Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #1321
Veteran Member

Now this is interesting.
LensRentals.com - Wavelength-Detecting Sensor Eliminates Bayer Filter, Triples Resolution

Seems most here have to wait a bit longer

Release in the United States, unfortunately, will be delayed for quite a while. “In the entire world, only the United States, Burma and Liberia do not use the metric system. Because our system converts the electron volts into nanometers, it is calibrated for metric light and we can’t guarantee image quality in areas using nonmetric light. We hope to have a firmware upgrade that will convert electron volt measurements to inches by September or October.”

too bad of the date though

Last edited by Anvh; 05-10-2013 at 06:02 AM.
05-12-2013, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #1322
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thread name is "How to push the Pentax Full-Frame Idea and get that FF out faster..."
So have we found any good idea to push Pentax to come with the FF faster? Bribery? Ransom? Begging? Crying? Abandoning ship?

Or maybe developing the FF ourselves? I wonder if that may work; custom made digital cameras.
Has anyone done it yet? (I mean, maybe not here on PF, but generally speaking, has any individual done a digital camera from scratch?)

Then I was thinking something like developing the open source project for digital cameras, for a mount that has its copyright expired.
Is something like that possible at all?

Last edited by Uluru; 05-12-2013 at 10:19 PM.
05-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #1323
Site Supporter

I've considered retrofitting D600's with the K-mount...?
05-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #1324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I've considered retrofitting D600's with the K-mount...?
A D800 would be even better.
Is that possible?

05-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #1325
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
So have we found any good idea to push Pentax to come with the FF faster? Bribery? Ransom? Begging? Crying? Abandoning ship?
Well, once or twice I did suggest to send an envelope with K-mount aperture leavers to Pentax, to show them we're nudering Pentax lenses to at least be able to operate them on FF Canons. Just to show that if they won't build us a camera format appropriate for our Pentax lenses, that we'll be just as happy elsewhere. But then the Pentax ultra-orthodox fanboys wanted to burn me on a stake.

Last edited by Clavius; 05-13-2013 at 01:58 AM.
05-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #1326
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
A D800 would be even better.
Is that possible?
Use this, and please take a YouTube video detailing the exact process and ahare with the form. Thanks.

05-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #1327
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That looks like a Hasselblad Lunar with a telephoto lens mounted!
05-13-2013, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #1328
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
That looks like a Hasselblad Lunar with a telephoto lens mounted!
Now that's an insult to a perfectly decent-looking tool!

05-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #1329

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Well, once or twice I did suggest to send an envelope with K-mount aperture leavers to Pentax, to show them we're nudering Pentax lenses to at least be able to operate them on FF Canons. Just to show that if they won't build us a camera format appropriate for our Pentax lenses, that we'll be just as happy elsewhere. But then the Pentax ultra-orthodox fanboys wanted to burn me on a stake.
Bet they did. Hahaha, but its a cool idea. I hope Pentax reconsider in time, before most of people are gone and most of market lost.
05-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #1330
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cynog ap brychan Quote
that looks like a hasselblad lunar with a telephoto lens mounted!
rotfl
06-17-2013, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #1331

If Pentax did indeed come out with a FF camera, it would really be a thorn in Nikon and Canon's side considering the K5-IIs is routinely compared to many full frames in the industry for clarity and performance.

I personally think Pentax could make a considerable dent in the market and would probably be rated as a top pick for full frame cameras.
06-17-2013, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #1332
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by briancornerbrook Quote
If Pentax did indeed come out with a FF camera, it would really be a thorn in Nikon and Canon's side considering the K5-IIs is routinely compared to many full frames in the industry for clarity and performance.
I personally think Pentax could make a considerable dent in the market and would probably be rated as a top pick for full frame cameras.
Many of us think that too.
07-02-2013, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #1333

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Which is exactly why I think going full frame is a HUGE MISTAKE and hope Pentax does not go this route. It will bankrupt the company unless Ricoh is prepared for a long term front end investment that will have no returns for 5 years.

Pentax has a 5% market share and the only people who will buy FF are current Pentax owners. You will get no business from Canon or Nikon shooters who already have a FF camera. Plus going FF is not one body. Does Pentax make a Landscape shooters camera at 24-36MP Hi-res sensor or a wedding shooters camera at 16-20MP high ISO sensor? Or both? How long would it take to create and build 12-16 lenses for this and a new flash system (the current flashes are not nearly good enough for a pro grade system).

All this would require a huge investment for what? 2% of the market if they are lucky? Don't do it Pentax. You build great APS-c cameras, keep doing that.
I am not so certain that Nikon & Canon Users won't buy a Pentax FF. In fact I think coming up with a well priced FF might just be the way for Pentax to increase market share. Most Canikon user friends of mine are really impressed when they try my K-5. A lot of them are tired of big, bulky, plastic cameras and really like the solid feel of the K5. The problem is they are mostly caught up in the megapixel myth that Canikon promotes to market their latest and greatest and believe that FF is the only way to go. Pentax can't ignore these beliefs and hope to survive. A very well priced FF might just boost sales a lot.
07-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #1334
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Watson Quote
Pentax can't ignore these beliefs and hope to survive.
Do you've any numbers how big the FF market is?
Most of these user are profesional and probably have invested in lenses quite a bit.

would love to see some numbers or indication that when Ricoh designs an 135 format camera and make 6 new productions lines for 135 format lenses it will get it's investment back in an considerable year?

In all honestey it's very simple, Pentax is far too late to make a chance now that Sony, Canon and Nikon are also competing with the prices.
So they either need to find a niche or don't do it, i think it will be the last option since there is no risk with that one.

besside that you give as main reason that canon and nikon FF user would like a Pentax because of the size but an Pentax FF would be just as large though and for the price they might be plastic as well and without Wr even...
07-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #1335

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Do you've any numbers how big the FF market is?
Most of these user are profesional and probably have invested in lenses quite a bit.

would love to see some numbers or indication that when Ricoh designs an 135 format camera and make 6 new productions lines for 135 format lenses it will get it's investment back in an considerable year?

In all honestey it's very simple, Pentax is far too late to make a chance now that Sony, Canon and Nikon are also competing with the prices.
So they either need to find a niche or don't do it, i think it will be the last option since there is no risk with that one.

besside that you give as main reason that canon and nikon FF user would like a Pentax because of the size but an Pentax FF would be just as large though and for the price they might be plastic as well and without Wr even...
Its true that Canikon are big and plastic, but recently on holidays I meet lot of tourists(!!!) carrying D600. Its true - might be better positioned, but they are tourist snapping holiday pictures. I do not think 135 have to be necessarily much bigger.
I think even if you would take technology of K5 and put FF sensor in it, it will be pretty competetive. Better AF and manual video control and many video professionals will buy it.
Canikon equipment has a good resale value, so I do not think it will be such a deal to swap in case ones decides. Do not forget of Pentax users which jump the ship cause of lack of FF.
There are lenses for FF and Pentax needs to bring new lenses either way. Some are getting dated in terms of resolution and speed.