Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Me too, there is no doubt in my mind that there will be a new fullframe by March 2023, 24 Mpx sensor for really cheap.
yayaya
2023? That sounds about right.

06-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
to clarify the rumor, it is actually from a pentax sales insider, not retail sales. thats what i heard afa i can tell
06-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
But then... wouldn't there be only ONE thread left here???
Is more than one NEWS+RUMOR thread even needed?
06-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yen800 Quote
wow... I actually know where this rumor comes from!!!
Can yo confirm where it sits on the plausibility scale?

EDIT- sorry, missed your last post! Thanks.

I guess it looks about 60% plausible? The idea of a small upmarket Pentax FF, as an FAltd trio partner, seems about right. It wouldn't smash the FF market but would make sense as a product 'for the discerning photographer'. Three perfect little lenses ready to go, and a (probably) FF general purpose zoom on the drawing board. All the DA primes over 40mm are also full frame compatible (even the 40mm is borderline compatible).

Last edited by ihasa; 06-15-2012 at 09:47 AM.
06-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
they will do it sooner or later

Pentax will go to full frame sooner or later.
They think as much as they did before moving to the era of digital cameras.
it is better to do it now not tomorrow.
06-15-2012, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Can yo confirm where it sits on the plausibility scale?

EDIT- sorry, missed your last post! Thanks.

I guess it looks about 60% plausible? The idea of a small upmarket Pentax FF, as an FAltd trio partner, seems about right. It wouldn't smash the FF market but would make sense as a product 'for the discerning photographer'. Three perfect little lenses ready to go, and a (probably) FF general purpose zoom on the drawing board. All the DA primes over 40mm are also full frame compatible (even the 40mm is borderline compatible).
sure, it is an insider news/rumor directly from pentax distributor, but I will only take it as 30% real. The sensor is being used by Sony themselves first is an agreement that they want to decrease the initial cost of sensor. So pentax only get sensors when sony is able to meet the manufacturing demand and taking the market that they should have. However, if you read the SAR as well, you will notice they are talking about the a99 doesn't have mirror up mode. It is due to the large mirror degrade the border and extreme like crazy, so they are trying to minimize the degradation effect by not having a mirror up mode. (not sure if it makes sense though, to me it is less mechanical parts, easier to manufacture, higher QC/QA points and control) So if Sony delays the roll out of a99, the pentax ff comes later as well.

One good news is that, the sensor/processor will be calibrated to match the 3 FA lense which is currently still in production (not the early lead version, so those will all be AIV), and some other lens will be renamed while new lense will be rolled out. I do have a list of FF supported lense list which I think may have a chance to rename in the future

Other than that, the body is the smallest full frame, vertical grip option, new flash, WR body, 2 colors, comes with 2 different packages (with/without lense) in limited case. (as for lense I have heard it is going to be a prime... although it will be nice to have the DA*...)

These are only what I HEARD, not what I can confirm though

Last edited by yen800; 06-15-2012 at 10:42 AM.
06-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Pentax plans to make one, I do hope they will before Canikon furthers the gap....

06-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #38

you are correct Alizarine, but will ricoh invest on FF that much to get sony sensor asap? I don't think so.... and I heard K-5 successor is currently placed on hold too...
06-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is 100% that Pentax is working or has in the wings an FF camera system.

That's a no-brainer.

The whole thing has always hinged on the availability/affordability of the right sensor. These days it pretty much must come from Sony.

It has long been suspected that Nikon has such purchasing power with Sony Industrial that they get FF sensors first at volume pricing. Sony HQ understands that they need those revenues and profits and Nikon is a sure partner.

Pentax gets product offerings later, if at all, but now it sounds like Sony is opening up its distribution in a controlled manner. Getting too tied to Nikon is a hazard in itself, so having Pentax around keeps the market more honest while diversifying revenue streams.
06-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #40

Aristophanes, I 100% agree with you, but without further confirmation I will only take it as 30% real, do pentax have a ff camera under development? yes they do. will they release it in bulk? that remains to be the question. performance wise, it is faster than any pentax camera as of now.
06-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there is no doubt that Pentax will eventually come out with full frame. My guess was announcement at Photokina this year and release in spring of next year. Pentax has had full frame designs for ten years that have been waiting for the right sensor/situation. Not sure if the folks at Ricoh are ready to green light such a project, but it certainly seems more likely than under the heavy hands of Hoya.
06-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #42
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jk333 Quote
What lens will the FF come with? There has to be a standard zoom. I agree its coming, but not before they make a normal zoom for it.
I don't care if Pentax comes out with a FF K-mount body without any new lenses since I have enough FF K-mount lenses to keep me happy for a long time. Standard zoom ? My 28-300mm Tamron will start at a wide angle 28mm instead of 42mm on APS-C.

Last edited by jogiba; 06-15-2012 at 12:00 PM.
06-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Et Tu, Aristophanes?

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
It is 100% that Pentax is working or has in the wings an FF camera system.

That's a no-brainer.

The whole thing has always hinged on the availability/affordability of the right sensor. These days it pretty much must come from Sony.

It has long been suspected that Nikon has such purchasing power with Sony Industrial that they get FF sensors first at volume pricing. Sony HQ understands that they need those revenues and profits and Nikon is a sure partner.

Pentax gets product offerings later, if at all, but now it sounds like Sony is opening up its distribution in a controlled manner. Getting too tied to Nikon is a hazard in itself, so having Pentax around keeps the market more honest while diversifying revenue streams.
Seems just a little bit ago you were arguing that this simply couldn't happen, because it would p*ss off Sony Semiconductor's best customer, Nikon, and that the Pentax-ricoh share of the market would be far too small to make it worthwhile.

Oh, also that there was no existing or emerging market that would make this a sound business decision for Pentax-Ricoh anyway.

Oh, and that a small-bodied FF camera is a pipe-dream, or too expensive, and not worth chasing.

(feel free to now refute your past refutations )

QuoteQuote:
...but now it sounds like Sony is opening up its distribution in a controlled manner. Getting too tied to Nikon is a hazard in itself, so having Pentax around keeps the market more honest while diversifying revenue streams....
...As I and others predicted would happen.

(BTW, I disagree that Sony Semiconductor is truly the only game in town - strong rumours that Nikon is also playing big with Aptina, now.)

Last edited by jsherman999; 06-15-2012 at 01:33 PM.
06-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #44
Banned

I hope they are smart and bring two FF camera's. A K-5 styled DSLR and a K-01 styled mirrorless with both carrying the same sensor. Once they purchase the sensor and make the firmware they can serve two different markets with it.
06-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #45
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I hope they are smart and bring two FF camera's. A K-5 styled DSLR and a K-01 styled mirrorless with both carrying the same sensor. Once they purchase the sensor and make the firmware they can serve two different markets with it.
a k-01 styled FF would definitely turn heads! i think a gxr module is more likely in the mirrorless department.