Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 155 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #1051
Pentaxian

And you are absolutely correct.

01-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #1052

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
I think that people who buy FF camera its a bunch of well educated shooters - to spend 2000 for a camera it must be very reasonable and well thought reason.... for that kind of people 3 limiteds will be more than enough to take an advantage of such a camera - at least for me it will be. 12-16 lenses during the wedding and especially during on location session? I take and use maximum 2-3 lenses (one fast zoom as a backup would be nice)
What I want is the equivalent of the K1000 from 1975.
I want a simple camera, even a full manual mode that uses old
aperture priority lenses, and has a FF sensor.
I would be happy with a K1000 digital conversion kit acutally!
01-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #1053

I think duct tape could act like a digital conversion kit. Put some on the LCD, and on the mode wheel to make it stick to Manual mode. Presto! a digital K1000. Except for the viewfinder.
01-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #1054

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Folks always talk about the hardware but I would guess that software will be just as or more important in the next few years. Consumers looking for mainstream cameras will increasingly expect their camera to behave like the smartphone they started with and still use. That means big touch screens on the back and snappy programmes from which everything can be controlled in the style of, say, camera+, instagram or snapseed on IOS. Few camera-makers seem to have gotten serious about this as yet, though there are a some attempts out there, but the ones who don't get with the programme might well be left stranded. And without those mainstream camera sales, no outfit will have the base from which to support new models be they FF or any other format. So I don't see FF as being that much of a priority for Pentax even though they might like to do it. Getting all that software right and the electronics it will require is a really big job. Actually, I suspect that for many years Pentax didn't want to do FF anyway, having made such a big bet on APS-C that they were loathe to do anything which might undercut it. They could still keep away from FF on DSLR and wait until it starts to appear on mirrorless (Sony RX1, etc.) which means they could sidestep the problem of getting together a decent line of FF lenses. All speculation. We'll see.
maybe but i would not be interested in that product. i want something simple that is ff but takes old k lenses

01-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #1055

QuoteOriginally posted by robin48gx Quote
maybe but i would not be interested in that product. i want something simple that is ff but takes old k lenses

I completely agree for support of K lenses
I read the article with Pentax representative, which questions that. If not its a great reason to jump a ship for me. That would leave me 2 possibilities: Sell my K5 and all what I have from Pentax till it has some kind of value, or sell K5 and DA lens and keep MX while getting old M lenses for MX - which means I will never buy new lenses from Pentax/3rd party = loss of money for company. I will for sure jump the ship with resentment.
01-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #1056
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those who haven't seen this or voted, let your voice be heard here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/209882-next-...oh-pentax.html
Share your ideas about what would make you buy your desired camera from Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by em-tx Quote
I will never buy new lenses from Pentax/3rd party = loss of money for company
Most people expect to pay for a lens once and get service from that lens for a lifetime. Pentax make quality lenses and most of them should be one-off purchases. But for those who want to get AF lenses, as well as keep their old legacy MF lenses for their own use, Pentax does offer that. I think that's a great advantage. I don't think it's a case of no more money for Pentax. New lenses being produced mean a broader range of options for those seeking specific focal lengths and AF features (screwdrive, SDM, DC).
01-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #1057

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
For those who haven't seen this or voted, let your voice be heard here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/209882-next-...oh-pentax.html
Share your ideas about what would make you buy your desired camera from Pentax.

Most people expect to pay for a lens once and get service from that lens for a lifetime. Pentax make quality lenses and most of them should be one-off purchases. But for those who want to get AF lenses, as well as keep their old legacy MF lenses for their own use, Pentax does offer that. I think that's a great advantage. I don't think it's a case of no more money for Pentax. New lenses being produced mean a broader range of options for those seeking specific focal lengths and AF features (screwdrive, SDM, DC).
I do not expect to buy lenses for life, or not all of them. But if K mount is dropped, than most likely I will jump a ship, because if I gonna keep growing I will have to change mount either way. Jumping a ship will be decided by economical development and my growth as photographer - how cheap are getting FF and value of equipment I have vs. how much I am exhibiting or selling pictures.
I love M lenses and at least half of times I use MF. I am more for fast, hi res lenses with lot of control.

However what I am saying, if K mount is dropped or I sell whole system or I keep MX and I will therefor look for old M lenses only. I will not buy new lenses (in what I am interested now) with goal of creating versatile system - kino FF, APS-C and possibly later Digital FF.

01-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #1058
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm talking more about longevity.
Lenses are not prone to widespread failure, or as much wear and tear (due to fewer moving parts/electronics, etc) as modern cameras do. Things change when introducing things like SDM motors that do fail, but generally speaking, lenses are an investment, and camera bodies are a liability (because they depreciate). Once you have an FA or DA Limited, for example, you have a tool that when put on any K-mount camera now or in the future, will give consistently brilliant results for a very long time (if well cared for).
01-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #1059

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'm talking more about longevity.
Lenses are not prone to widespread failure, or as much wear and tear (due to fewer moving parts/electronics, etc) as modern cameras do. Things change when introducing things like SDM motors that do fail, but generally speaking, lenses are an investment, and camera bodies are a liability (because they depreciate). Once you have an FA or DA Limited, for example, you have a tool that when put on any K-mount camera now or in the future, will give consistently brilliant results for a very long time (if well cared for).
Well exactly, "if put on K mount..." I will invest in FA LTD if I have assurance that Pentax keeps K mount. To buy FA LTD perspectively for MX is bit of waste. So I really hope they keep K mount, because I can grow with K5 now and I think when I grow up from K5 I will look for FF camera, which in couple of years should financially feasible. I think its about looking at the perspective. I use photography as a hobby, but its a part of my profession as well, so I will have lasting. I know lot of people which are looking to buy into brand from long term perspective.
01-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #1060

Folks ,

I have 7 Pentax Bodies K1000, Pz-1P, MZ-s Film Camera's & K10D, K20D, K7 & finally my K5. With well over 10K sunk into glass over 30+ years of shooting Pentax I would find it illogical ( and crazy expensive) to jump ship to another manufacturer just because I desire Full Frame (which I do). Pentax/Ricoh is in Business to make money and if they see that they can have a impact in a particular market segment then they will enter it .

For me as a Semi-Pro/Transitioning to Professional Photographer I want a camera that doesn't require menu diving when Shooting in Studio or on Location. This is a Camera that is ergonomically designed with the Photographer in Mind , A Digital camera that that emulates the simplicity of film but gives the range of customization that we presently have with the K5. I would prefer a Slightly larger camera ( I loved the K20's size with the grip attached) but at a slightly lighter weight. Really I would love if they brought back the MZ-S design and made it lighter and incorporated FF into that body without changing batteries that we currently use with the K7/K5 models .

Keep the OVF because no matter what the technological advances Mirorrless/or EVF still isn't as good as Optical ( and it is additional electronics to fail in the long run and when have you heard of a OVF failing) Mirrorless and other hybrid viewfinders are nice and I have shot with a few but serious photography isn't gimmicky. Make a GREAT Camera that Can be used by Pros and Enthusiasts alike and has the IQ and Simplicity of use and people will buy it. This is just my 3 cents on this subject!!

Keep on Shooting
George
(AKA Geojazz)
01-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #1061

QuoteOriginally posted by geojazz Quote
Folks ,

I have 7 Pentax Bodies K1000, Pz-1P, MZ-s Film Camera's & K10D, K20D, K7 & finally my K5. With well over 10K sunk into glass over 30+ years of shooting Pentax I would find it illogical ( and crazy expensive) to jump ship to another manufacturer just because I desire Full Frame (which I do). Pentax/Ricoh is in Business to make money and if they see that they can have a impact in a particular market segment then they will enter it .
I do not have so much money invested, therefor its not a crazy option for me, so I do not end up with unsupported mount which I freshly invested to. I also tour lot and I prefer to have body as K5 - its perfect size to keep mobility.
With all respect, but you have 30+ behind and I hope I have 30+ in front of me.
01-11-2013, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #1062

QuoteOriginally posted by em-tx Quote
I do not have so much money invested, therefor its not a crazy option for me, so I do not end up with unsupported mount which I freshly invested to. I also tour lot and I prefer to have body as K5 - its perfect size to keep mobility.
With all respect, but you have 30+ behind and I hope I have 30+ in front of me.

I respect your position , but Pentax would be crazy to move away from the K Mount! First it would take new R&D and New mount that would not be backward compatible with older cameras ( and most of your expense is in R&D). A Mature Mount like the K mount with full backward compatibility to the old film glass is one of the hallmarks of Pentax ..... No Other Camera Manufacturer has that kind of compatibility with their lens systems. As for any new Camera size I would buy a K5 sized FF camera , my preference is for something slightly larger that is all ( because it balances longer heavier Pro Lenses better) .

Keep Shooting
Geojazz
01-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #1063
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geojazz Quote
I respect your position , but Pentax would be crazy to move away from the K Mount! First it would take new R&D and New mount that would not be backward compatible with older cameras ( and most of your expense is in R&D). A Mature Mount like the K mount with full backward compatibility to the old film glass is one of the hallmarks of Pentax ..... No Other Camera Manufacturer has that kind of compatibility with their lens systems. As for any new Camera size I would buy a K5 sized FF camera , my preference is for something slightly larger that is all ( because it balances longer heavier Pro Lenses better) .

Keep Shooting
Geojazz
A new mount and an AF K-mount adapter would ensure backwards compatibility without being held back by old tech.
01-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #1064
Pentaxian

Is a fully backwards-compatible AF K-mount adapter certain? How much would it cost? How would it help people with no intentions of moving from DSLRs?
01-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #1065
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
How would it help people with no intentions of moving from DSLRs?
It would allow them to keep using their legacy DSLR lenses on the modern cameras.