Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #481
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisTrevino Quote
What are the odds that when they finally introduce a Full-Frame Camera they will also introduce a new Mount for it so they can sell New "Pro" Lenses? The Q had it's own lens mount. They did later make the 01 though. I'd also like to see a faster Sync Speed than 1/180th but meh, I can tolerate it.
While there's no need to create a new mount, they could add another contact that communicates the focusing distance of the lens to the body and call it the KAF4 mount. That would help with 3D object tracking and be a huge boost to consistency of pTTL. Nikon does this with their "D" lenses I think.

I too would love to see a faster sync speed, though that isn't a function of the lens mount, rather the shutter. In fact there are two Pentax cameras that I know of, the Z-1 and the Z-1p, that have a sync speed of 1/250th.

But why stop there? They could employ a hybrid shutter system like the Nikon D70. The way it works is the shutter release button is pressed, the first curtain slides fully open, then the sensor begins recording whatever brief slice of time the user specifies, the sensor finishes recording and shuts off, the second curtain slides shut, both curtains reset. It's a great trick for killing off that annoying "daylight" stuff, and lets you get some gorgeous colors in the sky while maintaining the correct exposure on your subject via the flash. The D70 has something of a cult following among strobists because of this feature, but that camera only has a 6.1mp sensor. For whatever reason Nikon abandoned the hybrid shutter system for a traditional max sync speed (probably to sell fancy HSS flashes) My point: Pentax could lure hoards of strobists to the brand by marketing a 16mp+ APS-C or full frame camera by advertising "Max sync speed 1/8000th"

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 05-19-2012 at 06:14 PM.
05-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #482
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It isn't like Nikon ditched their bayonet mount when they went af nor did they do it when the went digital aps-c and then full frame. The earliest version of there mount goes back long before the K-mount was introduced in 1975. What Pentax kept with their 3 mounts going back to 1952 is the registration distance, and that is what allows most lenses to work on our digital bodies. Those mounts were M37, M42, and K mount with all its iterations. Canon had to make their switch to go from breech lock to EOS in order to facilitate AF. However, the went with a different registration distance which orphaned 99% of the FD and earlier lenses. I personally believe it would be a disaster for Pentax to ditch the K-mound for their dSLR whether they are aps-c or full frame.
05-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #483
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If a Nikon D600 at $1500 to $1700 doesn't do it, I don't know what will. Who will by a K-3 or whatever the K-5 replacement at a $1400 or $1500 price for the flagship aps-c.

More Nikon D600 specs | Nikon Rumors

I don't see Pentax leaving out a $25 focus motor due to the FA ltd series, FA 35, FA 50 and D FA 100 WR. Plus I would expect to see some signature Pentax things from the K-5 etc like dual wheels, possibly WR and SR. Some have argued that the above Nikon is stripped down but heck.
[/COLOR][/LEFT]
What the D600 does is provide a product for all the "I need FF now hype" at a price point that makes people do exactly that..... go hummm...$1500 flagship APS-C or $1600 FF? What they don't realize is that the K5 replacement will still probably out spec/perform the D600. The only advantage the D600 would have is the FF FOV/DOF and the fact that it can build on the FF hype. They will sell many of them....
05-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #484
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
The only advantage the D600 would have is the FF FOV/DOF
For some that's a small advantage, for others it's huge. DoF and FoV are what drive me nuts about APS-C, it isn't the image quality. That and the cramped, hard-to-focus viewfinder.

I suspect that Nikon is selling the D800 and the upcoming D600 close to cost in order to squeeze out the competition, though I'm sure they'll make up for it by selling FX lenses to all these people. They're not selling them at a loss though, so what that means is the cost of FF sensors is falling to levels that are within Pentax/Ricoh's ability to successfully utilize in their own FF offerings.

05-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #485
Pentaxian

Agreed. I never said I didn't exclude myself from the fov/dof advantage category.

With the inclusion of the af motor the D600 has potentially saved me from purchasing an 800.

Would I still buy a Pentax FF if I had the Nikon? You bet! I got to many M series lenses and that FA77 to do otherwise.
05-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #486

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
For some that's a small advantage, for others it's huge. DoF and FoV are what drive me nuts about APS-C, it isn't the image quality. That and the cramped, hard-to-focus viewfinder.
For photojournalists and sports photographers (points to self), that DOF and FOV makes a huge difference. I cringe whenever I compare a 70-200mm f2.8 on FF and my 50-135mm f2.8 shots. Le sigh.

If the D600 turns out to be real, I'll be forced to retire my K-5 once I save enough to jump. Right now I can't even justify buying Pentax glass anymore, with no FF in the horizon.
05-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #487

Right now, the Nikon D800 has the best FF sensor on the market. So good that supply can't keep up with demand. Pentax has made great strides to start competing with the "hotshots" and if Pentax really wants to get in the game for real, they really need to get their digital noise under control and create a Full Frame Sensor that can rival the Nikon D800. Granted, that means they will also have to develop a whole new series of lenses to keep up, but this is the direction the industry is going. I have to believe this is in the works at Pentax and they will continue to be tight lipped until they produce something worthy of releasing to the consumer. It will have to be stellar, so I look forward to what they come up with. Lets send out the good vibe.

How were you able to get that cool looking Pentax K20D and K5 proud owner avatar to show up on your post? I would like to have that on my posts too.
Thanks,
Don
05-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #488

QuoteOriginally posted by donaldchalfy Quote
How were you able to get that cool looking Pentax K20D and K5 proud owner avatar to show up on your post? I would like to have that on my posts too.
Thanks,
Don
I'm keeping fingers crossed that Pentax wouldn't have to spend too much on R&D for new FF lenses. Quite a few of their lenses right now cover FF, and they do have their old FA lines that they could revamp.

And about the signature, here's the link.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/67605-pentax-k-5-k...ture-tags.html

05-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #489
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If a Nikon D600 at $1500 to $1700 doesn't do it, I don't know what will. Who will by a K-3 or whatever the K-5 replacement at a $1400 or $1500 price for the flagship aps-c.

More Nikon D600 specs | Nikon Rumors

I don't see Pentax leaving out a $25 focus motor due to the FA ltd series, FA 35, FA 50 and D FA 100 WR. Plus I would expect to see some signature Pentax things from the K-5 etc like dual wheels, possibly WR and SR. Some have argued that the above Nikon is stripped down but heck.
[/COLOR][/LEFT]
doesn't look overly stripped down, I still have trouble believing the price will be that low. if it is the entire market changes overnight
05-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #490
Veteran Member

Right now, the Nikon D800 has the best FF sensor on the market. So good that supply can't keep up with demand. Pentax has made great strides to start competing with the "hotshots" and if Pentax really wants to get in the game for real, they really need to get their digital noise under control and create a Full Frame Sensor that can rival the Nikon D800. Granted, that means they will also have to develop a whole new series of lenses to keep up, but this is the direction the industry is going. I have to believe this is in the works at Pentax and they will continue to be tight lipped until they produce something worthy of releasing to the consumer. It will have to be stellar, so I look forward to what they come up with. Lets send out the good vibe.

Thanks,
Don

Huh? I'm certainly not aware of Pentax ever creating their own sensor. The most recent business models have been sharing sensors with Sony (manufacturer) and Nikon, and before that Samsung (manufacturer).
05-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #491
Veteran Member

You know the one part of the rumor I love (ok one of many parts)?

'Announcement before Photokina'

That's a decision that comes from a company that's thinking.
05-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #492
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
You know the one part of the rumor I love (ok one of many parts)?

'Announcement before Photokina'

That's a decision that comes from a company that's thinking.
that could mean the day before LOL so they can steal the thunder of the show - I be there are a few jockeying for position on that the week before photokina will be full of camera noise
05-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #493
Veteran Member

Exactly.

Some other company, on the first day of the show... 'Look how many colors we have!.... ...where'd everybody go ????'
05-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #494
Site Supporter

Thanks,
Don
Some would argue that the 16mp sensor in the new D4 is the better sensor.
05-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #495
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Exactly.

Some other company, on the first day of the show... 'Look how many colors we have!.... ...where'd everybody go ????'
or said company could start leaking a FF with interchangeable finders and shut down Nikons thunder

We can all dream