Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #781
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to say, Im very pumped about the D600!!

04-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #782
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
+1

Already made my move a month ago, im excited!!!

Just cant let go of this Forum I love PF
04-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #783
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Yes but lenses are only 1/2 the story.
As are bodies, as is APS-C itself. Besides, road maps are a dodgy business, often more honoured in the breach.

Last edited by mecrox; 04-26-2012 at 12:27 AM.
04-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #784
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Pentax was quite clear about the direction they're going. 8 new K-mount lenses in 2 years, remember?
Show me the advertising and marketing campaign which makes that clear to an end-user and which means they are laying down the money. I'm not singling out Pentax, but doing stuff is what counts not talking about it. In the case of Pentax, in the recent interview with their marketing guy he said Pentax was about exploiting niches and opportunities not occupied by others. A downside of that is avoiding committing yourself to anything. Niche A this time, niche B next time is not a strategy and I don't think it gives folks much idea of where an outfit is really coming from.

04-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #785
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 on that one. I consider FF Nikon an inevitability for me unless Pentax pulls a very shiny rabbit out of their hat before I scrounge together the funds. I will be very keen to see just what the D600 ends up being (or D400, or D500 or whatever they end up calling it).
04-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #786
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Show me the advertising and marketing campaign which makes that clear to an end-user and which means they are laying down the money. I'm not singling out Pentax, but doing stuff is what counts not talking about it. In the case of Pentax, in the recent interview with their marketing guy he said Pentax was about exploiting niches and opportunities not occupied by others. A downside of that is avoiding committing yourself to anything. Niche A this time, niche B next time is not a strategy and I don't think it gives folks much idea of where an outfit is really coming from.
It's not my job to do it, and besides what is important is to know they're laying down the money in real products, not in advertising and marketing campaigns.
A roadmap is a promise of real products. A marketing campaign, empty words (unless it's the "Just hold a Pentax" old slogan )
I don't know where you're getting that "avoiding committing yourself to anything" - which is the opposite of what they're doing.
04-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #787
Veteran Member

Well said.

04-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #788
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Indeed.

And Pentax has a habit of not following through it's roadmaps even close to on time. We've been waiting for the telephoto for years, ditto the teleconvertor. The 30mm lens *eventually* turned into the 35mm 2.4. The 60-250mm was months late etc etc.

Quite frankly lens road maps mean pretty much nothing and at best are misleading or confusing to the consumer, which is precisely why Hoya stopped doing them. Although actually they stopped doing them because it looked bad when they inevitably failed to deliver something 'promised' on the roadmap.
04-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #789
Pentaxian

Yes, Pentax, in the midst of cost cutting, R&D personnel forced into retirement but still being asked to increase the profit margins, being prepared to be sold - they weren't able to deliver everything on the roadmap, and in time.
04-26-2012, 01:33 AM   #790
Veteran Member

It'd be nice they included camera bodies on their road maps though.. may not be smart business practice but at least the punters would have more than a clue to go by.
04-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #791
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Of course. And of course Nikon just announced their entry-ish level camera has the Pentax 'flagship' sensor! Eek!
Well this is nothing new for the camera business. Look at Canon and their 18mp sensor, it goes into very different camera's. Some of the specs of a camera make also a difference. At this time there are no "bad" sensors for aps-c or FF in production. One can not expect that the number of different sensors will grow enourmos since the technology is to expensive. Differences in bit-rate, fps and AA filters make them apart. The camera's are making a difference in speed of image building, AF and some other futures like moviemode.

I think that a 24 mp sensor would be great for a first Pentax FF. If it is the sensor from D3x or a further development from that sensor then I couldn't think of a reason why that wouldn't make a great camera.

I hope it does 6 fps and has a new and very good AF-system.
04-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #792
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
and very good AF-system.
If Pentax does bring out a FF , its AF system will be very poor at tracking.
04-26-2012, 03:21 AM   #793
Inactive Account

If Pentax does bring out a FF , its AF system will be very poor at tracking.
The hard core Pentaxians will forgive that, after all the moaning and complaining.
But its not the best for Pentax imho... They'd better concentrate on flash system and AF. Practice that on the lower segment and then unleash it on the top segment.
04-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #794
Veteran Member

I think AF is a good part of the reason I just switched to Nikon (D800 on the way ... sometime soon ...). I was getting pretty frustrated with the K-5. I would hate to see a FF Pentax with the same problems.
04-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #795
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AF would be more forgivable if at least the MF would be great, but the DA lenses really aren't very great at that, either, and the focus confirm is sometimes off. So yes, AF should be fixed. I just hope Pentax didn't solely concentrate on FF (due to all the whinging about it) and drop the ball on all the other aspects.