Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #406
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
And I can prove it by showing a picture made with the same lens on my K-5 and Q.

I also noticed that some lenses which are regarded sub-par were performing wonderfully on my low-MP Canon 5D. Even the famous 58mm f/2 Takumar lens from 1958, not the sharpest of its kind, was a dream to use on the 5D: http://www.camerac.nl/foto/58mmTak/58mmtak-01-2.jpg

Ooohhhhh I have such a big desire for a FF made by Pentax! Finally no more mirror problems with any of my lenses. Finally a meaningful DOF scale on my lenses. Finally the right performance of my lenses
So I guess you want a FF in the 16-20 megapixel range and not in the 24-32 megapixel or even more?

03-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #407
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So I guess you want a FF in the 16-20 megapixel range and not in the 24-32 megapixel or even more?
I'd rather have less than more megapixels indeed, but in the end it does not really matter. The lens will always work better on FF than on APS-C for a given viewing size and viewing distance.
03-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #408
Veteran Member

The smaller the sensor (with the same number of pixels when compared to FF), the greater the resolving power of the lens needs to be to pull out the same detail. I would love a pentax 16mpx FF right about now as it would compliment my k-5s wonderfully.
03-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #409
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The smaller the sensor (with the same number of pixels when compared to FF), the greater the resolving power of the lens needs to be to pull out the same detail. I would love a pentax 16mpx FF right about now as it would compliment my k-5s wonderfully.
Not if I understood Falk correctly.
More Mpix will not get you less resolution. Worst case you won't gain anything. Best, you win some, or quite some (if the lens is good enough).

Of course if along the day you look at your pics a pixel level, but what would be the point ?

03-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #410
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's for Mpix...the thing is that we're talking about different formats. For the same Crop (lets say a face, same equiv field of view) the Apsc will be more demanding than the FF, you will need more resolving power to get the same details of the face using an Apsc than a FF camera, that's why Apsc demand more from lenses than FF.... If you compare the same format then what you say about Mpix is entirely true.
03-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #411

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That D800e looks so inviting. I wish Pentax would make a 24mp ff or higher. They could make the perfect landscape system at an affordable price. I'd die for one $2200. More if they could completely revamp the af, exp
osure and flash abilities.
03-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #412
Veteran Member

Just before Photokina 2010, I wrote on my blog that Pentax has to announce a FF camera then and release before Photokina 2012. I said that's their only window of opportunity and it will be closing in 2012.

And now it IS closing. IMHO, further FF talk has no point. Even if Ricoh would now understand that the K mount is a FF mount, it is too late.

If you want to resent why I feel that way, I refer to the following 20min interview:

-> http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/videos/reviews/532147/a-month-with-the-niko...andenburg.html

Jim Brandenburg worked with the D800 for a month -- LAST SUMMER! He describes how the camera changed the way he perceives photography. And it won't happen with APSC.

By the time Pentax releases a FF camera, everybody interested in FF will already own one.

03-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #413
Veteran Member

Are we all there is, hereafter? :)

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
By the time Pentax releases a FF camera, everybody interested in FF will already own one.
What about the people who become interested in 2012, 2013, or 2014, 2015, 2018? As far as I know, the world is still producing these little larval forms called kids, and some of these kids buy entry-level DSLRs at some point, and then eventually get the upgrade bug.... same as always!

Also, I think that most of the folks who bought the K-x in 2010 for example are probably still in the upgrade chain, and there are a lot of folks with a substantial K-mount investment who just are not interested in moving to CaNikon - but would consider a Pentax FF body.

I seem to remember some "it's too late, everyone's left for CaNikon already" talk back in 2008... No, personally I think it's still going to happen for Pentax. They will lose upgrade dollars until they finally pull the trigger, though, and with each release iteration see that season's particular gap-filling opportunity pass.

Last edited by jsherman999; 03-17-2012 at 09:27 AM.
03-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #414
Pentaxian

That is not true of course. New people are born every day. We might as well stop building cars or whatever, everyone who wants a car has bought one by the end of 2012.

Edit, while I wrote that jsherman999 posted pretty much the same thing.
03-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #415
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
the world is still producing these little larval forms called kids
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
New people are born every day.

I don't want to sound too negative. So, let me say, theoretically, you're correct. It's just my gut feeling tells me otherwise.
03-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #416
Banned

Just before Photokina 2010, I wrote on my blog that Pentax has to announce a FF camera then and release before Photokina 2012. I said that's their only window of opportunity and it will be closing in 2012.
O my god! It's too late now. I will go out and get drunk. Sipping Guinness on St. Patricks Day to save this doomsday
03-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #417

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cheers!
03-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #418

Well that takes me aback.

When Falconeye posts something you like, everybody is cheering at him...

When he is talking about his feelings regarding Pentax FF and that i might be too late everybody starts making fun of him....

I am quite sure that he will not have any problems with that, but i think thats quite rude.

And the "population" (eg. the "kids or "larvae") will move inside their Camera Brands, so Pentax has a harder time aquiring new customers by a FF-release.
03-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #419
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
Well that takes me aback.

When Falconeye posts something you like, everybody is cheering at him...

When he is talking about his feelings regarding Pentax FF and that i might be too late everybody starts making fun of him....

I am quite sure that he will not have any problems with that, but i think thats quite rude.

I don't see anyone making fun of anyone in this thread, certainly not making fun of Falk. I actually think he's correct in one important way - the current crop of Pentax-owning FF-wanters is going to be decimated a bit by the D800 and 5D-III, and by the D700/D700s lower-priced options that will be appearing. But there's always renewal! The world just tends to keep producing good consumers.

QuoteQuote:
And the "population" (eg. the "kids or "larvae") will move inside their Camera Brands, so Pentax has a harder time aquiring new customers by a FF-release.
Keep in mind that the 'larvae' moving up from Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, Fuji, or Pentax are not locked into a Canon/Nikon/Sony mount in any way.

03-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #420
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
O my god! It's too late now. I will go out and get drunk. Sipping Guinness on St. Patricks Day to save this doomsday
For some reason I though St Patrick's day was an Ireland/USA thing only - nice to see the green beer knows no borders