Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #601
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
I just think if there was a FF camera then more people would come into the brand at Aps-c because there is an upgrade path open to them if they may want it in a few years. It also shows that Pentax is a committed brand- they can produce the high end products- and that will provide reassurance to the consumer that the product is high quality also. I suppose that the 645d does this already to a cirtain extent, but there is such a gap between the two price wise that people could just think they are completely devorced from each other.
A whole range of cameras would inspire more people into Pentax. If they release a FF then there will be a more complete line up than most of the other brands (obv minus the lenses etc but they would come in time)
The other key point with the 645D is that it has a different mount.

I suspect another thing holding Pentax back has been securing a FF sensor with a high enough resolution to allow for a decent DA lens crop mode. With so many dedicated APS-C lenses in order for the camera to actually act as an upgrade incentive they need to make using DA lenses on it as smooth as possible.

04-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #602
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I suspect another thing holding Pentax back has been securing a FF sensor with a high enough resolution to allow for a decent DA lens crop mode. With so many dedicated APS-C lenses in order for the camera to actually act as an upgrade incentive they need to make using DA lenses on it as smooth as possible.
I think this has been an important part of it (aside from Hoya's complete refusal to look at FF)

the advent of the 24mp Sony sensor that is going in the A99 solves that though (leaving a 12mp apsc crop which is quite acceptable) Odds are pretty good that 12mp crop will also be the best performing 12mp sensor in apsc since sensor tech has taken big jumps. Given the vast majority of people view almost all their pics on a monitor and if they print rarely get bigger than 13x19 12mp is also more than sufficient for those needs
04-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #603
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think this has been an important part of it (aside from Hoya's complete refusal to look at FF)

the advent of the 24mp Sony sensor that is going in the A99 solves that though (leaving a 12mp apsc crop which is quite acceptable) Odds are pretty good that 12mp crop will also be the best performing 12mp sensor in apsc since sensor tech has taken big jumps. Given the vast majority of people view almost all their pics on a monitor and if they print rarely get bigger than 13x19 12mp is also more than sufficient for those needs
Exactly. All DA lenses could operate at 12mp 1.5 crop mode but Pentax would do well to offer a variable crop mode for those, such as the DA 55, that can cover FF or close to FF. If they ever realised their hybrid OVF/EVF patent they could employ in-finder overlays very effectively in this context.

The question is whether Sony will give Pentax access to the sensor soon enough. Although Sony will of course want to make money by selling to Pentax this would have to be valued more highly than exclusive use by Sony.
04-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #604
Site Supporter

Given the vast majority of people view almost all their pics on a monitor and if they print rarely get bigger than 13x19 12mp is also more than sufficient for those needs
As long as you don't do a major image crop... Does any other camera manufacturer do this automatic FF to ASP-C crop BTW?

Regards,

04-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #605
Veteran Member

Nikon does it.
04-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #606
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Does any other camera manufacturer do this automatic FF to ASP-C crop BTW?
Nikon can automatically crop to DX with DX lenses. But they offer other crop modes too, like 1.2 and 5:4 image ratio.

Btw, an APSC crop out of 24MP is 10MP (10.4).
04-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #607
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Nikon can automatically crop to DX with DX lenses. But they offer other crop modes too, like 1.2 and 5:4 image ratio.

Btw, an APSC crop out of 24MP is 10MP (10.4).
10 mp is still enough for many uses though . and i would guess this new sensor cropped to the same mp as my K10 would vastly outperform the K10 at any iso above 400 (probably above 200)
04-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #608
Veteran Member

It would be like an APS-C chip designed the same as the larger, newer, chip. So it's as-close-to-definite as you can get that the cropped sensor would outperform the K10. From a technical standpoint it would almost certainly outperform the k5 for noise, too, both because the pixels are larger and the chip is a newer, presumably better, design.

04-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #609
Pentaxian

"Pentax Full Frame Dream Crushed Today"

The dream is now a joke.
04-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #610
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote

The dream is now a joke.
Que?

Wait for the fall.
04-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #611
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote

Wait for the fall.
As in the Rise and Fall of...?
04-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #612
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote

The dream is now a joke.
The "APS-C only" Pentax "strategy" has made the Pentax brand a joke, and it will continue to be a joke until the "dream" is a joke no longer.
04-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #613
Pentaxian

Oh really? Like Nikon was a joke until the D3. Oh they were not because they are Nikon, are they?
Things are a lot more complicated.

K-01 and Q are said to be so shi* here but Nikon 1 serie sells because what? it is good? Oh, wait... it is a Nikon so it's good isn' it?

Funniest is: my reatiler who is a traditional Pentax user and collector said he would NOT stock 3 K-01 because thoiat crap would never sell. Even Q made alot more sense. K-01 sold very quickly to a Canon 1D user. Q still waiting.
04-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #614
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Oh really? Like Nikon was a joke until the D3. Oh they were not because they are Nikon, are they?
Things are a lot more complicated.

K-01 and Q are said to be so shi* here but Nikon 1 serie sells because what? it is good? Oh, wait... it is a Nikon so it's good isn' it?

Funniest is: my reatiler who is a traditional Pentax user and collector said he would NOT stock 3 K-01 because thoiat crap would never sell. Even Q made alot more sense. K-01 sold very quickly to a Canon 1D user. Q still waiting.
the nikon 1 sells because of marketing. the panasonic lumix gf-3 is a better camera for almost all uses (besides moving subjects). it has a bigger sensor and faster smaller lenses. the GF-5 (out v.soon) should trounce the nikon j1. but because there is so much marketing behind the 1, it will probably sell more.

hense- marketing pays off

10 mp is still enough for many uses though . and i would guess this new sensor cropped to the same mp as my K10 would vastly outperform the K10 at any iso above 400 (probably above 200)
is there a new(ish) 24mp FF sony sensor that could be used then? i thought a large problem that people here were saying that pentax would have to overcome to make a FF would be finding a sensor?
if there is one then whats to stop them!?

.......besides all the other problems lol...
04-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #615
Veteran Member

well... at least Sony gets the new Tamron 24-70 2.8 DI VC USD, for their future FF. Note also that Sony get it without the VC to.