Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #541
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Re: the Canon old-school FF concept... won't happen. Too many electronic parts required to make a FF dSLR camera that small. (Or at least anytime in the near future.)

edit: actually clicked on the link and I see that it's mirrorless, not a dSLR... could happen. but I kinda doubt it'll look like that. the hotshoe-mounted "prism" EVF is a neat idea, though.
I actually still think it won't happen in that form, just doesn't seem to be canon's style to go retro

03-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #542
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
the hotshoe-mounted "prism" EVF is a neat idea, though.
It is. But I'd even more like to see an EVF where the (large 1 3/4") display is located where the focus screen was and a variation of LX-style viewfinders (no prism required because the image wouldn't be upside down) is offered.

With no VF (closing plate only) being one of the options to keep it most compact. And an adapter for telescope oculars (Pentax makes quite a few great ones like the wide angle viewfinder) being another option.
03-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #543
Veteran Member

Sorry if this question has already been asked / answered. Couldn't find it...

But does where does Ricoh get its sensors from for the GXR, GR, etc... ?
03-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #544
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
With no VF (closing plate only) being one of the options to keep it most compact.
When I read that I thought "that is!". They may have tested the field with K-01 to see if no-vf design is usable at all and then release a camera with switchable OVF/EVF/no-VF. This sounds as perfectly "unique" to me and in line with LX-D speculation. I think this have already been mentioned by someone but the realization came to me only now.

03-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disya2 Quote
switchable OVF/EVF/no-VF.
Just for the record, I didn't mention a switchable OVF option.

It would certainly be doable but only in a way as tedious as replacable focus screens are. Moreover, I suggested this for a mirrorless design and took advantage of the fact that the electronic image wouldn't be upside down.
03-23-2012, 03:00 AM   #546
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Sorry if this question has already been asked / answered. Couldn't find it...

But does where does Ricoh get its sensors from for the GXR, GR, etc... ?
Ricoh uses Sony sensors for the GR 3 & 4, The GRD's and a lot of their point & shoots.

Why wouldn't Pentax, with the backing of Ricoh, be able to get a somewhat lower volume of FF sensors? Ricoh is a enormous company, compared to Pentax. And Sony wouldn't only be selling to just Pentax any more.

And I'll say again, Ricoh's pockets are deep enough to sell at almost break-even for a while, just to enter the market. Actually, that's a tactic with which they are familiar. They sell their MFP's at rediculous low prices, the profit is in the supplies and/or the flatrate service-contracts.

By the way, I think it's only a matter of time before we will see the first PRIC photo-printers. Maybe even digital photoframes?
03-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #547
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
By the way, I think it's only a matter of time before we will see the first PRIC photo-printers. Maybe even digital photoframes?
That is an interesting market for Ricoh and logically to enter with the purchase of Pentax. But only in the segment A3+ sized printers and up (for industrial use). The home market isn't interesting at all.

03-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #548
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is an interesting market for Ricoh and logically to enter with the purchase of Pentax. But only in the segment A3+ sized printers and up (for industrial use). The home market isn't interesting at all.
Home printer business is a crazy market. anywhere under a 13x19 printer all companies pretty much give the printer away (through rebates and low prices) and then sell you ink for 5-10 times what it's worth

Not really an area i would recommend to Ricoh.
03-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #549
Veteran Member

That's what we would think.
03-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #550
Veteran Member

Our primary printer/scanner/copier/fax at work (in an office of ~30 people) is a Ricoh.
03-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
1. The same happened in the processor market. Did it make Intel processors any harder to design in? No! Sony literally tries to become the "Intel of Sensors". And Sony invests heavily towards this goal. I even imagine "Sony sensor inside" logos emerging This whole argument is easily turned against your way of thinking.
I 100% agree with this analogy. one caveat: Intel's main base for processors is business sales, not consumer. Camera sensors invert that dynamic, even for FF. The vast majority of Sony's sensors go into consumer items.
03-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #552
Veteran Member

Well Aristophenes it looks like perhaps you may be proven wrong come Photokina when it comes to a camera above apsc

From Angus on the K-Z thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/179741-pentax-k-z-13.html

QuoteQuote:
New rumour on German DSLR-site
Spekutatius ... au

Here it is stated that a dealer has made a slip of the tongue and said that there would be a K-5n soon (May 2012) with a tilting monitor as main improvement - then there is supposed to be a K-3 (summer 2012) as a follow-up to the K-5 with undisclosed improvements AND a K-1 at photokina rumoured as NOT to have an APS-C sensor!

According to the source printed material for the first two is already being distributed.

Perhaps somebody here has a contact who can confirm or deny this rumour - anyway, it's not April 1 today...

Angus
So we will see a K5N, a K3 and an unnamed top model at photokina that is not apsc (which doesn't really leave many options beyond apsh, FF or square sensor.)
03-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #553
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
So we will see a K5N, a K3 and an unnamed top model at photokina that is not apsc (which doesn't really leave many options beyond apsh, FF or square sensor.)
Large 4/3th is also an option.
03-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #554
Pentaxian

I vote for a big triangular sensor. That would be different
03-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #555
Pentaxian

Large 4/3th is also an option.
I guess 32x24 would be easier to implement with SR than 36x24!