Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #1066
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It would allow them to keep using their legacy DSLR lenses on the modern cameras.
'Modern cameras' = MILC, though right?

Without MILC a new mount doesn't make any sense at all.

01-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #1067
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geojazz Quote
I respect your position , but Pentax would be crazy to move away from the K Mount! First it would take new R&D and New mount that would not be backward compatible with older cameras ( and most of your expense is in R&D). A Mature Mount like the K mount with full backward compatibility to the old film glass is one of the hallmarks of Pentax ..... No Other Camera Manufacturer has that kind of compatibility with their lens systems. As for any new Camera size I would buy a K5 sized FF camera , my preference is for something slightly larger that is all ( because it balances longer heavier Pro Lenses better) .

Keep Shooting
Geojazz
Totally agree. If the mount changed and I would be kludging on adapters, I'd probably look at all the options.
01-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #1068
Pentaxian

It would allow them to keep using their legacy DSLR lenses on the modern cameras.
Regardless if they want it or not to use a so-called "modern" camera?
By the way, it's funny to imply that current DSLR models, many more capable than any MILC, are not modern.

GeneV, I would do the same; but I trust Pentax on this.
I'm only speaking hypothetically, but I would not accept being forced to pay for an adapter, so that I could use my lenses on a camera I don't want to use.
01-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #1069
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The thing is... You're not obliged to buy each and every camera model that Pentax introduces. If you're not willing to use your DSLR lenses via an adapter, then you don't have to purchase either.

Do you have a M42 adapter?

I have absolutely no problem with using my M42 lenses via an adapter on my K-mount camera. And I will have not a single problem using my K-mount lenses via an adapter on the next mount. Using adapters will not make those lenses perform any less or more.

01-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #1070

QuoteOriginally posted by em-tx Quote
Well exactly, "if put on K mount..." I will invest in FA LTD if I have assurance that Pentax keeps K mount. To buy FA LTD perspectively for MX is bit of waste. So I really hope they keep K mount, because I can grow with K5 now and I think when I grow up from K5 I will look for FF camera, which in couple of years should financially feasible. I think its about looking at the perspective. I use photography as a hobby, but its a part of my profession as well, so I will have lasting. I know lot of people which are looking to buy into brand from long term perspective.
I stopped buying deeper into the Pentax system. Having already invested around 15k within the last 4 years it's now time to move to full frame for me. I would buy even APS-C glass like the limiteds if I had the assurance to be able to use my FF-compatible lenses on a FF Pentax cam. I would love to use both advantages of full frame as well as APS-C but not with two different systems. So there is not too much time for Pentax if they want another 10 grand from me ...
01-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #1071
Pentaxian

The thing is... You're not obliged to buy each and every camera model that Pentax introduces. If you're not willing to use your DSLR lenses via an adapter, then you don't have to purchase either.

Do you have a M42 adapter?

I have absolutely no problem with using my M42 lenses via an adapter on my K-mount camera. And I will have not a single problem using my K-mount lenses via an adapter on the next mount. Using adapters will not make those lenses perform any less or more.
And you are not obliged to buy only Pentax-made MILCs, you can go to e.g. Sony or Olympus.

Yes, I do have a M42 adapter; but I decided I want modern, fully-featured (read: automatic aperture, auto focus) lenses.

So I should pay hoping that I would have that I have today?
01-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #1072

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
I stopped buying deeper into the Pentax system. Having already invested around 15k within the last 4 years it's now time to move to full frame for me. I would buy even APS-C glass like the limiteds if I had the assurance to be able to use my FF-compatible lenses on a FF Pentax cam. I would love to use both advantages of full frame as well as APS-C but not with two different systems. So there is not too much time for Pentax if they want another 10 grand from me ...
Agree. To invest into 1 brand with 2 systems seems expensive and not very practical for me.

Last edited by em-tx; 01-12-2013 at 05:07 AM.
01-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #1073

QuoteOriginally posted by geojazz Quote
I respect your position , but Pentax would be crazy to move away from the K Mount! First it would take new R&D and New mount that would not be backward compatible with older cameras ( and most of your expense is in R&D). A Mature Mount like the K mount with full backward compatibility to the old film glass is one of the hallmarks of Pentax ..... No Other Camera Manufacturer has that kind of compatibility with their lens systems. As for any new Camera size I would buy a K5 sized FF camera , my preference is for something slightly larger that is all ( because it balances longer heavier Pro Lenses better) .

Keep Shooting
Geojazz
Well, I found here on forum interview with Pentax representative where he expressed that they are considering question if to keep K mount or create new. I understand the balance problem, I travel so much, that size is important and I rather exercise my hands with battery grip.

@ Clavius I do not want to be forced to buy adapter. I do not like to be forced, plus I do not like it technically. I like clean and simple solutions without loss of time, space and money. If I have to spend money to build and buy into new Pentax system, that I rather sell what I have and buy D600. Thats the whole point what I posted. You are welcome to buy adapters and lenses within one brand.
01-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #1074
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you look at the new Canon lenses and bodies, with the sensor that tells the camera where the lens is focussed so it alway seeks the right way, they didn't put in a new mount, but those 3 lenses only work on their newest camera bodies. You realize that technology may have passed the K-mount by. In a way they are in a catch 22 situation. Pentax users want backwards compatibility, but they also want the latest and greatest in auto-focus and AI. It would seem odd to me that that folks don't realize, that in the time since Pentax introduced AF, there may have been advances that make the K-mount obsolete.

So the question then becomes do you want your K-mount, or do you want the latest greatest stepper motor powered focus sensing system, because it's quite possible it's going to be a choice. I know how this is going. The gear heads will want the latest greatest technology. Those of us who have been Pentaxians forever will be happy as we are now with what we've got, and whatever Pentax can get out of the K-mount.

Pentax will make their decision based on what they believe is best. That's what we pay them for. I do believe that the K-mount may be too small and with antiquated contacts, for some of the things Pentax engineers would like to accomplish. If the new mount is larger, perhaps simple adapters will be possible. Personally, I'm guessing the mechanical aperture control is going to be a thing of the past. And there's going to room for a bigger back end on the lenses. But hey! I know nothing. Anyone who'd bet on anything I say would almost certainly be wasting their money. Just a little saturday morning speculation.
01-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #1075
Pentaxian

Wait... something happened that made the K-mount and only the K-mount obsolete?
01-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #1076
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Wait... something happened that made the K-mount and only the K-mount obsolete?
All I'm saying is that the newest Canon technology only works on a few camera bodies. They were able to adapt the new to the old. But there is no technological reason why that should always be possible. It's quite possible that there are already good reasons from a tech perspective to go to a new mount, or why would Pentax even consider it? I assume if they are looking at a new mount that it
s because they can't get what they are capable of doing done with the limitations of a k-mount. Maybe adopting a new mount would push them to the front of the auto-focus world. I seriously doubt Pentax would look at a new mount, just on a whim. I read a while ago about the new Canon stepper/ring motors and feed back system. Technology is changing. How long are they going to be able to keep that old screw drive?
01-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #1077
Pentaxian

As long as Nikon, maybe even more

Pentax does not want to replace the K-mount with another DSLR mount; pretty much every issue can be solved, maybe even electric aperture control, except for the most basic physical characteristics (diameter, registration distance).
01-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #1078
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I read a while ago about the new Canon stepper/ring motors and feed back system. Technology is changing. How long are they going to be able to keep that old screw drive?
uhhh stepper motor is nothing new....
It's just as new as the brushless DC motor pentax use in their "new" DC lenses...
01-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #1079
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
in the time since Pentax introduced AF, there may have been advances that make the K-mount obsolete.
What are those advances?

Nikon's AF is much better IMO than the Pentax, and their maximum rear element diameter is smaller and further away than the K-mount.
01-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #1080
Banned

Well new futures could be added to the K-mount, but maybe that would also mean that those would only work on new not yet on the market body's. I don't see any limitation in the K-mount for this.