Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #931

Photos: Albums
All these discussions are based around the current sensors continuing with the same technology.

Soon large sensors may not be required.

Check this InVisage

08-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #932
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
All these discussions are based around the current sensors continuing with the same technology.

Check this InVisage
Sheesh!
Talk about busting my fantasies

How long before we see this tech. coming to market?
08-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #933
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
There are so many crap comparisons that it is beyond belief. The 645D does not beat this.
That is a very good comparison of you. I'm now convinced the d800 is the better camera.
08-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #934
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Sheesh! Talk about busting my fantasies How long before we see this tech. coming to market?
I can imagine this in a 645 successor. Oh, the possibilities.
This will also mean another competitor against Sigma's Foveon... poor Sigma...

08-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #935
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote

Check this InVisage
That sounds great. Is it already technology or just wishes?
08-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #936
Veteran Member

Based on the size of the Sony DSC-RX100 (1" sensor with 20.9MP) I'll suggest here that within 2 years we will see APS-C cameras with 40+mp and FF up to 100MP.
08-29-2012, 03:21 AM   #937
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
If we saw it, Pentax must have

That's a good one

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Tell me more!
I'm about to pull the trigger on a D800 kit.
FYI. There are rumors that Nikon has halted the production of D800/E in order to fix the accuracy problems with the AF fields outside the 21 fields central region. If true, it may be a good idea to wait for fresh stock. However, I have no dates or serial# for you and Nikon says they will fix any camera anyway. There's just doubt that the fix will bring the AF on par.

08-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #938
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I have not upgraded my computer yet, and dealing with the D800 files is a PITA, frankly. Drains some of the fun out of PP. (I expect that situation to remedy itself when I do upgrade, though.)
Wait, there's fun in post production?! I certainly didn't get that memo.
08-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #939
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Wait, there's fun in post production?! I certainly didn't get that memo.
I think he meant post processing.
That being said, I thought everyone loved post processing?
In fact, I'd go as far as saying that the best part about photography is developing the images.
08-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #940
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Production/processing, I use the two interchangeably, probably shouldn't. Anyway, it's awful, PP hasn't been fun since the switch to digital. That's why I do everything in manual - metering, white balance, lighting, focus - so that each frame can be processed with the same settings and I don't have to sit there doing 8 hours of post processing for a one hour shoot. If my camera could only shoot in 5:4.... My entire workflow is built around the concept of absolute minimal PP.
08-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #941
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Production/processing, I use the two interchangeably, probably shouldn't. Anyway, it's awful, PP hasn't been fun since the switch to digital. That's why I do everything in manual - metering, white balance, lighting, focus - so that each frame can be processed with the same settings and I don't have to sit there doing 8 hours of post processing for a one hour shoot. If my camera could only shoot in 5:4.... My entire workflow is built around the concept of absolute minimal PP.
Hmmm... I'm guessing there are varying views on what is meant by post processing. ie. one could look at digital image development from two different perspectives: 1) developing RAW images: such as you yourself described. 2) image enhancement: dragan effects, BW conversions, high and low key images, film modes etc. Though for the most part, I'd say post processing involves goes beyond the call of the initial development stages. ie. retouching and edits, digital correction and so on and so forth. - IOW. all the fun stuff

Needless to say, I truly enjoy post processing.
And coming to think of it, I actually enjoy developing RAW files also.
Not so much in terms of repetition, but with things like tweaking profiles so to continuously improve final output. Not to mention the wonders of seeing how files respond to the massive improvements in demosaic engines that have been made over the years. I mean... how fun is that!
I mean just thinking about it, makes me want to fire up RawTherapee and run some of files thought it.

Then again... maybe I'm just a little weird when it comes to that kind of stuff, I donno.

Last edited by JohnBee; 08-29-2012 at 06:50 AM.
08-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #942
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
And no camera makes you a better photographer.

The 77 is a special lens, but I'm not sure how colors and contrast from the D800 or any modern DSLR could be considered 'flat'. Maybe your software wasn't picking up the camera profile and everything was presented at baseline/neutral? Anyway, contrast/color should not be a worry...
I dont disagree with this - but i had the same view : straight out of camera the D800 is flat. Compared to K5 straight out of camera. In fact, compared to its own preview, lol. I had a model last week whose pictures were awesome in the preview - and she looked wider in the files. I had to compare it side by side, computer screen to camera preview. The shadow levels were distinctly more neutral - and made her look wide on the computer. Just a little extra tweaking in camera raw, every time. Luckily, the dynamic range is so flexible i can pull highlights from one end to another without making it greyish, and the same thing with shadows.

And while the D800 didnt make me a better photographer - i took the same image quality as i had before, it sure made me feel better about myself. The fast AF means taking more picture, faster, and I dont get this frozen smile when the models look at me uncertainly and wondered whether I know what I am doing as I tell them to hold still for my K5 to lock focus. So to other people, it looks like I am a better photographer.

Thats kind of important - as the rest of the shoot depends on how confident they are of me. (Same thing as showing models the image after the shot - so that she sees the result and go...woah. Thats good. i want more of that. )
08-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #943
Veteran Member

Personal preferences vary, and that's a good thing too. For me developing my digital images is probably even more fun that the snapping of the images itself.
08-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #944

talking about new technologies - anyone here care to speculate on the new silicon/gold lens technology (Harvard makes distortion-free lens from gold and silicon, aims for the perfect image (or signal) -- Engadget) that apparently makes glass lenses obsolete - no distortions - super thin - hear one site saying that you will get the same level of performance from a smart phone sized camera as a typical dslr today - i find this hard to believe - surely you will still need the large sensor for dof effects? thats ignouring the dynamic range and high iso benefits of large sensors
08-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #945

I agree