Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by admirer9 Quote
It is really sad to see Pentax always playing catch-up nowadays..... gone are the days of 70's and 80's when it was the leader!

D800 will make many Pentaxians jump to Nikon.
I have no desire to jump to Nikon even if the D800 is equipped with wings to fly... if they can create FF with k-5 format, I might have a look at it.

02-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I have no desire to jump to Nikon even if the D800 is equipped with wings to fly... if they can create FF with k-5 format, I might have a look at it.
to each it's own...the compactness and rugedness along with fine glass that ain't gonna break your neck is the plus for pentax...if i make enough dough i will probably have a travel/hiking/promenade camera aside of my workhorse that'll be a used k5 with a couple of WR lenses. On the other hand i want a "bulky" FF camera because some people assume that's the gear a pro ought to carry...once you make your own name and prestige you can ditch it if you find it to your liking and move to any brand/hardware type you like (providing you are able to pull the job with it).
02-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #243
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A FF camera doesn't have to be bulky or hefty. And not only will Pentax be working on such a prototype, it will have a competitive appeal that goes beyond functionality, as has been the case with just about all Pentax creations.
02-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A FF camera doesn't have to be bulky or hefty. And not only will Pentax be working on such a prototype, it will have a competitive appeal that goes beyond functionality, as has been the case with just about all Pentax creations.
Bulky and hefty are relative. Bigger OVF, bigger sensor, bigger mirror, and bigger PDAF sensor with AF points spread out farther. Do we want 2 SD card slots? Built in WiFi? Two image processors. How many FPS do we want? How big of a battery? How big of a buffer? A 24MP FF at 14-bit and 7 FPS will take some processing power and battery power. Do we remove the AA filter and add to the image processor work load?

What are we expecting from Pentax Unicorn?

02-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #245
Veteran Member

I was being sarcastic on admirer9's comment that the D800 will lure many seasoned photographers away from Pentax; it may be true.. but there are many of us who will look at FF with interest but not enough to jump ship. I am still a strong believer that it is the person behind the camera who makes the perfect shot, not the camera itself. However, if I get paid to get the photos, then it is really a matter which tool gets the job done.

Last edited by aleonx3; 02-25-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: quoted the wrong message
02-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was being sarcastic on admirer9's comment that the D800 will lure many seasoned photographers away from Pentax; it may be true.. but there are many of us who will look at FF with interest but not enough to jump ship. I am still a strong believer that it is the person behind the camera who makes the perfect shot, not the camera itself. However, if I get paid to get the photos, then it is really a matter which tool gets the job done.
I think many people (not me) will disagree with you. It is all about the sensor. The reason some of them suck so bad is strictly due to those dingy APS-C sensors that they were forced to buy because Pentax did not listen to their customers. It is death, or FF. That death of fields, I mean that depth of field is to die for. APS-C sensors are what prevented them from receiving Nobel prize in photography.
02-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #247
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I absolutely agree! I would also blame Pentax's lack of fast accurate AF for missing all those shots I never even took! But When I get a D800, I guess I'll only have myself to blame.. or the lens... YEAH THE LENS!

Last edited by Chex; 02-25-2012 at 10:30 PM.
02-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #248
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
YEAH THE LENS!
mmm..not if you get Pristine,sharp,heavy glass to go with the FF body
You'l definitely have to blame yourself
02-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #249
Veteran Member

I am still a strong believer that it is the person behind the camera who makes the perfect shot, not the camera itself. However, if I get paid to get the photos, then it is really a matter which tool gets the job done.
Very true. Getting a FF or MF camera will not make ME take any better pictures. It will take quite some time, before I outperform my K5, instead of the other way round. And I think that goes for 99% of the enthusiasts. If they admit it or not.
02-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #250

The camera doesn't make the perfect shot, but if the AF is as slow as the Pentax AF is, many of those possible perfect shots are missed when it won't lock on to the subject fast enough. I still have my Pentax gear, but I also have Nikon FF equipment and to be honest it is everything I always hoped the Pentax K5 would be, but just couldn't quite make it, especially when it comes to AF.

I am still waiting but am loosing hope with the latest models from Pentax being cute and trendy, but failing to address the real issue I have with Pentax, which by the way I have been shooting for over 40 years.

Tom
02-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #251
Inactive Account

I agree regarding the AF part.... My K-7 still outperforms me in a lot of ways, but it's AF does not... it sinks me. Never tried K-5 though....
02-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
My K-7 still outperforms me in a lot of ways, but it's AF does not... it sinks me. Never tried K-5 though....
You can manual focus faster then your camera can autofocus? Wow!
02-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Tell that to the DA 35 F2.4...

...which brings up a point, if it's DA - then the descriptions should match what DA lenses have been described in the past, no? Calling the 50 1.8 normal if the 35 F2.4 is also normal would be silly. So can anyone dig up the description of the 35 F2.4?
Rule number 345 in business, never confuse marketing with reality. Product names are marketing!

regards,
02-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #254
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
You can manual focus faster then your camera can autofocus? Wow!
Haha!
02-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #255

I've shot Pentax for over 40 years. Pentax has until June 2012 to announce an FF DSLR, otherwise I'll be switching to Nikon D800 or Canon (new generation).