Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #391
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
What I really want is to shoot the FA 43ltd.... on the FF Pentax K1.
Me too..... that lens is glued to my film body right know...

03-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #392
Veteran Member

IMO most glass gives great results on FF, lenses I don't like on aps-c comes forth on FF and produces better images, maybe because alot of the characteristics of a lens is hidden in the corners (seriously)? :-) I also think it's much easier to achieve 3d feeling with a FF camera. FF gives me small advantages overall, thats why I want Pentax to make one.
03-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #393
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I for the same reason want a lower priced 645D, more 3D, more great results.
03-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Don't feel too bad.. that D3 didn't sell because it was under the seller's reserve price
Bah.. crap.. reserve prices are for sissies!

03-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #395
Inactive Account

So what?
03-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #396
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baris Quote
So what?
And you registered to be able to post this?
03-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
And you registered to be able to post this?
I think this is called "eloquence."
03-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #398
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
IMO most glass gives great results on FF, lenses I don't like on aps-c comes forth on FF and produces better images, maybe because alot of the characteristics of a lens is hidden in the corners (seriously)? :-) I also think it's much easier to achieve 3d feeling with a FF camera. FF gives me small advantages overall, thats why I want Pentax to make one.
That is most likely a reflection of the fact that APS-C is much more demanding on lenses then FF is, since essentially APS-C requires lenses to resolve the same details at less than one half the size.

03-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #399

APS-C produces better images on FF lenses because it uses the center of the lens, which is always sharper than the edges, which means it is less demanding than FF is with the same lenses.

Tom
03-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #400
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
APS-C produces better images on FF lenses because it uses the center of the lens, which is always sharper than the edges, which means it is less demanding than FF is with the same lenses.

Tom
Only with some lenses, and then only in the corners. The aps-c image is still magnified, and thus aps-c can be more demanding even in the center of the frame.

"FF = bad because some corners (which are not even present in the aps-c crop) might be softer than the cropped edges of the aps-c frame" is a silly argument against FF, really.

03-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #401
Pentaxian

Tom
Tom, sorry this just isn't the case although it's a common myth. APS-C is actually more demanding on lenses not less, it enlarges any faults. It's a bit counter intuative until you keep the same FOV and think about how the image has to be "projected" onto a sensor less than half the size.

EDIT: oops, jsherman999 got in first
03-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #402
Pentaxian

Tom
True to an extent, I think the argument is that as APS-C sensors increase in pixel density, that center area will need to hold up to higher scrutiny while still delivering a FF image circle, whereas an APS-C only lens doesn't have the same image circle restriction.

Of course FF sensors are increasing in pixel density as well, so in my opinion it's a wash either way, unless you're comparing a 24MP APS-C with a 24MP FF (which certainly could be reality soon).

Edit: hahaha, looks like we all jumped on this at the same time.
03-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #403
Pentaxian

APS-C produces better images on FF lenses because it uses the center of the lens
Everybody jumped on this. But it is a bit tricky to truely understand why it is false.

In LumoLabs -- Camera Equivalence -- Whitepaper §4.2.2 I study this question in more detail.

I come to the conclusion that center performance increases with sensor size s like ~s^(3/2) while it only increases like ~s^(1/2) in the corners.

Take these power laws with a grain of salt though. They're tentative only. But it still increases even in the corner. Well, until the diffraction limit is reached where sensor size then plays no role anymore (for equivalent lenses). And I agree, it is counter intuitive at first glance.
03-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #404
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Tom
...if you use the same FF lens that is.

Anyway, smaller sensors are more demanding on lenses than larger for a certain output size because the image has to be magnified more.
03-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #405
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Anyway, smaller sensors are more demanding on lenses than larger for a certain output size because the image has to be magnified more.
And I can prove it by showing a picture made with the same lens on my K-5 and Q.

I also noticed that some lenses which are regarded sub-par were performing wonderfully on my low-MP Canon 5D. Even the famous 58mm f/2 Takumar lens from 1958, not the sharpest of its kind, was a dream to use on the 5D: http://www.camerac.nl/foto/58mmTak/58mmtak-01-2.jpg

Ooohhhhh I have such a big desire for a FF made by Pentax! Finally no more mirror problems with any of my lenses. Finally a meaningful DOF scale on my lenses. Finally the right performance of my lenses