Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #931
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteQuote:
Source?
Canon's Management Discusses Q1 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha
QuoteQuote:
[...] Among this market environment, we achieved a nearly 30% increase in unit sales of SLR cameras reflecting strong sales of our entry level models, and strong demand for recently launched camera targeting advanced, amateur users. [...]

DSLRs vs. Mirrorless
DSLRs production beats mirrorless 5 to 1 in Q1 2012 according to CIPA - 1001 Noisy Cameras
QuoteQuote:
[...] DSLRs are outproducing/outshipping Mirrorless cameras by a near 5-to-1 margin in the first quarter of 2012 for the whole world. [...]

05-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #932
Banned

The markets are very different when I look at Japan, Europe or America's.
05-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #933
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The markets are very different when I look at Japan, Europe or America's.
The simplified overall chart shows greater dslr growth than mirrorless, but some of that will be sales recovery from the lost sales last year when there were production issues for many dslr due to the tsunami
the march PDF is very revealing. Aside from Japan mirrorless/RF/other ILC is not as big a factor. Europe is actually about 12-1 in the march numbers everywhere else is close to 5 to 1 except japan where it's more like 2.6 to 1

Don't get me wrong, i think the numbers milc/RF are shipping are pretty impressive given before the mirrorless lines there was only RF and then the number would have been more like 2000 to 1 and that's being generous

if you look back 6 years the number of any ILC shipping has grown massively . jan - march 2006 ilc shipped worldwide was 64.35 million. same window in 2012 sees just under 165 million total
05-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #934
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
..but P&S are outselling DSLR's probably 100:1 and it is this segment that experience decline due to mirrorless...

05-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #935
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
..but P&S are outselling DSLR's probably 100:1 and it is this segment that experience decline due to mirrorless...
actually no, jan - march #s built in lens shipments - 20799427 units versus 4127232 units ILC (All) - So about 5 times the number though in dollars it is about 26% more of the revenue. DSLR and MILC have both continued to grow at a good clip but the decline of P&S numbers has a lot more to do with camera phones than it does with MILC
05-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #936
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Canon have just reported a 30% DSLR sales increase. Most of this increase is due to strong entry level DSLR sales killing the myth that mirrorless is eroding entry level DSLR sales from below. Nikon is also selling all they can.
Cheaper FF, if it will happen, is just a further fragmentation of the digital camera market and won't change anything either; just give us more options.
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Source?
QuoteOriginally posted by canon:
Regarding our product portfolio, Canon offers a broad lineup of SLR cameras to meet the wide range of market need. This year, we are updating our lineup with a particular focus on higher-end segment. We have already announced new advanced amateur and professional level cameras. We will use our rich lineup to expand sales 27% to 9.2 million unit
So not only did they NOT report a 30% increase - instead they are anticipating a 27% increase - they also said specifically that they are focusing on higher end amateur and professional level cameras, rather than entry-level.
05-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #937
Pentaxian

Don't forget marketing BS is sometimes so huge in your face you can't beleive what you read is indeed BS.
For anyone in computer industry, Nvidia marketing BS and conference call is probably a reference of things to do (if you're are dishonest) are not to (if honesty means anything to you).

Problem is, financial analyst do NOT now about the business, but only about numbers. Basicaly, you can just sing the song you want them to hear. They're clueless enough.

05-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #938
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Don't forget marketing BS is sometimes so huge in your face you can't beleive what you read is indeed BS.
For anyone in computer industry, Nvidia marketing BS and conference call is probably a reference of things to do (if you're are dishonest) are not to (if honesty means anything to you).

Problem is, financial analyst do NOT now about the business, but only about numbers. Basicaly, you can just sing the song you want them to hear. They're clueless enough.
That's why you constantly see "analysts" predicting things like the iPhone Nano, 7" iPad, $799 Macbook, and Apple branded televisions.
05-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #939
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

Categoricall untrue: referring only to mediocre analysts.

Good analysts have worked in their covered industry and keep constantly current on industry events and trends through regular field contact - they're rarely "in the office." They either acquire financial skills (CFA) or have a team of junior skill partners. Good analysts write considered, supported OPINIONS based on personal observations. Mediocre analysts report what company management said on the conference call.

The trick is knowing which are the good analysts. They generally aren't employed by brokerages because brokerages don't pay the highest salaries.
05-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #940
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Good analysts have worked in their covered industry and keep constantly current on industry events and trends through regular field contact - they're rarely "in the office." They either acquire financial skills (CFA) or have a team of junior skill partners. Good analysts write considered, supported OPINIONS based on personal observations. Mediocre analysts report what company management said on the conference call.

The trick is knowing which are the good analysts. They generally aren't employed by brokerages because brokerages don't pay the highest salaries.
The mediocre (and just lazy) industry analysts outnumber the good ones. In a lot of cases, 'mediocre' is good enough - sometimes some basic grunt work is all that's needed in industries that are not that complex. The problems arise when that same approach is used in the more nuanced, complex and changing industries.

The same strata of abilty applies directly to internal accounting, internal financial analysis and how that applies to product planning, cooperative partner strategies and competitive strategies. If the wrong bean-counters get a hold of the reins too tightly in a company that exists in one of those nuanced industries, it can mean near-disaster. Look at Apple prior to Job's rise back from the ashes, look at Dell now. (And maybe consider: Pentax )

On the other hand, a company that tries to exist on vision alone and leaves the bean-counting and pragmatic analysis to the interns is usually going to be ending up in the dust-bin as well

Last edited by jsherman999; 05-11-2012 at 08:11 AM.
05-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #941
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Sure, sure but who cares about those doing their job correctly? Nobody cares
05-11-2012, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #942
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
No it won't, that was the point of him chosing lenses with equivalent focal lengths (very close at least). This thread is confused enough without getting the things I think everyone agrees on wrong. (I'm sure he thought it obvous the longer lens would be shot on the bigger format, as I do, but I suppose he should have said it. The internet is after all the perfect place for misunderstanding.)
I know I'm not confused about the difference. But my apologies if I've confused anyone else.
35mm equivalence in APS-C means little to me. Focal length is focal length and having FF is advantageous on a number of levels.

So, in the end, whilst it may not be absolutely necessary to have FF, it would be very nice to have. If it weren't so appealing to pros and enthusiasts alike, the 5D and D700/800 wouldn't have been as successful as they are. And after all, Pentax is already set up with awesome lenses ready to go on a FF camera. there are a number of users who were with Pentax and have kept their FA limited lenses despite switching systems altogether. That says something to me.

Pentax ought to produce a compact FF body to match the FA ltds.
01-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #943

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
If you want to use your old lenses then you should be looking at the Canons if you can't wait. Nikon can't accept the Pentax lenses without adding another piece of glass in the adapter
Heck they aren't even as compliant on their old glass as Pentax is
I love the idea of an uncrippled mount but can pretty much guarantee it will never happen
Ah so which cannon FF is compatible, and where can you buy PK to Cannon mount converters ?
01-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #944

found it
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Pentax-Canon-Mount-1000D/dp/B008H2I0P0/ref=s...7303212&sr=8-1
01-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #945
Pentaxian

Beware that you might need some surgery on some lenses of my memory doesn't leak to much