couldn't/can't do it, why would Pentax?
You'll have to get used with me calling it the OM-G. Sorry

About the M mount, it seems we agree; there is a market but nowhere near big enough for Pentax. Not to go as far as doing something as stupid as adopting the M mount (forgetting that's technically impossible with a SLR)
Well, I still stick to my statement that the OM-D is not a "pro" camera, nor has Olympus tried to market it as one. If they tried to replace 4/3 with it, we can only speculate as to the result. It could have been fantastic, or it could have been a total failure. Maybe we will see an E-5 replacement soon and then we can see how things end up.

By the way, entirely off topic for this thread, but do you have any suggested places to visit in Romania? My brother and I like to take some short Europe trips to the less touristy places (where you can usually find good food, a bed to sleep in, and people who aren't out to take your money), and he mentioned Romania as a possible next destination for us...
07-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #3011
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I meant half cut so i can see the mirror and such, the 110 mount has 27mm register so if it has 3mm clearance then that is all the proof i need for Leica-M and APS-C SLR.
Well you have a few problems in your search.

- Pentax auto 110 is smaller filmsize, only 4/3th sensor of Olympus would fit with a hight of 13mm.
- Pentax auto 110 lenses don't go that far into the mount then Leica-M lenses do. Giving more room for a mirror.

So My position is that M-mount and any sensor aps-c or bigger won't work with an oldschool mirror.
07-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #3012
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

So My position is that M-mount and any sensor aps-c or bigger won't work with an oldschool mirror.
Visoflex anyone ?
07-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #3013
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
Visoflex anyone ?
Only heard of Luxaflex, but it excists: Visoflex - Leica Wiki (English)

This doesn't make the camera smaller then K-mount dslr (or mirrorless), wich was the intention for the search.
07-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #3014
Veteran Member

Anvh: I am annoying?

A. Do that little drawing exercise, then we'll talk. Seeing with your own eyes is better than some number you'll quickly dismiss/ignore, anyway.
B. How do you know they don't plan to make one, ever? Even if they would currently have no such plans, how would they know that in few years the market conditions would change? Then, weakened by the just-because mount change, also without being able to adapt... it wouldn't be pretty.

You're very inconsistent, one of the reasons you are terribly annoying. Decide on a size, FFS!
I'm sure your 27mm DSLR won't possibly work, not with decent results - but I won't stop you trying. Just... try a little harder than your usual, please; don't completely waste our time.
By the way, why are you assuming the mirror's length is sqrt(2*frame_height^2)?

Now you're showing a different technology (while claiming it's the same) and which apparently is based on liquid crystals and can't work as a switchable mirror, but as an opaque glass. It does seem to switch quite fast for a window, but a SLR mirror can "switch" in less than 50ms, and I'm very generous here.
Yes you're but it doesn't matter for me.

a. i'll i promissed i'll do that right but not with the K5.
b. I don't and i never claimed they never will or will not, Like i said i believe 10 times already i said Pentax should get a new mount for APS-C IF they don't make a FF camera but want to compete with nikon and canon FF with the APS-C.
Is it clear now or should i copy and past it a couple of times? That you are under the assumption i claimed things i never said or said that Pentax needs a new mount right now is simply is your problem.

Like i said i chose the biggest APS there was just to be on the safe side and now you're claiming i'm inconsistent.... *sighs* it's never good is it?
Good one since the light doesn't hit the sensor completely parallel right but how much of a difference does it make

You're once again completely ignore the fact you're only poking at me but you never answered a single question about something you said, well it does show character! But don't come to me that i'm wasting your time since you never took a single second to answer one of my questions so you've no right to complain.

Well since you know it so better about the electric mirror why on earth should i explain it to you, you already know it right?
You want a confirmation from me, well for you it's indeed completely correct, do you feel better now?

psssh don't tell Kunzite but they can make one with 40ms switching time.
http://www.tnw.tudelft.nl/fileadmin/Faculteit/TNW/Over_de_faculteit/Afdeling...s-vanGeest.pdf

Last edited by Anvh; 07-09-2012 at 12:59 PM.
07-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #3015
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Well, Olympus have stated they are not dropping the 4/3 line. Don't be offended, but I pay more attention to them than to a poster on a Pentax forum.

Whether 4/3 will continue as an updated E-5 or something along the lines of an E-M5 with PDAF remains to be seen though.
I pay attention and at the moment they have yet to find an investor. they haven't closed the deal with Sony Without a serious capityal infusion Oly will end up broken up, and the camera division is the least appealing offering
they have some good product, but at the pro level the E5 (and predecessors ) never matched the competition. nice kit but underperformed and with very little support. in many ways worse than trying to be a Pentax pro shooter - the 4/3 decision was a bad one and the m4/3 was the right move - create a market that isolates the product from the other brands and create a niche - well done actually, but they still struggle to make money