Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 12:44 PM - 12 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Full Frame - An official statement from Pentax (they listened!)

Last month, the owner of Pentaxeros.com (Spanish Pentax community/store) and I joined forces and wrote a letter to Pentax presenting a case for why Pentax needs to work on developing a full-frame DSLR.

The list of reasons what quite elaborate (here's a brief summary):
QuoteQuote:
1. Every year, thousands of Pentax users sell their equipment and switch systems to other brands. Even Sony, which hasn't been in the DSLR business for very long, has made a full-frame body available. We believe that if Pentax were able to deliver a complete full-frame system, many more users would remain loyal to the brand.

2. The gap between the 645D and the K-5 is too large, and the 645D is only a good choice for a small subset of professionals.

3. All other major DSLR manufacturers have a full-frame camera, and are well-known because of their complete lineup.

4. Modern high-resolution APS-C sensors may soon start out-resolving most of the current lenses on the market and becoming subject to diffraction.

5. Considering the success of the K-5, future APS-C bodies, with whatever improvements they may bring, won't give current users as much of an incentive to upgrade as a full-frame body would.

6. A large portion of Pentax users has been awaiting a full-frame for years. If Pentax were to produce such a camera, not only would these users be satisfied, but sales would likely be very high. Futhermore, there are extremely many users with older Pentax bodies (*ist, K10D, K20D) who aren't upgrading to the more recent high-end models simply because they're not full-frame bodies or any big leaps.

7. Pentax users need to be able to continue trusting in the brand and know that the DSLR division is moving forward.

8. Pentax currently has a number of available-full-frame lenses (FA Limiteds) and has produced such lenses (FA) in the past. Why not build upon these designs in a future full-frame lineup?

9. Even users who have invested extensively in the Pentax DA (APS-C) lens lineup could consider upgrading to the full-frame body if it were to automatically support APS-C format lenses (by reducting the image size and indicating this in the viewfinder, like Nikon DSLRs do).

10. A number of Pentax users who shoot professionally are use two brands in order to gain access to a full-frame body. If Pentax were to bring a full-frame DSLR, those users would invest more in Pentax products.

11. The Pentax system is unique in that it allows users to take advantage of thousands of legacy K-mount and M42 mount lenses. A full-frame body would continue to be compatible with these lenses, and users would be able to take full advantage of their fields of view.

We also stated that key features of such a body should include a flash sync speed higher than the current 1/180s, an overhauled autofocus system, and sensitivity and framerate higher than that of the K-5.
In any case, Pentax listened! Not only did we get a written response from the president of Pentax Europe, but he assured us that management in Japan (as well as the R&D department in Europe) will be forwarded our feedback, and that (following acquisition by Ricoh) the company plans on expanding its Advanced Amateur and Professional product lines. Once I get permission to post the letter, I will attach in in this thread!

Update: here is the response from Pentax

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Good news, if it comes out soon !
(The DSLR )
10-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Good news! Not the news itself and whatever it may be, but the fact that they listened and responded
10-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
nice! (only thing I can say right now..!)

I myself have not been "waiting" for a FF Pentax Dslr, but... I Sometimes, but only sometimes, Wish my K20d had a FF sensor and the Autofocus, DR and ISO capabilities that match or outperform the K-5 .. but.. I'd still like to use my DA and DA* lenses .. and I would never ever let go of Franklin.. (my K20d) .. and pentax can still have a product line for serious amateurs .. ..

Live Life! Pentax!

10-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #5

it is good new but doesnt really concern me b/c i cant afford nor would I make use of a ff body. but like i said still good news.
10-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Good news! Even though I don't expect them to tell much specific for now and don't know how much an effect can a couple of forums have.
10-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I can already taste the ultra thin DOF

10-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
It would be a nice option to have. After all, we have millions of FF glass around
10-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #9

Sounds like Ricoh is making out to be a great custodian of the Pentax brand by taking in feedback from their devoted userbase. I have had this inclination early on. I'm one of the few that WILL gladly pony up the cash for this beast... can't wait!
10-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I'd buy gobs and gobs of Pentax full frame stuff.

FA 31, FA 43, Pentax-K 35/3.5, DA* 55 (which everybody knows is FF anyway).

And the Voigtländer 58. Heck, I'd bet Voigtländer would resuscitate the SL II KA line.

And more and more.

Last edited by Aegon; 10-18-2011 at 02:55 PM.
10-18-2011, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AWESOME!! Thx Adam.

I knew Ricoh wanted to be a real player in this game.

Looking forward to reading the text of the letter.

Thanks, Adam.

10-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Let's see, I have 11 FF lenses and 3 DA lenses, I could go full frame, but I can't even afford a K-5 at the moment. A full frame body would likely be 3k+.
10-18-2011, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I do not believe Ricoh decided yet if they should launch a "FF" DSLR or not. IMHO it's much more likely than with cost-cutting Hoya, but still - it's not a given. And even if they'll do it (I hope so), it will still take time (IMO even Photokina is too early), it won't match the speed of the 1D X, it will cost more than a penny and so on There's reason to be optimistic, but too much excitement can result in disappointment.
"the company plans on expanding its Advanced Amateur and Professional product lines" - yep, they surely do. Good luck, Pentax/Ricoh! You'll have my support (yeah, there are still some items on my shopping list ).

L.E. Thanks, Adam - nice work!
With one thing I disagree with, that such a camera should have "framerate higher than that of the K-5". That's faster than the D3x - and I'd rather like a whisper-quiet camera, than a machine gun.

Last edited by Kunzite; 10-18-2011 at 01:46 PM.
10-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good work Adam.
Makes a lot of sense for Pentax to listen. This forum is full of FF interest.
Thanks for putting in that effort to write to Pentax.
10-18-2011, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I´m anti-FF, but it´s nice to hear that Ricoh are going to invest in the advanced amateur section, where Pentax competes best.