Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #211

At the moment there are 3,159 likes on the page! Great!

02-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #212
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given the super duper lens every long lens shooter has been screaming for for the last 1/2 decade is now upcoming ... does the fact that it's not a D-FA make anyone think this [FF talk] is all futile?
02-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Given the super duper lens every long lens shooter has been screaming for for the last 1/2 decade is now upcoming ... does the fact that it's not a D-FA make anyone think this [FF talk] is all futile?
Nope, because this will have been a shelved Hoya design that Ricoh is taking advantage of. I imagine any FF lens plans will only hit the roadmap when a FF camera is about to hit as well. no point telling the competition all your plans. hence the comment the roadmap is subject to change. We're so used to change being a negative at this point we forget it can be a positive as well
02-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #214
Veteran Member

It's been mentioned several times (and not just by me!) that this could be a full-frame circle without the designation; and announcing DFA lenses right now could be a misstep marketing wise, while they're still getting a full-frame camera ready for release.

I'm fairly sure that a semi-hypothetical DA 300 lens will be able to be used on a full frame camera, assuming such operation is not blocked with software... does anyone disagree?

02-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #215
m8o
Veteran Member

Pentax owners ... we do sustain ourselves on Hope'ium.

Last edited by m8o; 02-08-2012 at 09:48 PM.
02-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #216
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The letter to Pentax is about to go out. Thanks for all your support!

The battle is won, but the war has just begun, if you will. Well it's not really a war, but still

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #217
Forum Member

Adam, I think what you have done to Pentax and all of their loyal customers is great! if I were the CEO of Pentax-Ricoh, I would awarded you with a medal LOL
and ofcourse, I would make pentax to take over the funding of this website. please tell them to come here and say hello to us

02-10-2012, 01:43 AM   #218

QuoteOriginally posted by tohax Quote
Adam, I think what you have done to Pentax and all of their loyal customers is great! if I were the CEO of Pentax-Ricoh, I would awarded you with a medal LOL
and ofcourse, I would make pentax to take over the funding of this website. please tell them to come here and say hello to us
Totally agree. I hope they award Adam with the Pentax FF camera though.
02-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #219
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The battle is won, but the war has just begun, if you will. Well it's not really a war, but still
IMHO, Pentax' window of opportunity has just closed. The D800E creates a crazy reaction from all over the place, and if its street price hits $2500, I see the space Pentax could have occupied blocked.

AFAIK, the forthcoming 24MP camera from Pentax this year won't be FF. As I said, publishing a FF roadmap at Photokina 2010 would have been the thing to do.

Don't get me wrong: IMHO, Pentax still needs to do a FF in order the K mount to survive. But the chance to make a big impact is just gone.
02-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
IMHO, Pentax' window of opportunity has just closed. The D800E creates a crazy reaction from all over the place, and if its street price hits $2500, I see the space Pentax could have occupied blocked.

AFAIK, the forthcoming 24MP camera from Pentax this year won't be FF. As I said, publishing a FF roadmap at Photokina 2010 would have been the thing to do.

Don't get me wrong: IMHO, Pentax still needs to do a FF in order the K mount to survive. But the chance to make a big impact is just gone.
the D800 and the D800E are damn impressive cameras. and like you say if the price drops to 2500 for it Pentax would have a hard time making a splash (reality is they would need a K5 level body, with the 36mp sensor and K-01 video with fast processor and better af at $2000 to make a plash - that may be undoable
there really isn't much you can do to battle the D800 on feature content. Maybe a MILC designed after the mx or lx with a FF sensor (even a 24MP) Mag alloy good video tilt rear screen and WR sub $2000 could be achieved and would be unique in the FF market (so far)
02-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #221
Forum Member

does it have to be 36mp? I think it's too much..

make it 20ish MP
full WR
12 fps
2,5 K video
smaller body than other FF (maybe a little bigger than K5)
faster AF (101 af points maybe? )
has lighting system (like nikon cls)
very low noise

I'm sure pentax still has a chance
02-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #222
Veteran Member

does it have to be 36mp? I think it's too much..

make it 20ish MP
full WR
12 fps
2,5 K video
smaller body than other FF (maybe a little bigger than K5)
faster AF (101 af points maybe? )
has lighting system (like nikon cls)
very low noise

I'm sure pentax still has a chance
where does his mythical sensor come from? Pentax not making sensors and not being big enough to drive the designs available are limited to an off the shelf sensor. so a 24 or a 36 mp Sony is most likely.the D700 sensor is now out of production AFAIK and would be a huge mistake
the 24 MP A850/900 Nikon D3x sensor is also long in the tooth to say the least and would not perform at the levels needed to make an impact (if performance is the same or lower than the newest 24mp aspc then you are primarily marketing it for FOV/DOF at a higher price
If Sony has a new 24 MP sensor on the board not yet used that is different
Either way it has to be well under $2000 if the D800 hits $2500 by the time it comes out (and that is quite possible)
D800 really destroys Canon 5D mkII - the mark 3 better be bloody amazing if they want to keep the for supremacy in the sub $3000 FF market that they currently enjoy
Nikon's 3 new cameras really for the first time since digital i think have the capacity to give them the lead again at the high end. something they lost in the digital era but enjoyed for a big chunk of the film era (the top f series were always just amazing)
02-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Agreed, I think I've found my camera if we don't see a full frame Pentax this year, but there is one feature that the D800 is sorely missing - a K mount.
02-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #224
Forum Member

it is true that nikon's sensor are manufactured by sony, but as far as I know, nikon design it's own sensor. so I think with the new management and more cash on hand, pentax can do the same way. or maybe, make a new collaboration with other sensor manufacturer. like toshiba or fujitsu. sony outsources some of it's apsc manufacturing to fujitsu lately.
02-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #225
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
maybe, make a new collaboration with other sensor manufacturer
Remember Samsung, see the problem of 4/3 w/o a decent sensor manufacturer, see how a 7D has ugly shadows?

You really don't want Pentax to leave the Sony camp. And I am pretty sure, Nikon's inflence on Sony's developments is marginal on the technical side ...