Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 03:49 AM   #1111
Pentaxian

You shouldn't compare an obviously fake 1st April joke with an interview with a Pentax official.

I see you are still ignoring the fact that Speedbooster is/will be made for lens mounts with larger registration distances than the K-mount.

01-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #1112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You shouldn't compare an obviously fake 1st April joke with an interview with a Pentax official.
I can't answer a joke with a joke?

LOL! I never thought the people at PF would play such a crual joke either, but I was proven wrong then too. Fool me once...

I see you are still ignoring the fact that Speedbooster is/will be made for lens mounts with larger registration distances than the K-mount.
Not ignoring, I think you just don't understand how it works. Or I'm wrong myself, then just correct me:

Lenses with a large registry distance can be coupled with a speedbooster to ten be used on mounts with a shorter registry distance. Not on mounts with the same registry distance, because the speedbooster shortens the lenses registry distance.

For example, speedbooster can adapt FF PK lenses to work on APSC E-mount. They can't adapt FF PK lenses to APSC PK camera, because the registry distance will be to short.

So, in that respect, the only use for K-mount cameras with a speedbooster, would be to use lenses with an even longer registry distance. The number of candidates that fit that description seem to be negligable.

Not such good news for Pentax. But hopefully I got it wrong. Then please correct me.
01-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #1113
Pentaxian

I didn't liked that 1st April joke, by the way; it was indeed cruel.

I understand how it works, it indeed adapts SLR lenses on MILC cameras. Pentax K-mount lenses, APS-C and FF, could easily be adapted to MILC cameras by a Speedbooster. Yes, you cannot do the other way around but that's true for every SLR mount out there (and with medium format lenses, it doesn't make much sense IMO). Pentax K is not doomed, unless Nikon F, Canon EOS are doomed as well.
In the light of the recent interviews, it appears Pentax will have the proper solution, a full frame camera (depending on the marketing people to find a solution which sells). This will be superior to the Speedbooster kludge, by the way (and more costly, as well).
01-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #1114
Veteran Member

I understand how it works, it indeed adapts SLR lenses on MILC cameras. Pentax K-mount lenses, APS-C and FF, could easily be adapted to MILC cameras by a Speedbooster. Yes, you cannot do the other way around but that's true for every SLR mount out there (and with medium format lenses, it doesn't make much sense IMO). Pentax K is not doomed, unless Nikon F, Canon EOS are doomed as well.
In the light of the recent interviews, it appears Pentax will have the proper solution, a full frame camera (depending on the marketing people to find a solution which sells). This will be superior to the Speedbooster kludge, by the way (and more costly, as well).
Wouldn't it make as much sense adapting Medium format lenses to smaller format camera, as it makes sense adapting FF to smaller format camera?

01-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #1115
Pentaxian

IMO no; because they are not very fast, and are expensive; I think you'll be better off using native FF lenses.
01-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #1116
Veteran Member

But how much room do you need, the mirror of the APS-C is a bit smaller so the mount could come inward a bit.
Beside we are talking about the speedbooster, whoe say you can't make a condenser that keeps the register?
01-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #1117
Pentaxian

We already discussed about a smaller registration distance APS-C DSLR ad nauseam and no, it can't. Nothing changed since then, sorry

The current version is around 600? Making it more complex will increase its price, and we're already not very far from FF domain (if adding the price of a high end APS-C camera).

01-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #1118
Veteran Member

We already discussed about a smaller registration distance APS-C DSLR ad nauseam and no, it can't.
Canon have lenses that can only be used with APS-C because the lens intrude into the mount, why can't pentax do that?
The register of the mount stays the same.
01-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #1119

I would upgrade to a FF. Ideal spec would be K-5 body with 24MP low noise sensor, upgraded processor to improve speed and HD movies, upgraded focus sensors, 100% viewfinder and aperture ring in the lens mount so I can fully use older lenses.
A FF sensor would get the best out of the A and FA lenses I have, and with Ricoh investment Pentax could produce and new range of HD FF lenses.
Hurry up as I am getting very tempted to swap to Sony SLT-A99 with Zeiss glass, but the large size makes me wait for Pentax.
01-20-2013, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #1120
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GordonD Quote
A FF sensor would get the best out of the A and FA lenses I have, and with Ricoh investment Pentax could produce and new range of HD FF lenses
Also noting; in addition to the Pentax labeled variations that you mentioned... In total there are in excess of some fifty existing marketed fullframe lens' available in PK
01-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #1121

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
For example, speedbooster can adapt FF PK lenses to work on APSC E-mount. They can't adapt FF PK lenses to APSC PK camera, because the registry distance will be to short.
FF K-mount is the same mount as APS-C K-mount. So the registry distance difference would be zero. So... i'm under the impression that you think these two K-mounts have different registry distance... Which would make you wrong, in a different subject altogether.
I don't think anybody was implying metabones was going to make a speedbooster that will adapt FF K-mount lenses to APS-C K-mount lenses.

As for me, i've jumped ship already 6-months ago... to µ4/3. And this is welcomed news for me! f0.75 here i come!
01-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #1122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
FF K-mount is the same mount as APS-C K-mount. So the registry distance difference would be zero. So... i'm under the impression that you think these two K-mounts have different registry distance... Which would make you wrong, in a different subject altogether.
I don't think anybody was implying metabones was going to make a speedbooster that will adapt FF K-mount lenses to APS-C K-mount lenses.

As for me, i've jumped ship already 6-months ago... to µ4/3. And this is welcomed news for me! f0.75 here i come!
Nope, you should read more carefully. The registry distance will be to short for use on K-mount when the speedbooster is applied. Because the speedbooster will shorten the registry distance.
01-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #1123

I know! That's what i'm saying.

Even so, theoretically speaking, it doesn't HAVE to shorten the registry distance. There are adaptors for FD to EF-mount and FD is a shorter mount than EF! If you ad glass in your adaptor, anything goes. You could have an adaptor that reduces the image circle while adapting a K-mount to a K-mount.
But nobody's gonna make that.

Anyways just give me my fullframe already.

Last edited by Spare Tire; 01-22-2013 at 08:08 AM.
01-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #1124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
you could have an adaptor that reduces the image circle while adapting a K-mount to a K-mount.
Not sure but if you've design that keeps the register it should work on all mounts right?
01-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #1125
Veteran Member

Can we also try to push another FF camera out?

645... 6x7? =D