Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The FA 50mm isn't being discontinued, though. A few teasers from our interview with Pentax Japan:
QuoteQuote:
4:00(Interviewer) Is the new DA50mm f/1.8 going to be replacement for the FA 50 or are you going to have both on the market?

4:09(Kawauchi) The FA50 will be continued as it is. The 50mm prototype shown has a whole new optical design. When compared to the usual 50mm, we aim for a reasonable price point. We plan to sell both the FA50mm F/1.4 and DA50mm F/1.8 as different products.

10:56(Interviewer) (Paraphrased) What's missing in your camera lineup?

10:30(Kawauchi) We continuously consider 35mm (full-frame), but it has to be different from what other manufactures are releasing and lenses supporting 35mm have to be prepared. We think these are the principal challenges. So for example, even if we decide to make a full size SLR in the future, we will release what is not available from the other makers. We cannot comment and we do not know when it will be.
What are the "10:30", etc referring to in that snippet?

02-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I have been a very eager proponent of a Pentax FF camera. However, after some time it has gotten even in my thick skull:

It ... is ... just ... not ... going ... to ... happen ...

At least not in DSLR form.
02-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I agree unfortunately, and the D800 is looking mighty fine..
02-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I have been a very eager proponent of a Pentax FF camera. However, after some time it has gotten even in my thick skull:

IF it's going to happen, then it will be a SLR:

QuoteQuote:
10:30(Kawauchi) We continuously consider 35mm (full-frame), but it has to be different from what other manufactures are releasing and lenses supporting 35mm have to be prepared. We think these are the principal challenges. So for example, even if we decide to make a full size SLR in the future, we will release what is not available from the other makers. We cannot comment and we do not know when it will be.

02-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So a FF K01 might be the only option? That would be different.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A K-5-sized full-frame would also be different
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote

Yes it is.

But not until such tme as every Pentax user who wants FF has switched - and sold off all their legacy lenses. Then Pentax will introduce a truly groundbreaking, "Why didn't we think of that?" FF camera and everyone will come back.

But they'll have to buy all new lenses.[/sarc]

Be of good cheer. I profess that Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.
02-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

It seems like there's almost nothing we can say in this thread that we haven't said before. However, to repeat a sentiment that's been echoed by many, I wish they'd release what I was looking for when I first switched to a dslr: a bare-bones, digital K1000-type slr. A sensor, a shutter, an LCD screen, and little else, at a very low price. I never use auto focus, so that feature is wasted on me. I do enjoy SR, but I could live without it if the price was right. Such a camera would certainly be unique on the market.

It would be essentially an entry-level camera with insanely good i.q. and low-light capability.
02-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

there are lots of ways it could be different he did mention the lens issue as well. so I'm guessing 2013 not this year since there are a number of needed lenses to drop the body on the market (and a clear roadmap on more)
But it is doable. given how deprived the company seems to have been in the last 18-24 months for R&D on lenses and anything else I am surprised they have got as much on the go as they have. I'm also impressed with how them seem to be trying to address it rapidly and build a line that is viable as quickly as possible. Every quote i read tells me the next 2 years are going to be the polar opposite of the last 4 from a release standpoint (and probably a marketing one as well)

Sony has FF Sr Clavius (and wasn't the a900 weather sealed mag alloy as well? so not unique. K mount it unique of course but i doubt that was the intent of the comment.
a digital LX in mirrorless form would be unique with interchangeable prisms and a top mounted EVF w/ WL hood - my dream cam

02-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
He sais they dunno when. Which means it WILL come.
02-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes it is.

But not until such tme as every Pentax user who wants FF has switched - and sold off all their legacy lenses. Then Pentax will introduce a truly groundbreaking, "Why didn't we think of that?" FF camera and everyone will come back.

But they'll have to buy all new lenses.[/sarc]

Be of good cheer. I profess that Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.
I volunteer to buy these film lenses.
02-16-2012, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A long time ago . . .

In a galaxy far, far away . . .

DSLR
WARS

Episode XXVI
THE PERPETUAL HOPE
02-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I think Pentax will design a full frame mirrorless with optional electronic viewfinder to allow for improved screens, tethering module, etc. They will want more full frame lenses ready to sell when the body becomes available, or they will lose lots of sales. I think k-mount will be used. Without it, many of us would lose interest, as Nikon, Canon, and Sony would become attractive alternatives.
02-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
It seems like there's almost nothing we can say in this thread that we haven't said before. However, to repeat a sentiment that's been echoed by many, I wish they'd release what I was looking for when I first switched to a dslr: a bare-bones, digital K1000-type slr. A sensor, a shutter, an LCD screen, and little else, at a very low price. I never use auto focus, so that feature is wasted on me. I do enjoy SR, but I could live without it if the price was right. Such a camera would certainly be unique on the market.

It would be essentially an entry-level camera with insanely good i.q. and low-light capability.
Sensor price is the big issue here. currently the sensors seem to be 5-10% of the retail of the final product. FF sensors even old ones will cost $250-300 and lag on iq versus the new sensors. put them in a stripped camera and it will still sell for $2000 - most of the bells and whistles cost little to implement and justify price.

if they could launch a FF k1000 body for $1000 I think a ton of people would be all over it but it's not viable from what i can see. Any sensor old enough to be theoretically cheap enough is also long out of production. and k1000 features at $2000 won't sell, you need to offer more or something truly groundbreaking besides price
02-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #28

Well I guess many of us will switch to the d800. Now I have to learn a whole new lens system... Are there nikkors as sweet as the 31 and the 77? FML..
02-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #29

Well put

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I doubt this means anything other than they've adjusted their language to suit the present situation. People jump at shadows, but it gives some of us more to talk (complain) about, which is easier than getting out and taking pictures
Too true!
02-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Whats ironic about all this is that "Full Frame" at one time was considered an amateurish format when medium and large format dominated.

Now people hold FF up to some sort of near mythical status.