Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #1036
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Hand held 500mm.. that's an acheivement! BR straps are pretty good and save the neck from certain destruction for sure.
Yesterday that strap saved US$8,000 worth of camera & lens from certain destruction up on a ver stony hill ! I always attach the BR to the camera and slip it on when I have any camera/lens on the Wimberley copy on a monopod as insurance - yesterday the monopod top sheared off with the extra weight (it's used to a K5/DA*300/copy Wimberley combo) and the BR saved the day

I didn't miss SR at all (thought I would) due to being able to shoot at 1/1000 - 1/1600 and at higher ISOs than usual.

09-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #1037
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Yesterday that strap saved US$8,000 worth of camera & lens from certain destruction up on a ver stony hill ! I always attach the BR to the camera and slip it on when I have any camera/lens on the Wimberley copy on a monopod as insurance - yesterday the monopod top sheared off with the extra weight (it's used to a K5/DA*300/copy Wimberley combo) and the BR saved the day

I didn't miss SR at all (thought I would) due to being able to shoot at 1/1000 - 1/1600 and at higher ISOs than usual.
Yes EEK is definitely the word. I have been leaving my strap at home of late but I now see the error of my ways.
09-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #1038
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax have scheduled 14 lenses for release from now and out next year (with reservation of delays). Still, thats a hell of a release schedule and none of the lenses are FF
Thank you for stating this, but also noting - you are not the first person to state something along those lines... But by chance would you happen to have any further specifics - literally anything. Because I'm also wondering a bit weather to purchase three new lens' or perhaps somehow postone it all until a possible new one i released.

Thank-you
09-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #1039
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
True, but I doubt a Pentax FF camera anytime soon. I suspect that soon after Ricoh takeover the decision was made that Pentax should stay with APS and use extra resources on MF Digital. There are several signs for this.
Apart from the above, Pentax have scheduled 14 lenses for release from now and out next year (with reservation of delays). Still, thats a hell of a release schedule and none of the lenses are FF. It could be that the roadmap is totally fake to confuse us and/or that Pentax will release a fleet of FF lenses in addition to the above, but I find that very unlikely. In fact, that roadmap show a clear direction in my opinion.
Time will tell....
The only one on that chart that's been released so far is the DA 50 f/1.8, which is a full frame lens.

0/1.

09-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #1040
Veteran Member

Yes EEK is definitely the word. I have been leaving my strap at home of late but I now see the error of my ways.
Redundancy is the Word. *taps nose in secretive fashion*
09-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #1041
Veteran Member

You might want to look at my signature as I already own a D800E

Until I get to see what comes out of Photokina I am reserving the right to keep my Pentax gear (albeit not much of it and for a limited time) until I can buy another Nikon body and a telephoto with VR. The Pentax K-5 and FA*300 offer SR at the moment and that helps, although I would prefer a 400 on my Nikon.

That Sigma Zoom is not all that good from what I've seen of it. The D800E would certainly test it around the edges, not to mention it overlaps with my 70-200 F2.8 VR II. I am already considering a 300 and/or a 1.4x TC for the Nikon though.
Yep, I knew you had the D800E. My point was more general.

I'm surprised to hear you say you don't think the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 is all that good. Michael Reichmann at LL seems to be in love with that lens. Some comments in his D800 review here:

Nikon D800 / E Initial Impressions

Some discussion here as well:

Sigma 120-300 OS & 2TC

Seems to play well with the Sigma 2X converter.

Good luck with your choice anyway...
09-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #1042
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hand held 500mm.. that's an acheivement! BR straps are pretty good and save the neck from certain destruction for sure.
I handhold my Canon 500/4L all the time, it really is not that much of an accomplishment if you use decent technique.