Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #691
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We will have no further personal attacks in this thread, or it will close and infractions will be issued.
Back to topic please.
Pentax FF - coming? yes. When? Unsure... how long's a piece of string.
But it will be a welcome addition to the lineup.

07-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #692
Veteran Member

The word Emacs is the name an old Text Editor.
The Avatar just looks like a nice letter 'E' to me.

People here need to try and make things less personal and stop laughing at comments no matter how strange they may appear to one's self. Anyone who's not prepared to be diplomatic should rethink how successful that attitude is unless their real intent is to cause conflict, rather than communicate in a meaningful way. In case of the latter, I'd say they should leave the forum willingly or not.
07-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #693
Veteran Member

I wasn't aiming my comments specifically at you. ;-)
07-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #694
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
My friend has a 7D, and the AF points and grid being on a transparent LCD is pretty damn inspired. Now imagine overlaying whatever you want in one, Histograms, custom focus points, focus-peaking live in the viewfinder... The future is gonna be cool!
I almost forgot about AF points in the VF lol, got used too much on my K-x's somewhat empty screen. =)) Well, if that could be done... but I guess it will make the VF hump significantly bigger

07-31-2012, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #695
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd rather have an EVF over the crappy OVFs we have nowadays.

Even the VF on high-end cameras like the K-5 is a joke compared to the VF I have in my Pentax ME (which was an entry level SLR, not to mention it's like half the size and FULL FRAME). Dammit, I would only shoot film if that was an option just to have full frame and a VF that doesn't suck.
07-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #696
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I'd rather have an EVF over the crappy OVFs we have nowadays.

Even the VF on high-end cameras like the K-5 is a joke compared to the VF I have in my Pentax ME (which was an entry level SLR, not to mention it's like half the size and FULL FRAME). Dammit, I would only shoot film if that was an option just to have full frame and a VF that doesn't suck.
Interesting. I only have experience with the k5, kx and D800 ovf. The D800 trouces the apsc ovf. No contest there. Any idea how would the Pentax ME compare to the D800?
07-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #697
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Interesting. I only have experience with the k5, kx and D800 ovf. The D800 trouces the apsc ovf. No contest there. Any idea how would the Pentax ME compare to the D800?
I believe it's near, but ME had a big VF even for 35mm standards. And it's a fraction the size of a D800...

07-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #698
gtl
Veteran Member

Well can't really compare film to digital slrs I guess. Still hoping for a compact FF from
Pentax next year!
07-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #699
Veteran Member

The D800 viewfinder is about 70% of the ME viewfinder.
07-31-2012, 11:28 PM - 2 Likes   #700
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Well can't really compare film to digital slrs I guess. Still hoping for a compact FF from
Pentax next year!
If Pentax had a clue, they would've released a digital K1000 (full frame, roughly same size and VF) and called it a day. With all these great K-mount lenses floating around since day one it amazes me they went so deep on the DA line. Bonus points if they styled it like the old one, retro is a trend.

Instead they just throw their brand and legacy out of the window and try to reinvent the wheel on each camera they release.
07-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #701
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
If Pentax had a clue, they would've released a digital K1000 (full frame, roughly same size and VF) and called it a day. With all these great K-mount lenses floating around since day one it amazes me they went so deep on the DA line. Bonus points if they styled it like the old one, retro is a trend.

Instead they just throw their brand and legacy out of the window and try to reinvent the wheel on each camera they release.
Now I wouldn't call Pentax's outstanding backwards compatibily "throwing their legacy out of the window."

But I totally agree with you on the first part. They could have released a barebone FF years ago. A little FF DSLR that doesn't even have SR or WR. Just to make the user-base happy, test the FF waters, and to capture that part of the market before others do. If they made it small and affordable enough it could be a gigantic hit.

But the culture in Japan is very different. Having a high quantity of features is very important there. The camera that I proposed sounds rediculous to them.
08-01-2012, 03:58 AM   #702
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
What I'd like to know about this Emacs guy is why his avatar looks exactly like a Nazi party flag
That's why emacs is on my ignore list. I feel personally offended. Long ago, I kindly asked emacs to change his avatar and I reported his avatar to Adam and I am actually rather shocked that he did not act at all. And I am sure emacs does exactly intend to provoque the kind of reaction he gets. IMHO, he deserves to be banned immediately and w/o further notice.
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
People here need to try and make things less personal
Not when it comes to racism or people obviously sympathizing with it or their symbols. Over here in Germany, we received an education to never ever again let it happen. No space for tolerance here. We even have laws which would apply here ...

But as such discussions heat up quickly and emacs is on my ignore list anyway, this is going to be my only comment on the matter.

Last edited by falconeye; 08-01-2012 at 04:04 AM.
08-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #703
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I still don't understand the reason 10% of Pentax shooters want a FF DSLR. I know Pentax dosen't know either. And that's why they are in no hurry to build one, it just isn't worth there time and money.
What is the big advantage? Wider field of view? I just back up and get the same shot as my K1000 or I change lenses. What else is better?
08-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I still don't understand the reason 10% of Pentax shooters want a FF DSLR. I know Pentax dosen't know either. And that's why they are in no hurry to build one, it just isn't worth there time and money.
What is the big advantage? Wider field of view? I just back up and get the same shot as my K1000 or I change lenses. What else is better?
Just back up and get the same perspective doesn't always work. in close quarters it can be impossible, and with landscapes just back up may mean moving a mile or more and other items become an issue.
DOF is another. effectively you cannot buy something that replicates even the most basic fast 50 F1.4 on FF (or for that matter an F2 50mm) at least in the pentax line

there is no fast portrait lens like an 85 1.4 (the 55 1.4 is close but still not the same DOF

There is no apsc with the VF of a FF either

there are loads of reasons for wanting one, and no really good reason for opposing one IMO It's not like they will drop apsc in favour of FF, it's an alernative that is needed if Ricoh wants to be a player, plain and simple. If they want to remain a niche brand then No FF a good start.
08-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #705
Pentaxian

Eddie, I basically agree with you, but the ff advantages are hyped out of proportions in these threads. When I actually used my LX with the M-50/1.7, I stopped down to at least 2.8 most of the time - because the crazy thin DoF is something you only rarely really want.

If I only had my K-5 with the DA35 ltd instead when the kids were small...