Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 155 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #841
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Don't your Leica serve you well enough?

Anyway, don't you guys get nervous carrying such high value gear around? I mean getting mugged and such, especially while travelling.

The 3 FA limiteds would cost like 2000 usd? And Plus a FF another 2500. 5500 worth of gear. And thats just one camera!
Aahhh that's nothing. Been through all kinds of places with well over 50k of gear; Times Square and Central Park (even the bus station) at about 4am, even the Bronx. Ironically people do get taken for all kinds of items though - even their telephones.

09-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #842
HSV
Veteran Member

I travel quite a bit to bad places such as China, Mexico, Central America, Colombia, Vietnam...and I've never been mugged. I've gotten stuff such as perfumes and toiletries stolen from my checked in luggage thou. My suggestion are: 1) never check in you gear, 2) don't look like a photographer, much less, a tourist, 3) be friendly, un-intrusive, and discrete.
09-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #843
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
I travel quite a bit to bad places such as China, Mexico, Central America, Colombia, Vietnam...
Hell, I've taken my Pentax to Detroit.
09-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #844

My wife was planning on buying me a full frame camera

My wife was planning on buying me a full frame camera for my birthday/anniversary
she asked me how much it was going to cost for a pentax dslr so that i can use all of my pentax lenses
i had to tell her pentax dont make a full frame camera
at that point she said why canon and nikon do
what do you think i should tell her before she tell me to sell all my gear
an go and buy canon or nikon lenses so that she can get me a full frame DSLR camera

09-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #845
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phil_rallycars Quote
My wife was planning on buying me a full frame camera for my birthday/anniversary
she asked me how much it was going to cost for a pentax dslr so that i can use all of my pentax lenses
an go and buy canon or nikon lenses so that she can get me a full frame DSLR camera
I hate to say it, but your wife may have the right idea. I've gone back to film in order to get my Pentax full frame. I'm guessing if one ever does materialize it will be at least another year, maybe a year and a half. Question is will it be any good?
09-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #846
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by phil_rallycars Quote
...You lucky sod...

Tell her to buy you a Canon 5D. It will mount all your Pentax lenses too. You will have to remove the aperture lever from some of them though. Otherwise the mirror will hit it.
09-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #847

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I hate to say it, but your wife may have the right idea. I've gone back to film in order to get my Pentax full frame. I'm guessing if one ever does materialize it will be at least another year, maybe a year and a half. Question is will it be any good?
I was set to switch with the D800, but got sticker shock especially with the cost of replacement Nikon lenses. D600 is still a bit too high, but I would buy a Pentax for the same price since I have all the lenses.

So I'm also back to film. PZ1-P and waiting.

09-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #848
gtl
Veteran Member

The Samyang lenses look fantastic on FF though... for very little money. Coupled with the huge FF viewfinder.... Only if you can live without AF. For me, I just can't live with the weight of that setup.
09-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #849
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
The Samyang lenses look fantastic on FF though... for very little money. Coupled with the huge FF viewfinder.... Only if you can live without AF. For me, I just can't live with the weight of that setup.
That's what Pentax should be doing. Good quality lenses that are affordable because of the lacking AF. With a smallish quality FF camera, that is also more affordable because of the lacking FF and maybe even the lacking mirror. Maybe with a very good EVF with peaking. A bit like Leica, but without the brandname rich-people-accessory premium and with added WR.
09-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #850
Pentaxian

That's what Pentax should not be doing - competing on price with Samyang, and cutting on essential features. Poor people would buy some NEX or Panasonic, and use their K-Mount lenses with an adapter; rich people would just buy Leica.
09-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #851
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's what Pentax should not be doing - competing on price with Samyang, and cutting on essential features. Poor people would buy some NEX or Panasonic, and use their K-Mount lenses with an adapter; rich people would just buy Leica.
If you're responding to my post, then I think you'll have to re-read it.
1. There currently are no FF NEX or Panasonic offerings.
2. Nowhere did I state that Pentax should compete on price with Samyang. I actually suggested adding a WR feature. That will certainly not make them any cheaper.
3. There's people in between the categories poor and rich too.
4. Don't REAL poor people have other worries then buying cameras?
09-19-2012, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #852
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dear Pentax, pray I don't find a hack saw.
09-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, you forgot to add:
SIGMA FF, SONY FF, and almost everyone else FF.
09-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #854
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Actually, you forgot to add:
SIGMA FF, SONY FF, and almost everyone else FF.
but who of those have a 645 camera

If FF is needed for professional image, wouldn't 645 be even better?
09-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #855
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
If you're responding to my post, then I think you'll have to re-read it.
1. There currently are no FF NEX or Panasonic offerings.
2. Nowhere did I state that Pentax should compete on price with Samyang. I actually suggested adding a WR feature. That will certainly not make them any cheaper.
3. There's people in between the categories poor and rich too.
4. Don't REAL poor people have other worries then buying cameras?
1. And? People who are looking for affordable won't buy FF, because it isn't.
2. Then what is "affordable"? Definitely not Carl Zeiss, nor Leica...
3. ...
4. If you say so. But I was talking about people who can afford a camera (we're on a photography forum) but not a FF one.
Being "a cheap XXXX" won't work.