Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #136
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DISCLAIMER: Any similarity between reality and anything RiceLow says is pure coincidence.

06-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #137

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Don't forget the Q2. :-)
that would be slightly different imo, q already got its exterior set but base on the k-30, seems like k-5 exterior will be modified quite abit, and FF got all the creativity going on...
06-17-2012, 03:53 AM   #138
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by yen800 Quote
that would be slightly different imo, q already got its exterior set but base on the k-30, seems like k-5 exterior will be modified quite abit, and FF got all the creativity going on...
Well I hope they keep the K-5 housing for another year with an update for aps-c and put their energy in a new FF camera.
06-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #139

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I hope they keep the K-5 housing for another year with an update for aps-c and put their energy in a new FF camera.
thats what all we ff hoper wants

06-17-2012, 04:39 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is easy to begin with one ff lens like 24-70 then 70-200.
lenses is not a big issue since pentax is lenses maker. the main issue is the time.
if they intend to bring a ff they have to do it now.they made every mounts/almost/ from Q TO MF.

Last edited by zmohie; 06-17-2012 at 05:02 AM.
06-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Getting too tied to Nikon is a hazard in itself, so having Pentax around keeps the market more honest while diversifying revenue streams.
Why are you now saying that"getting too tied to Nikon" is a hazard? Previously, you argued that Sony must play according to Nikon rules and that selling sensors to Pentax would not be in their interest. I never bought your "Sony is Nikon's slave" story, but I wonder why you are changing your story now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
What I consistently said was that Sony locked down its sensors with Nikon.
Yes, previously you said "Nikon forbids Sony to sell sensors to Pentax". Now you are saying "Sensor price is the only problem". In your response to Jay, you do not answer his question. You do not answer why suddenly the (alleged) sensor lock down with Nikon is not a problem anymore.
06-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
DISCLAIMER: Any similarity between reality and anything RiceLow says is pure coincidence.
I would not want to disagree with a moderator, but RiceHigh is not always wrong, and even though he may not be reliable, his posts usually have at least a small degree of truth.

--DragonLord

06-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #143
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Ya, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.
06-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Why are you now saying that"getting too tied to Nikon" is a hazard? Previously, you argued that Sony must play according to Nikon rules and that selling sensors to Pentax would not be in their interest. I never bought your "Sony is Nikon's slave" story, but I wonder why you are changing your story now.

Yes, previously you said "Nikon forbids Sony to sell sensors to Pentax". Now you are saying "Sensor price is the only problem". In your response to Jay, you do not answer his question. You do not answer why suddenly the (alleged) sensor lock down with Nikon is not a problem anymore.
I never said that Sony "must" play by Nikon's rules. That is not how business procurement works.

Just because you decisively lost an argument in another thread does not mean you should put words into other people's mouths with silly hyperbole like "Sony is Nikon's slave". Get a grip.

Licensing and procurement often requires volume and exclusion constraints. They are very common. When Sony dropped its own FF production (publicly) and Nikon ramped their FF releases up at very high rice points (D3), it was obvious Sony was relying on Nikon to make the market and return Sony Industrial the necessary revenues. Sony cameras was losing money and their sensor division was making it. So much so that Sony even re-purchased from Toshiba a fab they'd only previously rid themselves of 4 years earlier.

Right now any Pentax FF is a rumour, but not Nikon. We know that Nikon gets FF sensors and has input into Sony's foundry operations making them. As FF chugs along, Nikon is in less and less of a position to demand supplier lock-in. One reason may be the persistent rumours that Leica is looking to Sony as well for FF product. Not to mention Sony itself.

The one thing Sony probably wants to avoid is a price war, so it is in Sony;s best interests to control against FF sensors being a commodity. They do that through limited release, queuing, and extra margin, amongst a variety of tactics.

I always said two things and I still say them because their are Commerce 101:

1) It's largely about the sensor price. No one wants a low price FF sensor, certainly not Sony.

2) Pentax has a very small market share and high price cameras have very little unit sales despite all the big talk. So Pentax needs to get the price of FF down to a certain break point and then slowly make their way.

The biggest issue is lenses. Not FF camera bodies. I have consistently maintained Pentax has a FF skunkworks on the go, all the time waiting for the sensor price cost curve to make sense. The D600 and that 24MP sensor may do the trick. Right now we are in rumour phase with some solid Nikon stats. If the Pentax rumour about a 6 month wait until after the Sony A99 is true, then a mid- to late-2013 limited FF run is possible. Maybe. Given the weak demand everywhere in the world economy, I am still more inclined to say 2014 for Pentax.
06-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #145

FF in 2013. It would be nice, but I won't trust RH one bit.

If it's true he's a Pentax hater (and IMHO you must have LOTS of time to waste to be one), who could have more fun than him with messing around with Pentax communities over the world with "big" rumors and announcements.
06-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #146
Banned

Pentax Full Frame testunits!

This is from hearsay, so don't point at me when it's not true. Pentax is working on a Full Frame dslr and almost at the point where some testcamera's would be ready!
06-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
Let me clarify this before it gets any deeper. I like my Pentax system and I'm not trying to make it a Canon vs Pentax thread. I'm just trying to drive home the point that for 2500 bucks, a prosumer might not pull the trigger. AND if they did why not spend 1000 more for a better platform. It would cost literally one days shooting if your actually getting paid for your work. That's nothing.
For a 'connoisseur' photography enthusiast, $2500 might not be that big of a deal, especially alongside the outlay for the FA ltd trio. I wouldn't imagine such a camera taking on the big two, but I'm sure it would find its way into a few enthusiasts camera bags, who yearn for a proper 'classic' SLR but with the convenience of digital capture (and without the annoyance of a 1.5x crop factor, or distinctly un-classic EVF a-la the Olympus OM-D).
06-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #148
Pentaxian

To me it was obvious a long time ago that a full frame Pentax must be coming and for the last six month it became obvious that Pentax needs to deliver at photokina. Even without any rumor - full frame is the future for all 35mm based systems. A working electronic viewfinder would be nice. This is not a rumor or a statement this is obvious.Pentax is bascillay the last bigger brand not having a full frame camera in line although the whole system is based on older full frame lens mounts.
Why disucss prices and feature or even compare to other rumored cameras? Pointless dicussion, just good to know that seomthing is happening. Pentax needs to presnet a couple new lenses, not just a body.
06-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Migno Quote
FF in 2013.
Pentax FF by 2020 anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Pentax is bascillay the last bigger brand not having a full frame camera in line...
IIRC Panasonic and Samsung and even Olympus all have greater camera sales than Pentax and none seem to have FF in line. Pentax has the 645D which no other mass maker can approach. Yes, would be nice if Pentax had a full line: Q-APS-FF-MF :but even without FF, this smokes all other makers' offerings.
06-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #150
Pentaxian

If you count compacts, yes; but for real cameras, I doubt Samsung is even close (do they even have a real camera? ).