Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well we all are rumouring about a new Full Frame DSLR coming from Pentax. It will be cheap and small and we all gonna love (or hate) it. Once Pentax starts to buy that Sony sensor Full Frame with 24 megapixel, it is very easy to use it in a second mirrorless camera. To make it different from all other camera's and make it different from Pentax's own full frame dslr they could make it in the form of the K-01. A very capable camera with lots of futures, only different from what a lot of traditional photographers are used to.
From the Kawauchi interview in February:

QuoteQuote:
Q: At CES, John Carlson of Pentax USA hinted that Pentax may be working on a mirrorless full-frame camera. Can you say anything about that?

A: That was a dream expressed to the media by our developer of what Pentax could achieve, regardless of whether it's under development or not. I think it is an interesting idea. As the planning person, that is not under our current development roadmap.

06-16-2012, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep dreaming boys.
06-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #108
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Ron, while I appreciate that you're earnestly trying to differentiate the mirrorless and SLR FF lines, I think your K-11 concept needs to make a few more concessions towards enthusiast shooters, primarily in the form of a 2nd dial, 14-bit RAW, and much faster FPS.

Add an articulated screen, and this would almost certainly tempt some people to switch to Pentax, and thereby grow the brand.
While these things don't coast a lot (a second dial for one dollar, 14-bit is free coming from 12-bit and the faster framerate is probably a future incorporated in the sensor while an articulated screen can't be that expensive), they do make the camera very much more expensive. When you want a faster framerate (like in RAW 5 fps), then you need a bigger buffer (especially with 14-bit RAW) and coming with that you need more then just a single PRIME M engine (unless you want to wait forever, 4 times more calculating work and 8 times more data to write to the card so maybe you like a second cardslot) and because of the hi framerate you want a more expensive shutter (200k actuations instead of 100k) and because the camera is getting expensive you like it maybe from magnesium alloy instead off a steal frame and have wheatersealings aswell. All possible, but not for the cheap camera that a mirrorless K-11 would be. That more expensice camera would be the DSLR K-1!

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I go away for 4 days and suddenly we are approaching the singularity.
Did you asked permission to leave the basecamp for such a long period?

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
From the Kawauchi interview in February:
Well that isn't so far away, since you basicly have everything needed for a real launch!

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Keep dreaming boys.
This statement is one and only that keeps us alive!
06-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
And why is that? The AF? The responsiveness?
Yes, Yes and Yes. Its a pro body. Plain and simple. For years I've been reading about how Pentax has better build quality and so on but to be honest...those bodies didn't feel cheaply built at all. They felt like a pro body should. The AF system and burst rate of the 1D from Canon and the 3Ds from Nikon was mind blowing. And that is their old technology. When its paired with continuous AF tracking its heaven. There'd be no reason for me to buy a FF Pentax with the 4D and new 1Dx on the market. Pentax dropped the ball. Don't get me wrong, I'll keep my K5 and the lenses as a second system but its "prosumer" equipment vs pro equipment. just my opinion though.There is nothing wrong with Pentax as a company.

06-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
There's over 35 FF lenses on the market right now, and probably more (40mm, 50mm 1.8, 35mm 2.4, etc).
Does anyone think the eventual Pentax full frame will include an option that allows for using DA lenses?

Last edited by les3547; 06-16-2012 at 09:58 AM.
06-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
Its a pro body. Plain and simple.
Well wait, of course a camera that weighs twice as much, is bigger, has massive lenses, and costs three times as much should be better in some, if not all, respects. But at that point its like comparing a racing car with a top of the line regular car. The question is what you get for your money and how much of your needs it covers. I mean, there are cameras better than the Canikons, but they cost even more and have even more specific uses, thus becoming expensive and useless for most of us. I have practically no use for a $40000+ Hasselblad and would have to save up for a very long time to afford one. I can get another camera at the fraction of a cost that will be much better for my overall use. But hey, I am glad that you get paid for shots that require things only some high-end cameras have. Or at least have the money to buy expensive toys.
06-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pro model? Since when Pentax became a brand of choice for the pros?

06-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #113
Banned

Yes, Yes and Yes. Its a pro body. Plain and simple. The AF system and burst rate of the 1D from Canon and the 3Ds from Nikon was mind blowing. There'd be no reason for me to buy a FF Pentax with the 4D and new 1Dx on the market. Pentax dropped the ball.
Well I handled both camera's and they are great. It is a market that is not a target for Pentax (in the past or near future). So they didn't dropp the ball, they didn't entered that market. They do need a smarter AF system, but all at a good given time. These excellent camera's (1Div and D3s) do make things easy, but there are more options to make that single one shot you are looking for.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
That is why Pentax should bring a Full Frame camera to the prosumer or enthousiast market and not direct it to the professional market.

06-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Pro" is an old distinction in a market largely driven by prosumers.

FF will have "pro" pricing, regardless. And for those prices, you better put in all-"pro" features.
06-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #115
Veteran Member

I'm looking at it from this perspective, If you need a FF camera, your getting paid to take photo's. If you're getting paid to take photo's, why would you want an inferior product than your competitors? Personally, I like the massive body and lenses. Even the K5 is massive if I'm considering taking a G11 to just get some snapshots. Which coincidentally produces pretty good results. Which leads me back to my original statement. If I'm going to go FF, even if Pentax makes one, I probably won't buy it. I HOPE to be proven wrong because for $3500 bucks I'd rather buy the new Mark 5ii vs a $2400 Pentax.
06-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is why Pentax should bring a Full Frame camera to the prosumer or enthousiast market and not direct it to the professional market.
I agree. But, Pentax users are a bit of a goofy crowd. They want pro spec FF model at a cost of an entry model. Wait, I think that only applies around here perhaps.
06-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Let me clarify this before it gets any deeper. I like my Pentax system and I'm not trying to make it a Canon vs Pentax thread. I'm just trying to drive home the point that for 2500 bucks, a prosumer might not pull the trigger. AND if they did why not spend 1000 more for a better platform. It would cost literally one days shooting if your actually getting paid for your work. That's nothing.
06-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #118
Veteran Member

I'm looking at it from this perspective, If you need a FF camera, your getting paid to take photo's.
need is such a subjective word... do we 'need' APS-C cameras? Why does a 'pro' *need* a FF camera? Why doesn't a 'pro' *need* a medium format camera?

Personally I like FF cameras because I *want* better pictures, and I want better pictures, and I want to be able to use cheaper/lighter lenses with better results.
06-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #119
Banned

Let me clarify this before it gets any deeper. I like my Pentax system and I'm not trying to make it a Canon vs Pentax thread. I'm just trying to drive home the point that for 2500 bucks, a prosumer might not pull the trigger. AND if they did why not spend 1000 more for a better platform. It would cost literally one days shooting if your actually getting paid for your work. That's nothing.
Well maybe also depending on the market you'r working on. Overhere prices for pictures (sports, since we are talking about the sportscamera) are rather low at the time and even decreasing over time. I know some pro-sportsphotographers who have to save money and probably can't order there new D4 or 1Dx this year, while that was no problem yet when the D3s came to the market. Don't forget that a lot of the pro-shooters are asking Canon/Nikon for a smaller system, but not getting it. Maybe that is because the new camera's are full with options and thus can't get really smaller. Maybe they are just catched in a system, where they want small, but need all the futures and want to pay big to be different from the amateur shooters that deliver pictures to newspapers for almost nothing (happy to be in the paper).
06-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #120
Banned

I agree. But, Pentax users are a bit of a goofy crowd. They want pro spec FF model at a cost of an entry model. Wait, I think that only applies around here perhaps.
Well I included a onboard flash for the K-11

O and please refer to it as K - one - one and not as a plain K-eleven, it's an expression of my creativity ROTFLMPO