Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
My hope would be the 36MP used in the D800. It's clearly the best sensor on the planet at this moment.
But it's quite demanding on lenses. Are we sure any of the very few existing FF Pentax lenses actually on sale have enough QI for that sensor?

06-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
But it's quite demanding on lenses. Are we sure any of the very few existing FF Pentax lenses actually on sale have enough QI for that sensor?
Is this speculation or are you going to provide us with a few links on this issue? Start perhaps with a list of Nikon lenses that aren't good enough for the D800. I'm sure from that would could find enough people with experience with both systems to hazard a guess as to which if any Pentax FF lenses might not measure up.

Looks to me like many lenses available from Pentax will do just fine. I actually have the DA35 2.4, the FA 50 1.8 and the Tamron 90 in my bag right now. I'm sure those will work just fine with a Pentax FF. I'm sure the 100 macro will as will the FA 77 and FA 43. If you go to Sigma and Tamron you'll end up with a lot more.

My guess , based on the number of lenses in the low end range that are no longer available is that any of the FA lenses that won't survive in the digital world have already been eliminated from the line up and whatever FAs are still manufactured or FA*s you can locate will do. I base that on what I've seen on the net with reference to the Tamron 90 and the D800.

Essentially the D800 is the same pixel count as a K-5. If will work on a K-5, it will work on a 36 Mp FF, as long as it covers the larger sensor, ie an FA or a lens like the DA 35 2.4 that is essentially a copy of an FA design, redone for digital.

Last edited by normhead; 06-18-2012 at 10:21 AM.
06-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Is this speculation or are you going to provide us with a few links on this issue? Start perhaps with a list of Nikon lenses that aren't good enough for the D800. I'm sure from that would could find enough people with experience with both systems to hazard a guess as to which if any Pentax FF lenses might not measure up.

Looks to me like many lenses available from Pentax will do just fine. I actually have the DA35 2.4, the FA 50 1.8 and the Tamron 90 in my bag right now. I'm sure those will work just fine with a Pentax FF. I'm sure the 100 macro will as will the FA 77 and FA 43. If you go to Sigma and Tamron you'll end up with a lot more.

My guess , based on the number of lenses in the low end range that are no longer available is that any or FA lenses that won't survive in the digital world have already been eliminated from the line up and whatever FAs are still manufactured or FA*s you can locate will do. I base that on what I've seen on the net with reference to the Tamron 90 and the D800.

Essentially the D800 is the same pixel count as a D800. If will work on a K-5, it will work on a 36 Mp FF, as long as it covers the frame, ie an FA or a lens like the DA 35 2.4 that is essentially a copy of an FA design.
The DA 35 2.4 actually covers the FF circle norm so should be shootable on FF
06-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #169

Just give us FF, da*55 will hold positions until reinforcements arrive.

06-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #170

or SDM brokes
06-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

My guess , based on the number of lenses in the low end range that are no longer available is that any of the FA lenses that won't survive in the digital world have already been eliminated from the line up and whatever FAs are still manufactured or FA*s you can locate will do. I base that on what I've seen on the net with reference to the Tamron 90 and the D800.

Essentially the D800 is the same pixel count as a K-5. If will work on a K-5, it will work on a 36 Mp FF, as long as it covers the larger sensor, ie an FA or a lens like the DA 35 2.4 that is essentially a copy of an FA design, redone for digital.
Well summarized.

06-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #172
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I guess that on the safe side a 24 megapixel sensor would be better for us.

06-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Something to keep in mind, and this sometimes flies in the face of 'conventional wisdom', but:

Regarding resolution, all your lenses will perform better on a higher-MP sensor than they did on a lower-MP sensor.

The quality of the lens determines if they will perform a lot better (maximizing the sensor potential) or just a little better (leaving some resolution on the table.)

Now, when you pixel-peep, you may notice softness problems at some apertures and some parts of the frame that you didn't notice before - but that's just because the lower-MP sensor completely hid that information before. Those lenses didn't 'do better' with the lower-MP sensor, the lower-MP sensor just hid the problems better. It's important to remember that the MTF charts you see on photozone, etc are system MTF scores; lens + sensor. You keep the lens the same, but bump up the sensor, and your system MTF score goes up.

What this means is that you will never see worse resolution at the same display sizes with the higher-MP sensor, and you will usually see better resolution, even after a downsample, even taking diffraction into account.

You shouldn't fear the MP! (and your lenses shouldn't either. )

(Having said the above, I fully expect Pentax to update some existing lenses, because they will be able to re-sell them to existing users - and they will be able to make the lenses perform better.)

Last edited by jsherman999; 06-18-2012 at 12:00 PM.
06-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barbarosa Quote
Just give us FF, da*55 will hold positions until reinforcements arrive.
There's 35+ FF K-mount lenses for sale now. Improving the resolution of the lenses is pretty darn low on my priority list for most of the lenses - I'd rather have better bokeh, "better AF", quick shift on FA limited, etc.
06-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
There's 35+ FF K-mount lenses for sale now. Improving the resolution of the lenses is pretty darn low on my priority list for most of the lenses - I'd rather have better bokeh, "better AF", quick shift on FA limited, etc.
Regarding lenses, SDM replacement with fast, accurate, dependable ring motor is priority #1, IMO.
06-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #176

Before i start investing again i would like to see Pentax to start with some well thought out tactics and roadmaps regarding lenses. Exspecially some fast und very good Zooms would be highly appreciated...
Dont care about FF or APS-C new lenses are required....
06-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #177
Pentaxian

You mean, like this? http://www.pentax.jp/english/products/lens/K_Mount_Lens.pdf
Happy investing
06-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
Before i start investing again i would like to see Pentax to start with some well thought out tactics and roadmaps regarding lenses. Exspecially some fast und very good Zooms would be highly appreciated...
Dont care about FF or APS-C new lenses are required....
I would give Ricoh a little more time. As far as I can tell, they have pretty much green-lighted most existing projects, but it does take awhile to put into place new projects.

Looks as though under Hoya, anything expensive or risky was side-lined. Whereas now, there are a lot more options.

I doubt that Pentax will make any announcements about full frame lenses until they officially announce development of a full frame camera.
06-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #179

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
All of that is DA*55
06-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #180

Well... there is something on the roadmap, just 2013 or beyond, lets wait till something materilizes