Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #721

Photos: Albums
Pentax to release an FF camera/Pentax not to release an FF camera.

It seems like just a pipe dream to me, not to mention (without being labeled a "nay sayer") the amount of lenses that would need to be planned, as well as how many people would actually buy it, other than Pentax users.

I understand that Pentax's current line-up is painfully limited, and with only the K-01, the K-30 and the K-r (I think) still in production, where is Pentax going to go? I doubt Full Frame is the way.

I'm guessing the film era was easier, with Pentax having more of an influence? The lenses must have been brilliant then, too…

Someone please tell me if I am making no sense, I am still young, remember

07-15-2012, 03:37 AM   #722
Pentaxian

K-r is discontinued, says Pentax Japan. K-5 is probably out of production, since we're expecting its replacement. But it is a mistake to look at the currently in production cameras and think, that's it; they barely started with the K-30.

I have no doubt the Pentax K-mount line is expanding (and they will not stop at whatever we'll see at Photokina). Does that include a FF, I do not know; we'll see. You are absolutely right in saying it's not a trivial task, and it mostly depends on us being prepared to spend FF money.

Being young is a state of mind
07-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #723
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
K-r is discontinued, says Pentax Japan. K-5 is probably out of production, since we're expecting its replacement. But it is a mistake to look at the currently in production cameras and think, that's it; they barely started with the K-30.

I have no doubt the Pentax K-mount line is expanding (and they will not stop at whatever we'll see at Photokina). Does that include a FF, I do not know; we'll see. You are absolutely right in saying it's not a trivial task, and it mostly depends on us being prepared to spend FF money.

Being young is a state of mind
THere is a local photography store in my city. For more than 30 years they have served the community, they still have a brand new Pentax K20D brand new in box for sale fo $600. The internet competition has reduced this store to a shop where they clean up cameras, take passport photos, and sell most of the gear you can get cheaply. No large brand names. The owner is disapointed with Pentax since they dropped all support for their dealerships. Pentax does not advertise, so, relying in the Pentax cult only as part of a business model is not clear to me. I hope Ricoh start doing something about it. Right now the only incentive people have to get into Pentax is the low prices compared to Canikon and the on-camera shake reduction. People still remember the great quality of the Pentax lenses as compared to Canikon, but not only of old lenses can live a business model.
07-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #724
Pentaxian

I do not think selling cheap would be a good strategy. They tried that, it didn't worked and now they're fighting with the image of a cheap brand.
What else can be done? Well, look at the K-30.

07-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #725
Loyal Site Supporter

Full Frame Support

I would certainly love to see Pentax come out with a full frame camera with similar functionality and ergonomics to their K7, K5 and 645D. I though the 645D was a magnificent step and definitely put Pentax back on the medium format map, and I believe that a full frame shows that they are a serious player in the DSLR world.

But, I have to say, I have about given up on a full frame camera from Pentax. The only thing that keeps that small full frame flame alive is the story of the 645D. That took a long time as well but when it arrived it was perfect.

Xing my fingers.
07-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #726
Pentaxian

Expanding the lens line by like 2 or 3 lenses in a year for the 645D and the DA line is already a great step ahead if I were to be asked. I do believe Pentax will have its FF sooner or later, I don't know when, but as far as development goes I'm happy with what they've done to the AF system of the K-30. Hopefully the K-5 successor will have a much better one with just as great an IQ.

Just makes me wonder if there will ever be a K-300...
07-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #727
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Just makes me wonder if there will ever be a K-300...
Or maybe a PZ-2P? An LXii?? Perhaps an MZ-D? Lots to choose from without adopting a quasi-Canon strategy.
07-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #728
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Or maybe a PZ-2P? An LXii?? Perhaps an MZ-D? Lots to choose from without adopting a quasi-Canon strategy.
A digital PZ-1P would be great, put the hotshoe over the grip and everything, but the name is kind of clumsy. I like the "LX-D", especially since this is the 60th anniversary of the Asahiflex. (LX=60)

07-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #729
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
A digital PZ-1P would be great, put the hotshoe over the grip and everything, but the name is kind of clumsy. I like the "LX-D", especially since this is the 60th anniversary of the Asahiflex.
Functionality-wise, the PZ-1p was probably better than the MZ-S due to its 1/250 flash sync, but in today's design world.. it kinda looks out of place...
I agree with the LX. Boxy, true, but it's a classic. I've seen an OM-D EM5 in a big family reunion a few weeks ago and it does look rather quaint, but still appealing. A digital version of the LX can knock it off it terms of looks, in my opinion
07-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #730

I LOVE(!) my MZ-s camera....and it would have been a great body to use as a DSLR...
However, its not big enough for a FF censor.....

The K5 body would be ideal.....come on Pentax, listen to all ya fans and users....a FF is wanted and needed.
07-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #731
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dunc's Quote
I LOVE(!) my MZ-s camera....and it would have been a great body to use as a DSLR...
However, its not big enough for a FF censor.....

The K5 body would be ideal.....come on Pentax, listen to all ya fans and users....a FF is wanted and needed.
Well, the MZ-s was very similar to the old MZ-D full frame prototype. However, it lacked the SR. The K-5 is smaller than the MZ-S.
07-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #732
Loyal Site Supporter

I would certainly buy a full frame Pentax that looked like the MZ-S...or the PZ-1P...or the LX...heck, I would probably buy a full frame Pentax if it looked like a silly old Leica, as long as it used the K mount.
07-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #733
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I would certainly buy a full frame Pentax that looked like the MZ-S...or the PZ-1P...or the LX...heck, I would probably buy a full frame Pentax if it looked like a silly old Leica, as long as it used the K mount.

I guess you mean an non crippled K mount? A crippled K mount FF would not be such a good idea.
07-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #734
Site Supporter

I don't see how a crippled K-mount would be such a terrible thing.
07-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #735
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I don't see how a crippled K-mount would be such a terrible thing.
Given we've been living with it for the entire digital age and before. Still it would be nice to see that changed, but as long as they leave the ability to meter via green button or shoot your taks in av mode it's livable