Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 155 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #826
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D600 has just been released!!! Doesn't have AF microadjustment nor AF button.... it creates great niche for Pentax - even in the form factor of 2012 Adam's April full.... it would brush up the current enthusiasts market !!!

09-13-2012, 04:12 AM   #827
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The only disputable point being the question why they bought into an APSC-only brand in the first place.
Because they didn't realise that later they would progress to the point whereby a FF would be so desirable / a necessity or because they started as novices as far as DSLRs are concerned and didn't actually know the differences between the BIG PRO cameras and those APS-C nice-in-the-hand and smaller cameras.
09-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #828
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
D600 has just been released!!! Doesn't have AF microadjustment nor AF button.... it creates great niche for Pentax - even in the form factor of 2012 Adam's April full.... it would brush up the current enthusiasts market !!!
There is AF fine tune...
09-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #829
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
There is AF fine tune...
Digital Photography Review

check the section: D600 versus D800: Specification highlights

09-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #830
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
Digital Photography Review

check the section: D600 versus D800: Specification highlights
Hmm... Check this out

Re: D600 - No AF microadjust: Nikon D4 - D1 / D800 Forum: Digital Photography Review

All will be revealed when its out though. Can't say I am very interested in the D600. All I want is a FF Pentax to mount my FA limiteds, or a smaller camera for daily use. Nex 6 looks interesting.
09-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #831
Veteran Member

Hmm... Check this out
hmmm.... early glitches of disinformation apparently

All I want is a FF Pentax to mount my FA limiteds
me toooooooo
09-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #832
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although not interchangeable, I am fascinated with Sony RX-1. 35mm is really all I need.

09-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #833
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Although not interchangeable, I am fascinated with Sony RX-1. 35mm is really all I need.
Don't your Leica serve you well enough?

Anyway, don't you guys get nervous carrying such high value gear around? I mean getting mugged and such, especially while travelling.

The 3 FA limiteds would cost like 2000 usd? And Plus a FF another 2500. 5500 worth of gear. And thats just one camera!
09-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #834
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't your Leica serve you well enough?

Anyway, don't you guys get nervous carrying such high value gear around? I mean getting mugged and such, especially while travelling.

The 3 FA limiteds would cost like 2000 usd? And Plus a FF another 2500. 5500 worth of gear. And thats just one camera!
Well, you do have point there. But M8 has its own set of issues, especially in low light situations that sometimes it gets me looking at other stuff. I am really interested in Leica M Monochrom, but it is not even available here in the states . . .

I don't get nervous carrying around my stuff because all my stuff is insured by my hazard insurance for my home. In April I went to Egypt, of all places, with my 645D and Leica M8 with 5 lenses in total that are worth about ($4,000). If I get mugged, and lived to tell about it, the way I look at it is that I ought to be thankful that I lived to tell about it while waiting for the check from the insurance company.
09-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #835
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
And in hindsight: Yes, it is loads of fun to use Pentax glass on an FF camera. The quality difference is more then noticeable. The vf is superb, the extra control of composition very helpfull and the superwide angles are so very impressive. A camera that is big enough to be usable without adding a battery-grip is also a nice bonus. So, in my honest opinion, all the people in all those FF threads that are demanding a Pentax FF are simply correct. No matter if they just want it or actually need it. The only disputable point being the question why they bought into an APSC-only brand in the first place.
I wonder how many more will "see the light" (pardon the pun) when Pentax actually makes a FF dSLR after years of preaching how unnecessary it was for them to do so lol.

As for your last comment, in my case (as well as I suspect the case of many others), it wasn't a "buying into an APS-C only brand" situation, since I had already bought into it prior to the digital age. Much of what was Pentax's (formerly much larger) customer base was in a similar situation, since Pentax's heyday harks back to the manual focus era. Further, the first camera I ever used was a half frame camera, and having moved up from that to FF 35mm, the image quality benefit (as well as the huge TTL viewfinder that came with it) was clear, and clearly the result of a larger original image size. That's why I was never "sold" on the notion that any "advantage" other than a lower price tag ever existed for the less-than-half-frame APS-C format, why I never wanted that format, why I never will want that format, and why I have always wanted nothing more from Pentax than for them to make what they rightfully (but prematurely, given the cost/tech situation at the time) tried to make in the first place - a 35mm format K-mount dSLR. At this point, they're long overdue, and have unfortunately watched quite a bit of their customer base dwindle as a result.
09-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #836
Banned

I will be using my K-mount lenses on a new FF hybrid 24mp FF Raw still/1080p60 FF HD video camera before the end of the year on the only FF camera made to use almost any APS-C or FF lens with low cost adapters.

Last edited by jogiba; 09-16-2012 at 05:15 AM.
09-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #837
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even if Pentax were to announce a FF camera tomorrow, they are already so far behind the curve compared to their competitors as things stand today. Other competing formats and brands have improved so much that the long vaunted superiority of the K-5's sensor is old news. If the K-5 II and K-5 IIs were announced a year ago, there would still be enough of a reason to stick with Pentax. With the recent announcements from other brands, what Pentax has announced so far is embarrassing by the lack of a clear product focus.

There have been so many mis-steps from Pentax, that the long term viability of the brand is eroding month by month. For one, the product announcements have been spotty to say the least.

Rolling out a cheap but long overdue 50mm f/1.8 to fight with the FA 50mm f/1.4 and DA* 55mm f/1.4 may have got some traction among budget constraint users but it calls into question if the top executives really know what they are doing by way of knowing what the market really needs. Other examples, too many lenses in the 31mm to 40mm range, rolling out an 18-270mm superzoom to overlap the DA 18-135mm, announcing a long overdue long tele with the DA 560mm that is so long in physical size and expensive that it is a lot cheaper to buy a third party long tele like the Sigma 500mm f/4.5, or even using a long tele and camera from other brands. A lot of long tele users are already going this route.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know where the missing gaps are in terms of line-up. A new teleconverter, AF extension tubes, a 24mm or 135mm prime would have done it. The flash system has not been improved for years. A lot of the lens designs are in need of a serious update, even the Limiteds. Unfortunately the legacy set by the pre-Hoya Pentax management of rolling out lenses with a image circle to merely cover APS-C is the biggest Achilles heel if and when Pentax does embark on a 35mm FF camera because too many have invested in the DA and DA* lenses to make a smooth transition. And let's face it many of the old manual focus legacy lenses are already decades old and just can't hack it with the high resolution of today's current FF sensors. People want and expect FF sooner rather than later and the choppy change of management doesn't help one bit.

Then there's the AF. Hit and miss accuracy, long the bug bear of Pentax is only now addressed with the K-30, a case of too little too late. As great as the K-5 is sensor wise, what's the point if spot on focusing is erratic. Coming two years after, the K-5 II and K-5 IIs may have licked the AF accuracy issue but not before many have had to put up with inconsistent and slow like molasses AF, something that can't be improved upon unless there's a total revamp in the design and construction of current lenses.

And does it even make sense to buy the new K-5 II and K-5 II s when one can put up with less that perfect AF for much less in a used K-5 or even better still, just buy the cheaper K-30.

Other issues, instead of releasing the Q10, how about releasing a much needed firmware update for the Pentax Q? And is there even going to be a firmware update for the K-01? And who the heck is gonna buy the pointless X-5 and forgettable Optio compacts? Perhaps there are still Pentax fans out there still but the herd is getting a lot thinner.

Last edited by creampuff; 09-15-2012 at 06:03 PM.
09-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #838
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I will be using my K-mount lenses on a new FF hybrid 24mp FF Raw still/1080p60 FF HD video before the end of the year on the only FF camera made to use almost any APS-C or FF lens with low cost adapters.
Except you will get problems with lenses without an aperture ring and you don't have any AF.
Also wonder how the metering will be like...

All in all it's indeed a solution but not a solution most are looking for.
09-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #839
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Except you will get problems with lenses without an aperture ring and you don't have any AF.
Also wonder how the metering will be like...

All in all it's indeed a solution but not a solution most are looking for.
My Pentax lenses work great on my Panasonic GH2 with the same low cost adapters so it should work the same on the FF.
PK-NEX E Mount adapters for K-mount lenses with and without aperture ring:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8443/7991558911_511c59ebe3_o.jpg

MFT Adapter for K-mount lenses with aperture ring:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5288/5267764174_755d8e68bd_b.jpg

MFT Adapter for K-mount lenses without aperture ring:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5165/5275575741_2c04b52139_b.jpg
09-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #840
Veteran Member

Lets hope so for the ones interesting.