Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #736
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually I think Pentax has done a pretty good job over the years enabling the use of all their different lenses on their cameras. Sometimes I do get a bit frustrated with the "green button" but then I realize that this easy lens compatibility is one of the primary features that has kept me with Pentax all these years.

Interestingly, my older manual cameras, like my K1000, are about the only cameras I own where I can actually still use every lens that Pentax makes with the least amount of accomodation. Even the digital lenses. I get a bit of vignetting with some of them, and I can only use them wide open, but that is a bit like being on permanent Av Mode. It is actually kind of fun to do once in awhile.

07-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #737
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Actually I think Pentax has done a pretty good job over the years enabling the use of all their different lenses on their cameras. Sometimes I do get a bit frustrated with the "green button" but then I realize that this easy lens compatibility is one of the primary features that has kept me with Pentax all these years.

Interestingly, my older manual cameras, like my K1000, are about the only cameras I own where I can actually still use every lens that Pentax makes with the least amount of accomodation. Even the digital lenses. I get a bit of vignetting with some of them, and I can only use them wide open, but that is a bit like being on permanent Av Mode. It is actually kind of fun to do once in awhile.
If you have some of the MZ series or Z series you would have control over the aperture on the da lenses as well, while still having an un crippled mount. I can't figure out the reasoning behind crippling the mount (aside from at the entry level to give people a reason to step up)
I hope they revert for any Ff, but if they don't it won't stop me from staying with the brand.
look at the link for a list of how compatible older bodies are

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

If there was an un crippled KAF mount like on the z1p for instance i'd probably regret selling off my m an k lenses in favour of taks
07-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #738
Veteran Member

The SF1 can do it too Now if I can just find one with an AA grip on it...
07-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #739
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
The SF1 can do it too Now if I can just find one with an AA grip on it...
I won an SF1 last night for $18 (i had bids in for it, an mz7 and a z1-p, the z1 went beyond what i wanted to pay but still went cheap ($57 or so)]
the Mz7 i was only willing to go 20 it sold for 26, the sf 1 i had a $20 max and won just over $18

$%*%$ shipping of course is doubling the price plus a bit

07-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #740
Veteran Member

shipping costs is always the undesirable variable... but anyways, congrats on that SF1! $18... really nice deal there!
07-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #741
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
shipping costs is always the undesirable variable... but anyways, congrats on that SF1! $18... really nice deal there!
thanks, looks mint too, manual with it looks unopened from the pics, camera shows no signs of wear. hopefully i can avoid a CLA for a while on it.
08-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #742
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Which is exactly why I think going full frame is a HUGE MISTAKE and hope Pentax does not go this route. It will bankrupt the company unless Ricoh is prepared for a long term front end investment that will have no returns for 5 years.

Pentax has a 5% market share and the only people who will buy FF are current Pentax owners. You will get no business from Canon or Nikon shooters who already have a FF camera. Plus going FF is not one body. Does Pentax make a Landscape shooters camera at 24-36MP Hi-res sensor or a wedding shooters camera at 16-20MP high ISO sensor? Or both? How long would it take to create and build 12-16 lenses for this and a new flash system (the current flashes are not nearly good enough for a pro grade system).

All this would require a huge investment for what? 2% of the market if they are lucky? Don't do it Pentax. You build great APS-c cameras, keep doing that.
Seems like a catch 22. Pentax lost the crown to Canon and Nikon, to the professionals, despite being in the lead with the SLR. As you say, it It will take big money to regain the professionals, and if they don't, loyal Pentax owners will not be enough. What will a FF do for them that a K5 can't do? Even the humblest camera can meet the demands of most.
For me, the extra resolution for historical photos would be a plus, although a very expensive one.
However, one should not forget the rapid drop in prices of the components for technology, and therein may lie salvation. A FF for the price of a K5 today.

08-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #743
Veteran Member

Pentax has a 5% market share and the only people who will buy FF are current Pentax owners.
How many people are lost from Pentax because they know they'll never be able to upgrade from a K-5?
How many people are lost from Pentax because the store owner or friendly enthusiast won't shoot a K-5?

Does Pentax make a Landscape shooters camera at 24-36MP Hi-res sensor or a wedding shooters camera at 16-20MP high ISO sensor?
Wedding shooters don't post-process images these days?

QuoteQuote:
How long would it take to create and build 12-16 lenses for this
There's something like 30 Pentax full-frame lenses on the market right now, ~10 of which are Pentax. If the Pentax 12ish-24ish and 24ish-75ish are FF lenses then Pentax is AOK. A longer 2.8 zoom would be nice of course, and there's a 100ish - 300 ish which is on the map that might be just that.

QuoteQuote:
and a new flash system (the current flashes are not nearly good enough for a pro grade system).
True.

QuoteQuote:
2% of the market if they are lucky? Don't do it Pentax. You build great APS-c cameras, keep doing that.
The last time I looked, there were 7 FF bodies on the amazon-sales list above the best selling Pentax. Ricoh's said they want to challenge Canon at this.
08-25-2012, 03:43 AM   #744
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
How many people are lost from Pentax because they know they'll never be able to upgrade from a K-5?
It's not Pentax job to give those a brain
08-25-2012, 05:02 AM - 2 Likes   #745
Banned

Photos: Albums
Let me clear up the facts for everyone... Because (especially on this thread) there are a lot of people here that are attempting to make their personal perspective into fact - which it is not.

For the Pentax PK mount there are some 60+ full frame lens' on the market today. I believe places such as B&H even have about 55 of them; simply search (under B&H) lens, then slr, then full frame, then the pk lens mount - and wala - about 55 lens' - today.

Pentax and other companies such as Sigma could easily get out another 20+ new full frame lens' in addition to those already made - and do so within about one year.

As for flash units; Pentax only currently has four units. But someone please tell me how a handle mount Metz could not handle even fulltime professional use?

About the Pentax market potential and also possibility for loss. Pentax will lose more customers (and base) in they do not do full frame very soon. Much more on those losses than if they will never try full frame.
08-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #746
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Let me clear up the facts for everyone... Because (especially on this thread) there are a lot of people here that are attempting to make their personal perspective into fact - which it is not.

For the Pentax PK mount there are some 60+ full frame lens' on the market today. I believe places such as B&H even have about 55 of them; simply search (under B&H) lens, then slr, then full frame, then the pk lens mount - and wala - about 55 lens' - today.

Pentax and other companies such as Sigma could easily get out another 20+ new full frame lens' in addition to those already made - and do so within about one year.

As for flash units; Pentax only currently has four units. But someone please tell me how a handle mount Metz could not handle even fulltime professional use?

About the Pentax market potential and also possibility for loss. Pentax will lose more customers (and base) in they do not do full frame very soon. Much more on those losses than if they will never try full frame.
+1 to the above. To say nothing of the loss in the far more profitable top quality lens market. FF buyers will generally buy the best lenses, fact.

I've just sold half my PK kit to fund a Nikon FF kit. I would happily have spent that on Pentax, as I've been saying for the past year or so, had they had a FF camera in their arsenal.
08-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #747
Pentaxian

Facts? I love those
From those 56 lenses, several are redundant, e.g. the Samyangs are sold under 3 brands or so. Pentax would still have to work hard, to fill the gaps; even so, they have a starting point.

Pentax and Sigma launching 20 lenses in one year is completely unrealistic. Why would Sigma do anything like that, anyway? They don't care about growing Pentax, but only about profit.

IMO their situation is more on the "slow and steady wins the race" side, rather than being able to grow over(polar)night.
08-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #748
Veteran Member

There's about 35 lenses right now, plus whatever DA lenses and roadmap lenses you want to call FF.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/183420-current...me-lenses.html
08-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #749
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Facts? I love those
From those 56 lenses, several are redundant, e.g. the Samyangs are sold under 3 brands or so. Pentax would still have to work hard, to fill the gaps; even so, they have a starting point.

Pentax and Sigma launching 20 lenses in one year is completely unrealistic. Why would Sigma do anything like that, anyway? They don't care about growing Pentax, but only about profit.

IMO their situation is more on the "slow and steady wins the race" side, rather than being able to grow over(polar)night.
Sigma doesn't have to design new lenses just put the munt on existing ones. there are a large number they could d that on.
08-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #750
Pentaxian

Yes, but why would they do that? To help Pentax launch a FF camera? I don't think so... they would do it on a case by case basis, for those lenses they believe there is a high enough demand.
I doubt people would go crazy about Pentax, and ready to buy every lens Sigma doesn't currently have in K-mount, just because Pentax would have a FF camera.

L.E. And exactly how large is that number? I've counted 7:
APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
200-500mm F2.8 APO EX DG
300-800mm F5.6 EX DG APO HSM
8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye
800mm F5.6 EX APO DG HSM
120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS APO HSM
150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro

Last edited by Kunzite; 08-25-2012 at 08:47 AM.