Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #916
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Not so sure about that one. Factor in the cost of the body and how many lens' everyone has on average. Add to that items like lighting and other gadgets.
Well, I am sure about that. Let me remind you, we're talking about "FF is going to be the new norm" - which means either:
A. it will dramatically drop in price, fast, and that means entry level APS-C - not barely going under $2000, or
B. most people would suddenly be able to afford much more expensive cameras.
I don't see neither A nor B happening.

Unless... FF can be "the new norm" while most (by far) people are buying something else

10-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #917
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, I am sure about that. Let me remind you, we're talking about "FF is going to be the new norm" - which means either:
A. it will dramatically drop in price, fast, and that means entry level APS-C - not barely going under $2000, or
B. most people would suddenly be able to afford much more expensive cameras.
I don't see neither A nor B happening.

Unless... FF can be "the new norm" while most (by far) people are buying something else
"B" is silly.
I think A is going to be true.

There's also

C. EVF and MILC's take away the bottom end of sales, making FF (encroaching from above) into a higher % of DSLR sales.

It's cheating a bit, by making the statement: "FF is going to be the new norm in DSLR" but perhaps that was the intent of the statement anyway.
10-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #918
Pentaxian

I doubt A can happen - if it will at all - in the next decade. You know, in the last 3 years the entry level "full frame" DSLR prices didn't get any lower
C. is wishful thinking, not even a prediction.
10-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #919
Veteran Member

I'm not really wishing for it, so it's not wishful thinking on my part.

On the other hand I believe EVF's will eventually have enough of an advantage over OVF's, just like digital-sensor based cameras eventually had enough advantages over film that digital basically has almost 100% of the market. OVF's will have more of an advantage the larger the format is.

Let's assume (big assumption) for a minute that FF (or larger) based cameras will eventually capture over 50% of the DSLR market.

What would be the over/under time for that to happen? I think a decade or so is about right; but we'll see.

10-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #920
Pentaxian

I'm sorry, I won't make wild guesses starting from even wilder assumptions.

But - to go back on topic - even if it's unlikely (but not impossible!) that I would go "full frame", I'll do my job in supporting Pentax "full frame" efforts: I plan to buy one or two of their nicest products they'll launch next year.
10-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #921

I am really happy to be a member here..pentax a well known photo shooter. The only people who will buy FF are current Pentax owners Pentax has a 5% market share.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-25-2012 at 05:59 PM.
10-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #922
Forum Member

How big can Pentax market share be?

QuoteOriginally posted by camurblck2012 Quote
I am really happy to be a member here... Pentax has a 5% market share.
Interesting. I just wonder how big that share can be in the future, with the help of the new owner Ricoh?

10-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #923
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Forget about the real pro-market

QuoteOriginally posted by Traditional Quote
Interesting. I just wonder how big that share can be in the future, with the help of the new owner Ricoh?
Well pushing it to 10 % is totaly possible. Entering new markets is one way to make the brand bigger. Offering new camera's for new users is one other way. Not entering the real pro-market is no problem to grow to that 10 %.

I just heard yesterday off a new working method for one off the pro soccer photo-agency's overhere. The photographers work all the way on wifi, so all images go to the wifi network that they install themself in the stadium. All images go directly to India where a team of people is selecting images and working them true photoshop and publish them to certain imagebanks. That is somethin I don't see Pentax do in the (near) future.
10-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #924
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
All images go directly to India where a team of people is selecting images and working them true photoshop and publish them to certain imagebanks. That is somethin I don't see Pentax do in the (near) future.
Canon 6d, wifi built in, Now I can see where they are coming from. IN fact, I wonder if Canon kept the sensor to 20 MP to keep the information transmitted to wifi to a minimum. And I'd add the corollary that I bet they have research that shows 20 MP is enough to compete with anything in IQ... not resolution people, IQ, they aren't the same thing.
10-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #925
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Sell all you gears to make them realize that pentaxians are upset by making them wait for that FF & are already jumping to other manufacturers!!!

hahaha i'm just joking...

but seriously its happening right now everyone knows that!

for me people here are not just pushing pentax to produce that FF but are already shoving them to come up with one!

hey pentax do something before its too late!!!

i just wanted to add this that its not only the FF that the general pentaxians are concerned about but also a good lens line-up something that we common shooters here can keep & brag about.

i hope they redesign that DA*16-50.
10-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #926
Veteran Member

don't worry saudiboypalaboy, people who already jumped out (like myself) will be back right after release FF, thay acknowledge unbeatable Pentax filling and they will not be able to resist from putting limiteds on ff beast>
10-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #927
Pentaxian

If they haven't already altered their limiteds to work on Canon FF cameras. It's nto like we don't have a few choices here.
10-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #928
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by saudiboypalaboy Quote

hey pentax do something before its too late!!!
It is already too late... so 7 years too late.
10-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #929
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Too late? No. If Pentax announces a FF next year, there will still be people lined up to buy it. And depending on its price and features, they could even steal some customers from Nikon/Canon.
10-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #930
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Sorry, Anvh, I won't run to the caves. By the way, Nikon launched their first "full frame" camera in 2007... that's 5 years ago, and it wasn't too late.