Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #796

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't the D800 have auto focus issues?

04-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #797
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, Pentax, in the midst of cost cutting, R&D personnel forced into retirement but still being asked to increase the profit margins, being prepared to be sold - they weren't able to deliver everything on the roadmap, and in time.
I'm not blaming Pentax I'm just saying that, for the reasons you actually list, roadmaps are at best indicative of the desires of the company. They aren't a commitment to anything.
04-26-2012, 05:43 AM   #798
Veteran Member

Nikon seems to have decided this is the year they will take down Canon for supremacy and return to the film days dominance. I have to say they so far are doing a hell of a good job of it too. It doesn't hurt that the best sensors on the market are going to Nikon (and of course into Pentax and Sony models) Canon sensor supremacy died when the K5 came out, and was confirmed in the new models this year. If Pentax wants to move up they will have to be very sharp in the next 2 years (and Sony will as well if they want to hold on to their share)
I think the D600 will drop at 2200 (where the D700 is now) but I would bet it's down to $2000 within a year. So this round of enthusiast apsc is the last that will be able to launch in the $1500 range, and they will need to be $1200 or less in future (wholly doable IMO)
the next 12 months or so will be very interesting indeed
One thing is certain Pentax will release a FF this fall, using the same sensor as the D600 and A99 would be my bet. Some of the tech hurdles in producing the sensors more cost effectively must have been overcome by Sony - so more troubles for Canon if they haven't managed the same)
04-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #799
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I'm not blaming Pentax I'm just saying that, for the reasons you actually list, roadmaps are at best indicative of the desires of the company. They aren't a commitment to anything.
The point is that hoya basically killed the existing roadmaps as part of the cost cutting. That is why items are taking so long to show. I would think Ricoh has no intention of following the same path, So roadmap lenses should become reality within the windows that were on the map (and there may well be more in the form of FF lenses they didn't map in order to keep the lid on the FF direction)

Given the rumours swirling on 4 dslr bodies this year I would think the lenses will come as well. They need to have the biggest presence they have had at a photokina in eons IMO. The only way to steal some of the Nikon thunder this year will be go big or go home. Apparently they want to triple the camera sales over the next year so Go Big it is

04-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
FF will eat up the "pro" APS-C segment, the $1,500-$2,000 MSRP segment, not the volume models like the rebel and D3200/D5100 end. That end of the segment is being eaten by m4/3s. NEX & Fuji.
Wheres the data for this? The entry level DSLR's sells in quantities larger than ever....
Top of the line Canon and Nikon APS cameras outsell their FF counterparts with significant margins.
04-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #801
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Nikon seems to have decided this is the year they will take down Canon for supremacy and return to the film days dominance. by )
Nikon never had a dominance ower Canon in the film days unless we go back more than 40 years. Canon have outsold Nikon since 1976 at least. Before then Nikon was outsold by Pentax, Canon and Minolta. By 1981 Pentax had sold 10 000 000 SLR's. Nikon wasn't even close...
04-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #802
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only way to steal some of the Nikon thunder this year will be go big or go home. Apparently they want to triple the camera sales over the next year so Go Big it is
They want to compete with Canon and take market share. Nikon is an entirely different story. They want to be the solid #3, well ahead of Sony. They will offer a credible pro system in 2013 (though perhaps not, at first, for action/reportage).

04-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #803
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Nikon never had a dominance ower Canon in the film days unless we go back more than 40 years. Canon have outsold Nikon since 1976 at least. Before then Nikon was outsold by Pentax, Canon and Minolta. By 1981 Pentax had sold 10 000 000 SLR's. Nikon wasn't even close...
overall share (including P&S) canon may well have dominated Nikon, but Nikon dominated from the late 7-0's until the beginning of the AF era if we stick to SLR. and in the 90s it flip flopped. Canon took crushing share in the digital age they were just faster to market with technology for the first 6 years.
I would bet this year Nikon dominates sales provided they can ge enough sensors to meet the demand. the D3200 is definitely poised to own the warehouse/big box environment of stack em high and watch em fly. Entry level warehouse customers will see 24MP and just buy it because of that
D800 has already completely commanded the FF market and the D4 has done well at the top. Canon hasn't even shipped on the top yet. It's really Nikon's year to win. Pentax can gain share if the models are the right mix (a Pentax FF need not be as crippled as the D600 may be because there is no upper model to protect)
one thing is for certain it looks like it will be the best year for choice in some time
04-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #804
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Wheres the data for this? The entry level DSLR's sells in quantities larger than ever....
Top of the line Canon and Nikon APS cameras outsell their FF counterparts with significant margins.
From the information I have been able to source, for every FF camera sold about 35 APS-C or m43 cameras are sold.
04-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #805
Veteran Member

Since hearing the rumors of the Nikon D600 I'm starting for the first time to think that a FF Pentax might be a reality this year. Because if there will be an "entry level" FF by Nikon, that means that there's a cheaper (Sony) FF sensor and all the related bells and whistles available. So the flagship Pentax would be like the entry level Nikon with some Pentaxisms added (WR, smaller size, worse AF, silly colors).
04-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #806
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

overall share (including P&S) canon may well have dominated Nikon, but Nikon dominated from the late 7-0's until the beginning of the AF era if we stick to SLR. and in the 90s it flip flopped.
I'm talking SLR's only. In the latter half of the 70's Pentax, Canon and Minolta otsold Nikon by a significant margin. Nikon was a maker of crude and conservative (but solid) SLR's that was behind even Topcon and Miranda technically. Until 1977 you had to put the lens on F:5.6 in order to mount it on a camera! They were later with electronics as well. It wasn't until 1979 than Nikon got their first volume model; the EM. It was still outsold by Canon, Pentax and Minolta. In the 80's Canon was undisputable No. 1 in volume only threatened by Minolta in 1985. What Nikon had was a grip on the pro market but that eroded in the AF era.
04-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #807
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Since hearing the rumors of the Nikon D600 I'm starting for the first time to think that a FF Pentax might be a reality this year. Because if there will be an "entry level" FF by Nikon, that means that there's a cheaper (Sony) FF sensor and all the related bells and whistles available. So the flagship Pentax would be like the entry level Nikon with some Pentaxisms added (WR, smaller size, worse AF, silly colors).

It is very likely indeed. However, entry level means entry level FF; not entry level camera. The Canon 5D is an entry level FF camera.
04-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #808
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They want to compete with Canon and take market share. Nikon is an entirely different story. They want to be the solid #3, well ahead of Sony. They will offer a credible pro system in 2013 (though perhaps not, at first, for action/reportage).
I agree on what their target is, my point was really that this year Nikon seems to be going all out so to get attention in the environment Pentax will have to be very sharp. It was already shaping up to be an interesting year with the rumour of 4 Pentax SLR bodies (when is the last time they had that many new model SLR on the market - Sometime in the late 90's?? certainly never since the advent of digital. the most in the pre hoya era was 3 was it not?
add in the MILCs and the 645D and it ends up looking like a very impressive line, certainly big enough to compete more head to head with the big 3 and steal share from Canon and Sony provided the marketing is good
04-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #809
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
If Pentax does bring out a FF , its AF system will be very poor at tracking.
It doesn't need to be. An updated or replaced SAFOX with more dedicated processing, more & smaller AF sensors, and more cross-type would make the AF system take a big jump up. It's just funding --> engineering in the end.
04-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #810
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
Doesn't the D800 have auto focus issues?
It does appear that some batches did have an issue with the AF points on the left side, yes. No indication yet how widespread it was, and no official word from Nikon. At any rate it's a QC issue with some batches and would result in a free replacement or repair (Nikon has started that process with no quibbles.).