Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #886
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
But we haven't yet reached the limit of APS-C density though so i wonder where that differences comes from.
The lens maybe?
The fact that APS-C demands that the lenses be able to resolve the same detail at about 42.25% of the size that FF needs to.

09-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #887
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
You can find a whopping TWO 645 lenses in stock at B&H. Charts do not available lenses make, unfortunately.
That's Pentax USA for you. Several stores over here have quite a few available for order (not in stock).
09-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #888
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
I've heard this (sorry, idiotic) argument a thousand times. Seems you think that Pentax is better off selling NOTHING than selling camera bodies, and happily waving farewell to those customers that become Nikon or Canon customers as a result. Hey, the people that "already own" APS-C cameras "already own lenses" too, so maybe Pentax shouldn't make any more APS-C cameras either, by that brilliant (not) logic. News flash: Pentax makes money if they sell camera bodies, camera batteries, camera battery grips, extra battery chargers, remote release cords, etc. Lenses are not the only commodity that Pentax makes a profit selling. If they want to "grow" their market share, they need to appeal to a wider audience, and keep what is left of their customer base from leaving, and that means FF. As far as lens sales go, if they retain their customers that want FF, they have a chance to sell them new lenses down the road. If they continue to let those customers move to Nikon and Canon, they have essentially no chance to sell them anything at all. What sounds smarter to you??
Agreed. If it weren't for about 40 lenses, more than half of which cover 24x36, I'd be with Canon already. I still consider it every time I shoot an event and I see another photographer's shots with a 5D. The availability of older lenses is a plus, not a minus to FF.
09-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #889
Forum Member

I actually like the images I've taken with a K5 and I do like using the older glass too. When it comes to assignments though, I use my Canon gear for several reasons like very accurate and predictive AF/Tracking, Total control over wireless flash units with accurate exposure and Best Pro Services in the industry. There's nothing wrong with Pentax gear, it just seems there's a lot of indecision going on or just some real deep hidden secrets about future products. Got to love that In Camera Pixel Mapping, but it's not enough to be deeply invested in any new Pentax glass or bodies. The huge electronic lens mount system Canon has is fabulous and yeah we lost totally function/compatibility with the older FD lenses, but we are in a consistently changing industry and moving forward with the technology will happen. Look at film . . . it's slowly fading away.

09-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #890
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am just curious why it is important to this forum for Pentax to gain market share?

Is it so that member here can shoot with cameras that everybody else shoot with?

Is it so that Pentax shooters here are getting sick and tired of explaining what the hell "Pentax" is because nobody know?

Is it so that PF forum old like to shoot with cameras that have prestige?

Do people think that if Pentax gains more market share, they will finally come out with 135 mm format digital?

Just curious. Not that it matters, but I bought into Pentax for two reasons. One was that my dad shot with Pentax and had nice glasses, and another was 645d. Oh, and I also thought it was cool that nobody know who Pentax is here in Southern California. One of my colleagues at a hospital thought it was a tampon brand.
09-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #891
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I am just curious why it is important to this forum for Pentax to gain market share?
While I don't really care, as long as they continue to survive and provide equipment compatible with what I already have, I see two quite important advantages:
- economy of scale - usually translates in lower prices, and it can make possible higher end, low volume products. Maybe even that "full frame" everyone is dreaming about but it can also mean using higher quality components in some products.
- more founding for R&D - required to stay competitive and even move forward.
09-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #892
Veteran Member

1) My lenses could be a source of emergency funding.
2) If Pentax went out of business tomorrow, I'd would end up starting a new system from scratch in a few years when technology warranted the change.

As long as Pentax maintains viability going forward (while giving good value despite poor economies of scale, a big caveat), I don't care that no one else shoots Pentax.

09-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #893
Veteran Member

1) My lenses could be a source of emergency funding.
2) If Pentax went out of business tomorrow, I'd would end up starting a new system from scratch in a few years when technology warranted the change.
3) Third-party lenses are getting more scarce.

As long as Pentax maintains viability going forward (while giving good value despite poor economies of scale, a big caveat), I don't care that no one else shoots Pentax.
09-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #894
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
While I don't really care, as long as they continue to survive and provide equipment compatible with what I already have, I see two quite important advantages:
- economy of scale - usually translates in lower prices, and it can make possible higher end, low volume products. Maybe even that "full frame" everyone is dreaming about but it can also mean using higher quality components in some products.
- more founding for R&D - required to stay competitive and even move forward.
But relatively speaking, are Canon and Nikon cheaper than Pentax?
09-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #895
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No. They are more expensive. However, Canon lenses are top quality.
09-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #896
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
However, Canon lenses are top quality.
many of them, but not the cheap ones!
09-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #897
Pentaxian

Generally speaking, no.
However, their position on the market allowed them to offer things like ring-type USM, 51 point AF systems, lots of accessories (including 3rd-party), better support, better presence in stores and so on. A well developed second hand market can make their best lenses "affordable". There is no guarantee, but a higher market share can allow many things otherwise impossible.
09-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #898
Forum Member

With a possible Canon 46MP FF at Photoplus 2012, a 24MP FF might seem a bit old hat when/if Pentax decides to launch it? Would possibly be better for Pentax to launch with Sony's 2nd generation 36MP sensor due out next year.

46.1mp Canon DSLR Previewed at PhotoPlus 2012? [CR1]
09-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #899
Pentaxian

No, 46Mp is itself the old battle.
And many of these battles are fought on very generalising grounds without any individualisation.
I, for one, have no interest whatsoever in video, not even in capturing formula 1 with autofocus still photography. But the "scores" on websites suggest I should...
10-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #900
Banned

I am just curious why it is important to this forum for Pentax to gain market share
Because camera body (wise) Pentax isn't far off the mark from almost being viewed as yet another Sigma camera debockle. Add to that the rather slim variety of third party products