Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #1096
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Or... the 50mm f/1.8 is $100. Why, then, wouldn't a 25mm f/0.9 using a couple sets of these elements... be cheap and good?
Problem is you're making the image circle smaller meaning the lens will vigenette and not sure about the register problems.

It is simply not that simple, they could maybe use 645 lenses and adapt those for the K mount?
But have you seen the price of those?

01-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #1097
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
More ammunition for EVIL fans.
Ammunition, what for, are they at war?

This is only a workaround, not bringing any advantage over using the lenses on their respective formats. A 50mm f/1.8 lens would not gather more light, nor render a sharper image, only waste being reduced.
FF is not in danger.
01-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #1098
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
It is simply not that simple, they could maybe use 645 lenses and adapt those for the K mount?
But have you seen the price of those?
Older manual 645 glass isn't that expensive. Depends a bit on which you get. But if the claims of increased sharpness are true too, then that doesn't even matter.

I am sceptic though. If this works, why didn't anybody think of this before? It's not like there are any new technologies involved.

Last edited by Clavius; 01-15-2013 at 08:03 AM.
01-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #1099
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
This is only a workaround, not bringing any advantage over using the lenses on their respective formats. A 50mm f/1.8 lens would not gather more light, nor render a sharper image, only waste being reduced.
FF is not in danger.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Putting my FA50 1.4 on an E-mount with such a speedbooster would make it act as a 29mm f0.8. That spells fun to me. Just another tool in the box. (Or toy? I don't care.)

FF was never in danger.

01-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #1100
Veteran Member

I am sceptic though. If this works, why didn't anybody think of this before? It's not like there are any new technologies involved.
uh... second post of this page, my post

Beside that condesers are used in microscopes, enlargers, slide projectors, and telescopes it just happends they don't get used much in photography lenses.
01-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #1101
Site Supporter

Problem is you're making the image circle smaller meaning the lens will vigenette and not sure about the register problems.
Have you seen the price of 0.9 lenses on Micro-4/3?
01-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #1102
Pentaxian

Correct me if I'm wrong. Putting my FA50 1.4 on an E-mount with such a speedbooster would make it act as a 29mm f0.8. That spells fun to me. Just another tool in the box. (Or toy? I don't care.)

FF was never in danger.
Is there a Pentax K adapter? Regardless, using a 50mm f/1.4 with a speedbooster on a NEX will simply offer you the same as using it on a FF camera, with a (hopefully) slight degradation in image quality, transmission and flare resistance. In other words, it would only compensate for the lack of a native 36mm f/1 (the correction factor is 0.71, by the way).

But there is the image projected onto the sensor plane, and there is the sensor capturing the image. The image might be scaled down with minimal losses (minimal increase of aberations); but the sensor can't. Let's take the 24MP APS-C and FF sensors, or the 16MP APS-C vs. 36mm FF: lower quality or resolution loss, take your pick.
Wait, does that means optics are superior to electronics?

By the way, IMO this discussion is off-topic and can't help with pushing the Pentax Full-Frame Idea.
01-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #1103
Site Supporter

The Pentax 67 to APS-C crop factor is ~3.3. With an appropriately designed concept, the 105mm F/2.4 could become a 31mm f/0.7.

I'm just having trouble believing it would still be sharp, without CA, PF, etc...

01-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #1104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I'm just having trouble believing it would still be sharp, without CA, PF, etc...
CA and PF will be better then the original because it's smaller.

All you know for normal TC is true for this one except it's reversed.
01-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #1105
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
CA and PF will be better then the original because it's smaller.

All you know for normal TC is true for this one except it's reversed.
But you are going to enlarge images captured by APS-C more to achive the same size on print, so in the end I doubt it will be much difference between images captured by APS-C or FF if both use the same pixel count. At least if the optics are good, and it don't add CA and PF.
01-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #1106
Veteran Member

Yes the picture sharpness and aberation should be comparable between APS-C with condenser and FF.
I was thinking about the lens on APS-C with and without condenser.

The added glass will surely do something to the image, so clean FF will be slightly better.
01-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #1107
Pentaxian

Is there a Pentax K adapter?

Regardless, using a 50mm f/1.4 with a speedbooster on a NEX will simply offer you the same as using it on a FF camera, with a (hopefully) slight degradation in image quality, transmission and flare resistance.
Is there a Pentax FF then? Regardless, the K-mount registry distance is to long to be of any use for Pentax anyway.

LOL! But a PK to E Speedbooster may just be the closest we will be able to get to Pentax FF for years to come. If they make it, it will be really funny that it has to come from a third party.

By the way, IMO this discussion is off-topic and can't help with pushing the Pentax Full-Frame Idea.
I don't know. If speedbooster is going to offer a PK to E adapter, making a different platform having closer access to PK FF then Pentax itself... Then Pentax should feel really very embarrassed.
01-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #1108
Pentaxian

Yes, there are Pentax FF cameras and I have 2 of them.

In your hurry to make up "arguments" against Pentax, you're ignoring that Metabones will make adapters for Nikon lenses, and the Nikon F mount has an even longer registration distance. Same for Leica R. And Contarex. And Contax/Yashica.

A kludge cannot replace the real thing. It might close the gap to the larger formats, but it can't bring the MILCs "up there"; don't despair, maybe Sony will do it.

I can't see why a photographic company of Pentax' caliber should be so easily embarrassed.
01-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #1109
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a Pentax FF then? Regardless, the K-mount registry distance is to long to be of any use for Pentax anyway.
Yes, it was announced on this website on 1st April, 2012.
How can the K-mount be unsuitable for FF if there are existing K-mount FF film cameras? They must be defying the registry distance problem.

If speedbooster is going to offer a PK to E adapter, making a different platform having closer access to PK FF then Pentax itself... Then Pentax should feel really very embarrassed
They are unlikely to feel any embarrassment for their work towards their product:

for the Japanese readers: https://www.impressjapan.jp/pr/monitor/1113_dcm/271301_free.pdf
Pentax full frame camera in the news again | Photo Rumors
Pentax Ricoh Boss Says That a Full Frame Pentax Camera is in the Works
01-16-2013, 03:20 AM   #1110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yes, it was announced on this website on 1st April, 2012.
Yes, that 'joke' is the reason why I'll never believe another Pentax FF rumor again.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
How can the K-mount be unsuitable for FF if there are existing K-mount FF film cameras? They must be defying the registry distance problem.
You're kidding, right? We were discussing the new speedbooster adapter thingy? For which K-mount is not of interest because the huge registry distance?