Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 04:03 AM   #736
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

*snip*

If low-end DSLR is encroached by very good MILC or even very good fixed-lens compacts with largish sensors, and upper-end DSLR is encroached by $1600 FF bodies, Pentax-Ricoh may not even want to continue with K-mount if they have no FF body. Many folks who would buy a lot of the lenses would have left for low-end FF or upper-end MILC.

A FF body would mean more K-mount sales for Ricoh, which would mean that K--mount continues to get investment. Even if you have no intention of buying a FF Pentax body, and you plan to stick with aps-c K-mount, you should hope Ricoh brings a FF body out.
I don't buy either of these arguments. I'm not sure that a $1600 FF body from another manufacturer (is there such a thing? I honestly don't know) would significantly dent high end ASPC sales. In addition Pentax actually has it's own MILC bodies and one of them is a K mount.

As to a FF body meaning more K mount sales for PRIC, I would say that a less expensive ASPC with improved AF and flash would provide more sales than a more expensive FF body.

Finally, given the QC problems with the K-5 (it's too early to tell if the K-30 has the same problems) if Pentax launches a FF with similar problems, and QC problems are more likely with the completely new body/sensor that a FF would entail, the chances are that a flawed FF would do much more damage to PRIC than if it never appeared.

NaCl(but as my dad used to say "we'll see" )H2O

08-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #737
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
There's too much other stuff going on at the moment. The transition period wasn't easy. I'd be really surprised if they have one ready for photokina.
Hoya was tough to work under. If they've worked on FF back then, it was only a small team, and not full time.
Well, if they don't have one ready for photokina, they'll lose (what I hear from my fellow K5 owners) customers (again, and this time lots of them) to Nikon (D600) and Canon (D7markII or D6). Even if this means selling all Pentax glass and investing in new glass.
08-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #738

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
Well, if they don't have one ready for photokina, they'll lose (what I hear from my fellow K5 owners) customers (again, and this time lots of them) to Nikon (D600) and Canon (D7markII or D6). Even if this means selling all Pentax glass and investing in new glass.
Which is fine by many of us, if it means a flood of K mount glass hitting the market -- prices will drop, and those of us content with APS-C will be able to pick up some nice lenses with a little less outlay than it runs at the moment.
08-02-2012, 05:19 AM - 3 Likes   #739
Veteran Member

Just curious, and please be honest - are you guys that do not want Pentax offering a FF the same people that for ~10 years ago wanted Pentax to stick with film bodies?

08-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #740
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

50 pages? Pleeeeeease! This isn't a full on rumor thread until 100 pages.
08-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #741
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
There'll always be people who do unreasonable things.
What would you want, a rushed FF body that has lots of problems or one that's well designed and tested?
What will be better for market share? Sure, let's rush it. So those people who consider switching to Canon or Nikon have even more reason to do so. Because a rushed body will stink.

I don't care for those people.
08-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #742
Veteran Member

so, after 50 pages, what are the overall conclusion of this ?

(appart, some of you want a FF )

08-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #743
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
so, after 50 pages, what are the overall conclusion of this ?

(appart, some of you want a FF )
OVF is good but better on FF
If we don't get it some people will bail for Canikon
Others will hold their breath and stamp their feet
08-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #744
Forum Member

There'll always be people who do unreasonable things.
What would you want, a rushed FF body that has lots of problems or one that's well designed and tested?
What will be better for market share? Sure, let's rush it. So those people who consider switching to Canon or Nikon have even more reason to do so. Because a rushed body will stink.

I don't care for those people.
I don't think a switch would be that unreasonable.
I want to buy 2 more lenses and keep on waiting for months now because I would really regret having bought DA lenses when Pentax comes with a FF.
Pentax should at least comes with an FF roadmap and even when they do, if Canon and Nikon release their affordable FFs now, people won't ignore the offer (and right they are).
I don't think Pentax can keep it's customers (at least the advanced amateur part of their customers) happy with just an APS-C offering.
If they lose time, they'll lose customers.
08-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Just curious, and please be honest - are you guys that do not want Pentax offering a FF the same people that for ~10 years ago wanted Pentax to stick with film bodies?
I think those who oppose full frame Pentax are worried that it will "kill the brand." It's just hard to read the market. While people have been predicting the death of APS-C for a long time, it sure seems pretty strong right and if anything, growing. If Pentax could come out with a D800 sensored camera that was a little smaller and had SR, not sure how well it would really sell versus Nikon models.

I am totally fine with Pentax coming out with a full frame offering, but we need to be clear that for 90 to 95 percent of photos, there is going to be minimal improvement/difference with one format versus the other.
08-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #746
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
While people have been predicting the death of APS-C for a long time, it sure seems pretty strong right and if anything, growing.
It's hard to cram more pixels on APS-C efficiently, FF still has some space left.
Right now, Pentax needs one thing: affordable entry level. Around 350$ street price including a kit.
This market sector is huge and will certainly be APS-C for quite some time.
08-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #747
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Speaking only for myself, I'm not exactly against a Pentax FF, but I think that improved predictive (and static!) AF is more important, along with improved flash, better QA on bodies especially, and improved SDM. Not to mention a decent WA prime that is WR, a new AF TC, a longer (180mm would be ideal) macro, etc etc.

NaCl(not against FF but R&D money could be better spent elsewhere)H2O
08-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #748
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Even if Pentax does announce a FF shortly I doubt the production has been rushed. Was the 645D rushed? Pentax has been working on development of a FF (MZ-D...K-1) a lot longer than the 645D. I agree with you though if they don't adequately test this camera it could make a lot of people upset, although the reports show the K-5 was a success, even with all the bugs. So I'll still be looking forward to buying the K-1, K2-D or LX-D or whatever they call it.
08-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #749
Pentaxian

It's hard to cram more pixels on APS-C efficiently, FF still has some space left.
Right now, Pentax needs one thing: affordable entry level. Around 350$ street price including a kit.
This market sector is huge and will certainly be APS-C for quite some time.
I agere that an entry model is even more urgent than FF. But they need a new 645d too!
08-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #750
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I agere that an entry model is even more urgent than FF. But they need a new 645d too!
the new entry will come at the photokina i bet.

right now they just wait for the last K-r and K5 to be sold to show up something really new (albeit the K30 seems a super good move from Pentax, like the K5 was.)