Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 155 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #496
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
or said company could start leaking a FF with interchangeable finders and shut down Nikons thunder

We can all dream
Ned is 7 feet tall and can blow lightning bolts out of his arse . . . wait wrong movie. laugh

05-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #497
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
or said company could start leaking a FF with interchangeable finders and shut down Nikons thunder

We can all dream
Indeed!

With the D800 already in customer's hands, and the D600 announced, it will be tough for Pentax to find a large audience for their Press Release.

On the other hand, if Pentax announced a sub $2k FF before the D600 was announced, they'd have a lot of response. Heck, I don't even necessarily WANT a $2k FF, depending on what features get cut, but it sure would give the Pentax brandname the type of media response it hasn't had in the digital era.
05-24-2012, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #498
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax aren't known to make cameras that leave out features just to cut down on cost. They've excelled at producing prosumer and enthusiast-style feature-packed tools that are practical and robust yet still being affordable. I'm sure there are others around as myself that would rather not invest in an 'entry-level' FF - if I'm going to spend that kind of money I'll spend it on a tool that meets my photographic needs, more in line with what the K-5 offers - no stripping down just to sell it cheaper.
05-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #499
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Pentax aren't known to make cameras that leave out features just to cut down on cost. They've excelled at producing prosumer and enthusiast-style feature-packed tools that are practical and robust yet still being affordable. I'm sure there are others around as myself that would rather not invest in an 'entry-level' FF - if I'm going to spend that kind of money I'll spend it on a tool that meets my photographic needs, more in line with what the K-5 offers - no stripping down just to sell it cheaper.
I'm not sure when you've purchased your cameras, etc., but in the past few years, the cameras have cost on-par with Nikon, etc., which is OK by me because of advantages of SR, size, etc. However the lenses are now pretty gosh-darn expensive, now, too. When I did my 5D MKII comparison to the k-5 it was thousands of dollars difference in total. I'm not sure what the price delta would be now, but it certainly went down.

05-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #500
Site Supporter

Exactly and I don't see them leaving a screw drive motor out of a model.
05-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #501
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax aren't known to make cameras that leave out features just to cut down on cost.
Wait, what? I'm a Pentax fan, but let's list:
  • old-style TTL
  • aperture coupling in lens mount
  • and not to forget: no AF-point indicators in the K-x

that last was a marketing mistake they're not like to repeat, but Pentax certainly does cut out features to reduce cost — and not, before someone says it, just under Hoya's direction.

Now, they're pretty good about not reserving software features for only their higher-end models. Nikon and Canon do that routinely, because if you're one of the top companies, your main competitor is often your other lines. Smaller companies have the luxury of not worrying about that — but still, Pentax has left things like AF microadjust and the multiple user modes out of lower models.
05-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I for one don't even need AF so long as there is focus peaking. I might as well go as far to say that the camera does not even have to take color photos. But, I do want a kick ass sensor. I will do the rest, really.

05-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Wait, what? I'm a Pentax fan, but let's list:
  • old-style TTL
  • aperture coupling in lens mount
  • and not to forget: no AF-point indicators in the K-x

that last was a marketing mistake they're not like to repeat, but Pentax certainly does cut out features to reduce cost — and not, before someone says it, just under Hoya's direction.

Now, they're pretty good about not reserving software features for only their higher-end models. Nikon and Canon do that routinely, because if you're one of the top companies, your main competitor is often your other lines. Smaller companies have the luxury of not worrying about that — but still, Pentax has left things like AF microadjust and the multiple user modes out of lower models.
Dropping the old style TTL has a technical reason.

TTL used to be measured from light reflected from the film, i dont know the details but they cant accurately measure from sensors so they moved the light meter inside the viewfinder and thats why we now need a pre-flash because the mirror must be down so it can meter.

And about software, the K30 has AF microadjustments so things are going the right way.
I doubt the lowest model will have it because this feature is hard to correctly use and can cause problems if the values are off.
05-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #504
Banned

Didn't read the whole thread, but what is there to cut down from a K-5? A little bigger body then K-5 (but in that style) with a FF sensor and new electronics (PRIME M from K-01 would be the cheapest) would make it a pretty basic (and slow compared to others) DSLR.
05-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #505
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Now, they're pretty good about not reserving software features for only their higher-end models.
Tethering?

It's so bloody simple to implement but it's not being done and it sits like an ugly "can't do" over the brand.
05-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #506
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And how about a minimum shutter speed option? Like Auto ISO.

My MZ-S has the ability to Hold the SS through a dedicated switch. Brilliant for taking photos of kids or any situation where you know your handheld limits.
05-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #507
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Dropping the old style TTL has a technical reason.

TTL used to be measured from light reflected from the film, i dont know the details but they cant accurately measure from sensors so they moved the light meter inside the viewfinder and thats why we now need a pre-flash because the mirror must be down so it can meter.
Eh, so they say. It also saves money. I think they probably could have engineered a clever solution — but the P-TTL approach is cheaper and works well enough.
05-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #508
Veteran Member

Saves money in what way?
05-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Saves money in what way?
No need for a separate RGB flash sensor.

That and superior tracking AF are reasons why Nikon's are larger in body size than Pentax cameras.
05-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #510
Veteran Member

But there never was a separate RGB flash sensor, so should they put more hardware in to keep a feature or should they keep the hardware the same.
Depends on your point of view really.

I would love to see the size of those components now

and.... nikon doesn't have TTL either with digital so would love to see the proof they use a separate meter for the flash light now.

http://photo.net/equipment/nikon/guide-to-ttl-flashes/
QuoteQuote:
In 1999, Nikon released its first digital SLR, the D1. The new problem then was that the digital sensor and the anti-aliasing filter in front of it did not reflect light the same way traditional film does. As a result, Nikon had to modify its TTL flash technology as it was no longer possible to measure the amount of reflected light during the actual exposure. Instead, Nikon used pre-flashes and measured their strength to determine how much flash power was needed.

---

The pre-flash is still required for digital, but it takes place slightly earlier in the exposure cycle, before the mirror flips up. Therefore, pre-flash exposure is measured inside the viewfinder instead of inside the mirror box.

here is a D3, doesn't look like the components are bigger.

k5

Last edited by Anvh; 05-25-2012 at 09:22 AM.