Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #991
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about this for a way to get Pentax in the FF market.. JUMP SHIP to one that does have full frame.. as those people perpetually upgrade to FF bodies and increase that market sector Pentax will see their high end APS-C market drop as the new budget/low end FF sector has opened.. D600 or 6D anyone?? Glass is glass, a camera is a camera.. sure it would be sweet to have something like the K-5IIs in FF sensor variety.. being invested in glasss and such is minor.. it doesn't loose that much of it's value if you take care of it.. switching back to Pentax when and if something is released is easier than complaining and waiting for years for them to finally break down and make one.

11-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #992
Pentaxian

I don't see how supporting the competition would help Pentax develop and market a full frame camera...
11-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #993

Photos: Albums
That's a bit extreme. As well as trying to get everyone to defect to Canikon in droves would be difficult. FF or no FF, I'm fine. I'd prefer there to be a FF camera for Pentax's sake, but I wouldn't be looking to buy one for a few years anyway. I'm happy looking for older cameras. Thinking about finding a K-7 body next spring to upgrade from my K-r. Hope the parents agree...
11-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #994
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't see how supporting the competition would help Pentax develop and market a full frame camera...
Loosing their following to a market that they currently have no footing in.. I think that could prod them into realizing they should be in there.. end user wins both ways.. they are shooting with a FF which they are after.. and can easily go to Pentax's FF when/if it's ever released.. more buyers for Canikon gear out there than any other.. If Pentax's FF hits and is good enough, I'll sell my D800 and happily come back to shooting Pentax.. but I'm not about to hold my breath for it's release.. I'd rather be out shooting with my FF high res monster.

11-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #995
Pentaxian

I'm afraid it can't work. How many would not only buy a Canikon FF kit, but also switch back to Pentax when they would release one as well? I'm afraid you're one of the few who would.
In this plan the end user would have to pay for two FF kits - Canikon and Pentax; and Pentax would see their market share (and the resources needed for FF R&D) diminished; hardly a win-win.
11-12-2012, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #996
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went (am) to Canon. I currently have a FF Canon, but I also bought a cropped sensor Canon to be able to use their wonderful lenses (what a bout Pentax improving the lenses, not only the size of the sensor?). However, I cannot find myself trying to sell the more than 40 Pentax (and Pentax related) lenses I have. I may do it little by little, when the lack of use force me to do it. But secretly, I still have hope to get a Pentax FF.
11-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #997
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Glass is glass, a camera is a camera.. sure it would be sweet to have something like the K-5IIs in FF sensor variety.. being invested in glasss and such is minor
Both both companies such as Canon and Nikon have very few limitations - in camera bodies, glass, or accessories. It could be something as relatively simple as true macro work or as complex as placing a camera body onto a tilt/shift (and stitching) medium format bellows kit.
11-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #998
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax already has very good lenses.
And there must be good reason for the FA Limiteds still being available to purchase new...

11-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #999
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Pentax already has very good lenses.
And there must be good reason for the FA Limiteds still being available to purchase new...
Absolutely.. if I could get the FA Ltd series for my D800, I sure wouldn't hesitate on the purcahses.. I'd LOOOVVEEE the 43 on a FF sensor.. hell it's one of the main reasons I would consider moving back to Pentax when/IF they ever do make a FF body. the FA Ltd Glass.. and hopefully some good DFA* weather sealed goodness with Pentax's great sealed durable rugged camera body.. win win! If only they could pop that flash sync speed up to 1/250th, improve the AF a bit more, make a bigger buffer so no matter if it's 6 FPS or 10 FPS burst it can handle it for at least 3-5 seconds.. FF sensor over 20 MP is plenty.. more the merrier, but harder on the buffer/processing times..
11-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #1000
Pentaxian

I'd LOOOVVEEE the 43 on a FF sensor.
Put the M-mount version on a Leica M-E?
11-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #1001
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Put the M-mount version on a Leica M-E?
Don't have about $7500 to put towards a camera and one lens that has half the resolution of my D800..
11-22-2012, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #1002
Veteran Member

Absolutely.. if I could get the FA Ltd series for my D800, I sure wouldn't hesitate on the purcahses.. I'd LOOOVVEEE the 43 on a FF sensor.. hell it's one of the main reasons I would consider moving back to Pentax when/IF they ever do make a FF body. the FA Ltd Glass.. and hopefully some good DFA* weather sealed goodness with Pentax's great sealed durable rugged camera body.. win win! If only they could pop that flash sync speed up to 1/250th, improve the AF a bit more, make a bigger buffer so no matter if it's 6 FPS or 10 FPS burst it can handle it for at least 3-5 seconds.. FF sensor over 20 MP is plenty.. more the merrier, but harder on the buffer/processing times..
The 43mm LTD was one of the reasons I stuck with Pentax as long as I did - that lens is pure magic. I still stop by this forum periodically to check on the "news and rumors" to see if anything is happening in hopes that I might consider a swich back.

When I first made the switch I left one foot in the Pentax door. I kept a K20D and K-7 along with a small assortment of lenses. I had only one Pentax flash because I think they are garbage (I shot my Canon Flashes on my Pentax bodies in Manual Mode). Eventually I left entirely after a miserable experience with CRIS camera repair who was supposed to handle my "Pentax Professional Services" repairs.

Unfortunately - the longer Pentax waits to get in the game the less likely they are to succeed. When I picked up my first 5DmkII I was surprised at how rudimentary it was. Slow sync speed, slow frame rate, poor autofocus... and some other minor grievances. But it was reasonably affordable and got the job done. This was the perfect camera for Pentax to compete with. Now I'm using 5DmkIII and 1DmkIV and these cameras are so advanced I have a hard time seeing myself "downgrading" ever again.

I was a 20 year Pentaxian (Spotmatic, K1000, mz5n, *ist, k10, k20, k7) and I was very sad to leave the brand - but I don't regret the decision for a moment.

If Pentax ever decides to get back in the game I would gladly give them a second chance... but I can tell you that 3 years ago I was anxiously awaiting the upcoming Pentax announcement of FF camera - I can see by scanning this board nothing has really changed so I'm glad I didn't wait it out.
11-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #1003

Think about the general consumer, do they want a bulky body, big, heavy, EXPENSIVE lenses, or compact aps-c cameras like the K5iis which will give the 5diii a run for its money. Look at the DA* and limited lenses, everyone thinks they're expensive. Now look at the Nikon lineup : TWO grand for a 70-200, while we can get the weather sealed DA* 50-135 for less than half that. 300mm f2.8 is 5 GRAND! The Pentax 300/4 doesn't even come close to that, and f4 is still a very fast aperture for that focal length. Why would the general consumer looking to move up a gear in photography go for the bulky, pricey kit when you can get the K5iis with near ff iq, small body, and excellent DA*, limited, and legacy lenses?
11-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #1004
Site Supporter

Nobody actually believes that Pentax will come out with a FF body EVER...do they?

I still have a stable of FA* and FA Limited lenses so am far more prepared than most, but I gave up on FF years ago...

Yep, just trolling today!
11-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #1005
Pentaxian

Pentax does, apparently. But I wouldn't hold my breath...