Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
There won't be a DSLR with FF sensor in the near future.
Please don't state that as fact.

QuoteQuote:
If Pentax will indeed go FF, it will be mirrorless.
Your guess is as good as anyone else's. But it's not a fact.

01-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
And you don't know that for sure.
That's true.
If I only could believe that Pentax is prepared internally and just doesn't release the products, then I would be reassured. If ...
01-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's true.
If I only could believe that Pentax is prepared internally and just doesn't release the products, then I would be reassured. If ...
Sounds like that is what they did with the Q.
01-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
There won't be a DSLR with FF sensor in the near future. If Pentax will indeed go FF, it will be mirrorless.
2 things:

1. Generally speaking, to which group is any FF camera targeted to? Right: Pro's, semi pro's and very advanced amateurs. That group is definetely NOT interested in a mirrorless camera.

2. An mirrorless camera with a EVF has only 1 advantage: A larger brighter viewfinder... But a FF DSLR automatically already has a larger brigher viewfinder. So there is no reason whatsoever to sacrifice the OVF.

If Pentax brings out a FF mirroless, no pro is going to touch it. And all the rest is going to bitch about the fact that it's to big, and that there are smaller MILCs.

01-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
2 things:

1. Generally speaking, to which group is any FF camera targeted to? Right: Pro's, semi pro's and very advanced amateurs. That group is definetely NOT interested in a mirrorless camera.

2. An mirrorless camera with a EVF has only 1 advantage: A larger brighter viewfinder... But a FF DSLR automatically already has a larger brigher viewfinder. So there is no reason whatsoever to sacrifice the OVF.

If Pentax brings out a FF mirroless, no pro is going to touch it. And all the rest is going to bitch about the fact that it's to big, and that there are smaller MILCs.
While i agree with point 2 Point 3 is wrong. if the K01 is K mount than it is capable of being a FF MILC as well . Even allowing for some size increase for superior build (WR amd MAg alloy) and SR for the FF it would still ultimately be smaller than a K5. Waaaayy to big LOL . if you are shooting any of the current or upcoming FF from Canikon and Sony (particularly with a grip) it will look positively tiny
Point 1 is just an opinion thaat can neither be confirmed or refuted without market research of a wide variety of Pros representing different areas of endeavour (after all some pros still shoot leica and some *gasp* shoot Pentax apsc and would like a FF)
01-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Even with the stock screen I have a 50% hit rate with static (!) subjects and my A50/1.2. Moving subjects are impossible to catch wide open
And thus it has always been....even in the days of film.
01-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
And thus it has always been....even in the days of film.
Exactly 1.2 lenses aren't meant for moving objects wide open (I can't imagine trying to nail focus with the Leica 50 f0.95 on an RF patch)

01-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #113
Veteran Member

That group is definetely NOT interested in a mirrorless camera.
Speak for yourself. I want great IQ which blown any SLR WA lens away without the need to carry bulky bodies and lenses. So, I want something that can use M-mount wides with FF sensor
01-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Speak for yourself. I want great IQ which blown any SLR WA lens away without the need to carry bulky bodies and lenses. So, I want something that can use M-mount wides with FF sensor
OMG, you consider yourself a pro?

If you're THAT into the best IQ possible, then you would carry a tripod.
01-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
So, I want something that can use M-mount wides with FF sensor
OK, so you want an M9. Aren't you a little lost? This is Pentaxforums
01-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Lenses need a multi-year roadmap

... I'm more than convinced that pentax is/was working on a model between the K-5 and the 645D, purely by looking at the enormous price gap between those models.
Most of us suspect that they have a FF body at least partially prototyped, maybe very close to production-ready... but the problem is lenses. If they don't start soon, 2-3 lenses per year, they will immediately be behind even if hey bring their FF prototype to production in a flash as soon as they can score a cheap/easy sensor deal.

If they try to play catch-up on lenses when FF sensors become cheap, they have no advantage over any mirrorless or other player that decides it's time to make a FF body. If they have not done the work to established themselves in the FF tier, they just leap in behind already.

Coming out with 5 lenses or more per year to really catch up would probably be very, very expansive and hard to do. It would perhaps be within current design/production/manufacturing capacity to do 2-3 lenses per year using existing owned and leased factories and without having to expand engineering staff radically..

Last edited by jsherman999; 01-24-2012 at 01:46 PM.
01-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #117

Well, in fact we know there is a FF Prototyp, it has been shown at PK 2004 ( i think), so the basics are there.

But now, 8years laters there really consider a good redesign....
01-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #118

Such people are likely to have more than one camera. I hope we can agree their smaller camera will eventually be mirrorless (they want it as small as possible). So they will come to understand the benefits and want similar features in their main camera.

I agree it won't happen immediately. I'd give it 3-5 years.

QuoteQuote:
2. An mirrorless camera with a EVF has only 1 advantage: A larger brighter viewfinder...
I posted a list of EVF benefits here. I got 13 of them. Ironically, the one you mention, brighter viewfinder, I didn't think of.
01-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
OK, so you want an M9. Aren't you a little lost? This is Pentaxforums
No, I need mirrorless, with EVF being FF.
01-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #120
Veteran Member

then you would carry a tripod.
It's no problem. NEX + leica wides weights not so much, so I can use P&S one, which is really light