Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 155 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #1336
Veteran Member

Pentax uses SR with the sensor, if they leave out the SR it might fit on the current board even... but that's not the biggest problem it are the lenses.
FF lenses are bigger and heavier so not the thing you might want on APS-C beside that what are the reasons these days to get an FF camera?
For video Pentax can not compete against magic lantern sadly... also the K mount is not use professionally on video camera's.

07-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #1337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think FF is a smart move. I think we sometimes forget the emotional side of a camera purchase. While only a small percentage of people getting into photography actually ever go pro or truly need a FF camera, I really wonder how many APS-C sales Pentax loses simply because someone is dreaming bigger down the road and Pentax doesn't offer the upgrade option, thus another Canikon sale. Maybe FF won't make Pentax much money, might even be a loss-leader, but for newbies it offers a future upgrade path that might push them to a K-30 or K-5, making up for any loss in entry-level sales. Just food for thought.
07-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #1338
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
I think FF is a smart move. ..
Pentax is the last optics and camera making brand to figure
  • what is a smart move
  • that FF gear practically sells all Canon's and Nikon's and Leica's other stuff
  • that RX-1 does the same effect for Sony
  • some neat marketing ideas pioneered by Egyptian pharaoh Iry-Hor in 3100 BC
07-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #1339
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
FF lenses are bigger and heavier so not the thing you might want on APS-C beside that what are the reasons these days to get an FF camera?
The lenses are smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have better resolving power. That's why people want a FF camera.

07-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #1340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The lenses are smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have better resolving power. That's why people want a FF camera.
Then it's better to go 645, those lenses are even smaller, lighter, cheaper and even have better resolving power... maybe they need to make a digital 67, that's even better.
07-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #1341
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
I think FF is a smart move. I think we sometimes forget the emotional side of a camera purchase. While only a small percentage of people getting into photography actually ever go pro or truly need a FF camera, I really wonder how many APS-C sales Pentax loses simply because someone is dreaming bigger down the road and Pentax doesn't offer the upgrade option, thus another Canikon sale. Maybe FF won't make Pentax much money, might even be a loss-leader, but for newbies it offers a future upgrade path that might push them to a K-30 or K-5, making up for any loss in entry-level sales. Just food for thought.
But the amount of money that needs to bump into those camera's and lenses is not a small amount, also it needs to appeal to the professionals and get decent to good reviews.

Do you have any idea how Pentax can compete with Canon and Nikon FF range of camera's? I just don't see a way how it can compete directly because they are 10 years behind...
07-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #1342
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But the amount of money that needs to bump into those camera's and lenses is not a small amount, also it needs to appeal to the professionals and get decent to good reviews.

Do you have any idea how Pentax can compete with Canon and Nikon FF range of camera's? I just don't see a way how it can compete directly because they are 10 years behind...
True... That's why they shouldn't target the pro's right away. Firstly the enthusiasts that want a FF, but can't afford one from the big brands. It's only reasonable for a brand that is lacking 10 years in flash developement and lens line up not to ask the highest price.

There's enough users that don't require each and every focal length. And plenty that shoot natural light or manual flashes only. That is something each and every Pentaxian is used to.

07-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #1343
Veteran Member

Then it's better to go 645, those lenses are even smaller, lighter, cheaper and even have better resolving power... maybe they need to make a digital 67, that's even better.
There's no 645 digital camera yet, much less 67, of course. I'd love to purchase one - and I imagine in a decade or so I will - but right now the initial investment for the camera is too much for me to justify.

Diminishing returns coupled with economies of scale make a 56x42mm sensor untenable for most of the market currently considering 36x24, which itself is a small subset of those who would justify the cost of 24x16mm.
07-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #1344

Bottom LIne

Nikon D600 and Canon 6D both compete around 1800-2000 and are readily accessible to all enthusiasts.... many people in my camera club are migrating to them for the improved low light performance and clarity of the larger sensor.

All manufacturers have full frame automatic lenses from the more recent film days that fit their current mounts and will work fine, with the Pentax FA line as one example, so no immediate research and development will need to go into lenses at all.

As far as the DSLR camera market is concerned.... well... the market is heading towards more affordable full frame cameras from all manufacturers, and that just simply cannot be denied by Pentax.

Either bring out a full frame camera or let the other manufacturers including emerging names like Samsung and Sony eat your lunch as well as theirs, because guaranteed, they'll all have full frame options for the general public in the very near future.

And being such a small player in the market, Pentax cannot afford to lose customers to the competition because of a product that they do not offer.
07-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #1345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll confess I haven't figured out the big research need for lenses. Most of the FA designs are great (limiteds, 20, 85, 200 f2.8, 300 f2.8). The limited lenses still sell for APS-C cameras. The others would as well had they not been discontinued (at least I'd buy a couple of these). Start making and selling them again with FF camera, then over time, start updating. Don't have to do it all at once.
07-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #1346

You got it jrpower10... And there better be an announcement in the next year or I'm looking seriously at Nikon and Cannon... But I sure would love to stay with Pentax... Already have some legacy and FA lens for use with FF.

Last edited by briancornerbrook; 07-08-2013 at 07:19 PM.
07-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #1347
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by briancornerbrook Quote
You got it jrpower10... And there better be an announcement at Photokina this Sept. Or in looking seriously at Nikon and Cannon... But I sure would love to stay with Pentax... Already have some legacy and FA lens for use with FF.
I think there is no Photokina this year.
07-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #1348

You're right Uluru .
07-09-2013, 04:48 AM   #1349

Photos: Gallery
Does any1 else often get the itch to move to Cannon or Nikon for a FF, but stay with pentax NOT because of FA lenses or whatever else, but because they just like the way pentax do things?
Like, I like the menus, the look of the cameras, the non-fuss around it - the underdog status. Everytime I look at Can/Nikon lenses and bodies, I think "this is just stupid", e.g. $1700 for a second hanf 5D mk2. So that's $800 more than a K-5 II which has better AF and similar high ISO. it's madness and i dont like it and THAT's why I stay with Pentax, not because of FF glass i have.
07-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #1350
Veteran Member

I would trade any Pentax's AF away for a Canon 5DII's, instantly, and I would give you $400 for the pleasure of doing so.