36mp = 16mp aps-c.

07-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #1457

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
36mp = 16mp aps-c.
ok, 16mp, whatever
07-31-2014, 05:27 AM   #1458

I have missed the fact that D610 has got that feature already.
Cheers
08-30-2014, 04:06 PM - 2 Likes   #1459

Gave up waiting

Unfortunately I gave up waiting for Pentax and went over to Canon for a full frame. Everything about it is worth the price. It has changed my pictures for the better, and reduced my workflow in photoshop. The low light performance, and the dof being so creamy are worth the switch. I really don't understand why Pentax is having such problem with producing a full frame camera. I will never shoot APS-C for my portrait sessions again. I got rid of my K3 and haven't even missed it. I still have my K5 for sports, but I will never use it for portraits again. For anyone that is wondering why anyone would want to go to full frame hasn't ever used a full frame or used one to it's fullest. I will definitely purchase a Pentax full frame in the future if they ever make one.

08-30-2014, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #1460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amom2twins Quote
Unfortunately I gave up waiting for Pentax and went over to Canon for a full frame. Everything about it is worth the price. It has changed my pictures for the better, and reduced my workflow in photoshop. The low light performance, and the dof being so creamy are worth the switch. I really don't understand why Pentax is having such problem with producing a full frame camera. I will never shoot APS-C for my portrait sessions again. I got rid of my K3 and haven't even missed it. I still have my K5 for sports, but I will never use it for portraits again. For anyone that is wondering why anyone would want to go to full frame hasn't ever used a full frame or used one to it's fullest. I will definitely purchase a Pentax full frame in the future if they ever make one.
I would have done the opposite, keeping the K-3 for sports, but I guess you wanted to get resale value, am I wrong ?
08-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #1461
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by SkilakDeZoo Quote
I have missed the fact that D610 has got that feature already.
Cheers
Along with the 36mp A7r etc.
08-30-2014, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #1462
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amom2twins Quote
... I really don't understand why Pentax is having such problem with producing a full frame camera... I will definitely purchase a Pentax full frame in the future if they ever make one
That is whats so puzzling. There's a gaping hole in Ricoh/Pentax product line wide as a barn door (commonly referred to as 35mm format, FF and APS) and yet still you have people saying... what hole, I see no hole and even if theres a hole I get along fine anyhow, dont whine about it and dont you dare fill that hole because believe me you dont need it!
(sarcasm alert)

---------- Post added 2014-08-31 at 14:42 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Along with the 36mp A7r etc.
My Pentaxian friend let me play with his full frame Sony mirrorless a bit; he had adapted it for his Pentax lens. Theres a lot of camera right there to love but of course it lacked the Pentaxian ergonomically sure-footed grip and the straight-forward no-nonsense menus and controls.

I hope the new Ricoh Pentax DSLR 35mm FF APS format camera will also be mirrorless but improve upon the Sony in droves. But when?!

08-31-2014, 03:27 PM   #1463

I haven't jumped into this cat fight for a while, but it would appear that Photokina 2014 will come and go without a 36mm x 24mm sensor in a Pentax camera. Frankly I am glad, because I hope Ricoh R&D dollars are going into solving other problems, notably (for me) is fixing a flash system that is mired in the 1980s (at least). The R&D spent for the K-S1 has me scratching my head however.

But I did want to share this unscientific test conducted with a friend when the subject of low light performance came up.

FF sensors need bigger glass to 'cover' the sensor. An 82mm diameter lens will capture more light than a 62 mm diameter lens. I yield on this point. That 82mm diameter glass is also much heavier and is more likely to be in my bag than on my camera, but that is a different argument. In the end, does it matter? A friend has a Canon 5d MKIII and I have a lowly Pentax K5. We decided to argue our respective cases in the studio (copious amounts of beer and much shouting hadn't seemed to get us anywhere).
We set up a Photovision calibration target and draped one piece of black lace and one piece of white lace over top of it. Then we set up 4 video-lux 5600K CFL lamps to light the set as evenly as possible.
The Canon had a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. My closest comparable was a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8. We both made a custom white balance and set the ISO to the 'native' 100 of the Canon. (The Pentax is ISO certified at 80 but since the Canon can't do that we gave it a bit of a break and both used 100). Then we metered the light at +4 ev, and set apertures to f/5.6 (theoretical sweet spot 2 stops less than full open). We both got nearly perfect and similar exposure histograms off the Photovision target at 2 seconds. From there we changed shutter speeds up and down in 1/3 stop increments.
The result: We could discern details in the black lace 3 stops darker with the Pentax than we did with the Canon. The Canon was slightly better on the whites where it had a 1/3 stop advantage. So we concluded the K5 has a 2.7 stop wider range at +4 ev than the 5dmkIII. We didn't bother trying lower or higher continuous light setups (maybe too much beer by then) but although there may be some differences, I don't think it would matter very much. But to the subject at hand ...
Capturing detail in the blacks 2.7 stops darker with the crop sensor camera tells me that the idea of FF cameras having better low light performance is a myth or at least a very broad assumption that my friend and I could not prove with the gear we had available.
OK, this may not have been a completely scientific test but it seemed practical to us, and applicable in the real world. I don't see myself making many photographs at +4 ev, but if I do, I am quite comfortable knowing I will get a decent image at 1/15th, f/2.8 and ISO 800. With the Pentax anti-shake on, I might even get away with hand holding it. The test is pretty simple. Try it yourself and post what you learn. I would also be very interested in opinions about the test and if it is flawed in any way.
08-31-2014, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #1464
Pentaxian

We'll see what happens at Photokina 2014, but I'm starting to think Ricoh isn't capable of making a FF. These silly excuses that they can't afford it, or there is no market for it is nonsense. I'm starting to think they're just too lazy or don't have the R&D talent to make one. I really want a Pentax FF, but if one doesn't come out soon, I think the Nikon 610 would be my second choice.. but then got to get all new glass.. bummer.
08-31-2014, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #1465
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
We'll see what happens at Photokina 2014, but I'm starting to think Ricoh isn't capable of making a FF. These silly excuses that they can't afford it, or there is no market for it is nonsense. I'm starting to think they're just too lazy or don't have the R&D talent to make one. I really want a Pentax FF, but if one doesn't come out soon, I think the Nikon 610 would be my second choice.. but then got to get all new glass.. bummer.
I'm telling you, used 645 D with manual A-glass.
08-31-2014, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #1466
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm telling you, used 645 D with manual A-glass.
I don't want something that big.
08-31-2014, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #1467
Pentaxian

I don't want something that big.
Picky Picky...
08-31-2014, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #1468

These silly excuses that they can't afford it, or there is no market for it is nonsense.
what insights into the market do you have that you come to that conclusion?

afaik they say there's only a market for it if it has a unique selling point. making a FF is one thing, making a FF with a strong USP is another. if the Pentax FF is spec'd and priced just like the canikon full frames, then people will keep buying those. i guess for Pentax the cost of R&D, marketing and rollout is only worth it if they can sell the FF not only to existing customers, but also convert people from other brands.
08-31-2014, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #1469

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote

afaik they say there's only a market for it if it has a unique selling point. making a FF is one thing, making a FF with a strong USP is another. if the Pentax FF is spec'd and priced just like the canikon full frames, then people will keep buying those. i guess for Pentax the cost of R&D, marketing and rollout is only worth it if they can sell the FF not only to existing customers, but also convert people from other brands.
Tesla wants one. He's not going to be the only one. Or, he'll buy his ff Nikon for what he wants, and so and so will buy their ff Sony for what they want, and someone else will buy a, gag, samsung APSC for 4k. At this point, specs like ff aren't a luxury. Pentax has to retain its current users, attract new users, and "convert" users from other brands (although I question how loyal anyone is to a brand these days). Updates to the technology are inevitable, and ff just seems obvious.
08-31-2014, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #1470
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote

I don't see any unique selling points for their APS-C cameras that can't be duplicated on their FF's.

It's a wonder that they don't stop selling their APS-C cameras.