Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #226
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tohax Quote
it is true that nikon's sensor are manufactured by sony, but as far as I know, nikon design it's own sensor. so I think with the new management and more cash on hand, pentax can do the same way. or maybe, make a new collaboration with other sensor manufacturer. like toshiba or fujitsu. sony outsources some of it's apsc manufacturing to fujitsu lately.
Fujji's new sensor is also rumoured to be their reqork on a sony

thing is in the current market Sony really is making the best sensors in CMOS and have really put their industrial muscle behind being the market leader in that area. Toshiba is nothing in CMOS comparitively. I doubt samsung will be interested after the last partnership - and i've seennothing to show they have a sensor good enough to compete at the top levels either right now

The sensor will be the same the color filters and aa filter implementation as well as how the file is handled is Nikon (or Pentax in the case of the Kx K-01 Kr K5 Q). same with the k 5 sensor. they come from the same sheet though it's how they are fabbed after that changes things. Nikon works with Sony on the design certainly (since they are the biggest consumer of the sensor being built)

what drives what will be available is what nikon is buying since they will still consume at least 70% of the output even with Pentax added in to the mix. The D4 sensor may well also be an exclusive we'll have to see whether Sony uses it anywhere (16.4 mp on FF would be poor for a camera implementing an apsc crop for DA lens users leaving an 6-7MP or so file right back to ist d series D,Ds, DL, DL2, and the K100/110) - 24MP would at least leave a K10 K200 file equivalent size in apsc.

If the D800 and 5Dmk3 are both 30 mp plus then a 16m-18mp pentax would have a hell of a time finding a market at the price they would need to sell at to justify a custom sensor cost for smaller runs ( use the same size as nikon and sony and all 3 benefit from a reduced cost on the sensor with Pentax seeing the least benefit because they buy the least initially - so they have another constraint on their pricing - i imagine Pentax will pay 10-15% more for the same sensor due to reduced purchasing volume - if the Nikon is paying $450 for the sensor Pentax will pay $5-525)

02-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #227

would love to hold that ff pentax in my grubby paws
02-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #228

QuoteOriginally posted by tohax Quote
Adam, I think what you have done to Pentax and all of their loyal customers is great! if I were the CEO of Pentax-Ricoh, I would awarded you with a medal LOL
and ofcourse, I would make pentax to take over the funding of this website. please tell them to come here and say hello to us
Adam, you are a gentleman and a scholar!
02-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #229
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
As far as I see it, Pentax has two options: either make the full-frame very affordable and/or compact without sacrificing performance, or get rid of the mirror, add an evf, and make the first professional mirrorless camera. And if they were to do that, I'm sure they'd dominate the market just like they did with the spotmatic. Though considering current AF technology, we may yet have to wait a little while for pro mirrorless cameras to become feasible...

In any case, the 80-page letter is in the mail. In addition to the letter, we are including thousands of comments from YOU, the community, to show how big the enthusiasm for a FF camera truly is.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #230

I'm staying hopeful that if Nikon can release a D800 at about $3,000, perhaps Pentax can too. That being said, did you look at comments from the Pentax Full-Frame Facebook page? There were some rather good ones (self plug - mine included xD).
02-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #231
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tjk911 Quote
I'm staying hopeful that if Nikon can release a D800 at about $3,000, perhaps Pentax can too. That being said, did you look at comments from the Pentax Full-Frame Facebook page? There were some rather good ones (self plug - mine included xD).
I'm sure yours made it into the letter then

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #232

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Pentax owners ... we do sustain ourselves on Hope'ium.
My hope is because they released a lens roadmap to keep some people happy, they'll release a fullframe plan to keep everyone happy.
02-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #233
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As far as I see it, Pentax has two options: either make the full-frame very affordable and/or compact without sacrificing performance, or get rid of the mirror, add an evf, and make the first professional mirrorless camera. And if they were to do that, I'm sure they'd dominate the market just like they did with the spotmatic. Though considering current AF technology, we may yet have to wait a little while for pro mirrorless cameras to become feasible...

In any case, the 80-page letter is in the mail. In addition to the letter, we are including thousands of comments from YOU, the community, to show how big the enthusiasm for a FF camera truly is.

that's what I've been thinking, a sub $2000 professional mirrorless FF camera with high-end features. this will be a profitable niche for pentax, since the only competitor is Leica M with premium price. and make some other premium compact lenses.

02-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #234
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As far as I see it, Pentax has two options: either make the full-frame very affordable and/or compact without sacrificing performance, or get rid of the mirror, add an evf, and make the first professional mirrorless camera.
Adam, I would normally disagree and argue that the second option would have to be based on the first one.

However, with the K-01, i.e., sharing the K-mount between mirrored and mirrorless, Pentax obtained the option to exactly this: Release a mirrorless full frame K-? with EVF. Because then they could still make a K mount FF dSLR later on and share most of the lenses and users.

With the release of the D800E, it may indeed be Pentax best option ATM.

However, some may not consider this be a Pentax first: the FF SLT A99 may be considered first. But then there is the universe of Pentax glass ...
02-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #235
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Pentax said in the interview: "We won't create a FF camera unless we are able to fill a unique gap in the market, such that our camera is different in some way or another". Better than saying they won't make one, right?

The preliminary text is up in the other thread, but not the official translation.

Adam

02-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #236
Forum Member

still not an exciting news. so what does it mean? there's completely no other unique gap for the moment? c'mon man!
02-11-2012, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #237

Pentax said in the interview: "We won't create a FF camera unless we are able to fill a unique gap in the market, such that our camera is different in some way or another". Better than saying they won't make one, right?

The preliminary text is up in the other thread, but not the official translation.
Hold on while I go find a corner of my room to cry in.
02-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #238
Pentaxian

Pentax said in the interview: "We won't create a FF camera unless we are able to fill a unique gap in the market, such that our camera is different in some way or another". Better than saying they won't make one, right? The preliminary text is up in the other thread, but not the official translation.

Well, that was 30 years well spent. Anybody want a K20d and some nice lenses?
02-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #239

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Agreed, I think I've found my camera if we don't see a full frame Pentax this year, but there is one feature that the D800 is sorely missing - a K mount.
Wait for Canon's response and any announcements at Photokina. At least you can manual focus the Kmount lenses on a Canon. If they bring out something comparable to the D800, I'm in.

I still hope for an FF announcement this year from Pentax.
02-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #240
Veteran Member

Well good luck, lets hope Pentax don't feel there self pushed now to bring out a FF since we don't want them see them fail right?
With that i mean that they will bring something proftiable to the market.