Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #211
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Williunck Quote
OK just to be devils advocate - who needs a 36 MP image size?
Other then food and beer, I find it hard to recall the last time I bought something I actually needed. I would want 36mp 'cause it is better then 24mp. If I am going to pay for something else to play with - might as well be the best it can be - at least if its still at a somewhat reasonable price.

Now having to purchase more PC power to process all this largeness - THAT is annoying.

06-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #212
Inactive Account

I think that 24 would be enough. Don't see me needing more. At least not any time soon. How many lenses are still sharp at 36?
06-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Exactly. They were meant to be used with a camera having a large, bright optical viewfinder. Oh wait, were you talking about FOV?
A viewfinder the size of the one in the MX or ME Super inside this fabled new FF DSLR? Do want.
06-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
I think that 24 would be enough. Don't see me needing more. At least not any time soon. How many lenses are still sharp at 36?
How many lenses are still sharp with the k-5?

06-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #215
Veteran Member

How many lenses are still sharp with the k-5? You have a bit of a point with corner sharpness, but plenty of lenses are still sharp across the frame on the k-5.
06-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The problem is if this is the old Sony 24mp sensor it won't be enough. That one had a problem delivering the quality of Sonys 12mp APS sensor and it is at least three generation behind the sensors coming in Pentax next APS camera. Lets hope it is a brand new sensor; not the case of Sony selling out the stock of the old and unsucessful 24mp FF sensor....
06-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #217
Veteran Member

I think it is a new sensor Pal, the old one the last of them went in the A900, and it is officially out of production for some time now

06-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Lets hope it is a brand new sensor; not the case of Sony selling out the stock of the old and unsucessful 24mp FF sensor....
Apparently this is a brand new sensor.

Sony bought (re-acquired is more apt) Toshiba's sensor fabs back in late 2010 and re-tooled to satisfy the demand for smartphone sensors, freeing up foundry for increased larger sensor demand.

You see that demand in a number of new cameras these days.

What's going on inside Sony these days is fascinating to watch. The company is almost going back to being an industrial supply company (a la Hitachi) as opposed to a brand name consumer product manufacturer.
06-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Lets hope it is a brand new sensor; not the case of Sony selling out the stock of the old and unsucessful 24mp FF sensor....
Of course it have to be brand new. Pentax isn't that stupid. They know they have to deliver a camera which is more or less best in class.
06-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Apparently this is a brand new sensor.

Sony bought (re-acquired is more apt) Toshiba's sensor fabs back in late 2010 and re-tooled to satisfy the demand for smartphone sensors, freeing up foundry for increased larger sensor demand.

You see that demand in a number of new cameras these days.

What's going on inside Sony these days is fascinating to watch. The company is almost going back to being an industrial supply company (a la Hitachi) as opposed to a brand name consumer product manufacturer.
If (when) Sony is broken up the Sensor division will be one of the most valuable. Sadly where they made their name (TV) is now one of he things pulling the company down. they really blew the transition from CRT to Panel technologies.
06-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
A viewfinder the size of the one in the MX or ME Super inside this fabled new FF DSLR? Do want.
I'm laying my bet on the table.

A major distinguishing feature of a FF Pentax (actually, of all Pentax bodies) will have something to do with the Optical Viewfinder.

100%, bright, focus aids - maybe interchangeable - the Viewfinder will be a distinguishing feature for Pentax.
06-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #222
Pentaxian

I hope you're right.
Thinking better, I hope you're not - my wallet would cry.
06-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #223
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Of course it have to be brand new. Pentax isn't that stupid. They know they have to deliver a camera which is more or less best in class.
Yes, that is something Pentax has done pretty well until the K-01 thing

The K-20D was a great camera in its time and good high ISO for that time. Pentax then had a hiccup tith the K-7 but I think they learned from it. As we all know the K-5 was a major winner and the Pentax engineers did a great job of getting every bit of resolution out of the Sony sensor. It looks like the K-30 will be a show stopper also and should be a hit.

Pentax knows, that in today's market and with the fierce competition, a mistake can be disastrous. I thing pentax will come up with a revamp of the K-5 as that is a great camera, it may have a few more tweaks to the sensor or a generation 2 of the same sensor and possibly a new processing engine and faster AF, etc, etc.

The FF, if it Pentax does produce one will be a huge deal for them. I bet my bottom dollar it will be as small as Pentax can make a FF and be loaded with features. I very much hope it has an articulating LCD and tethering, two features that have been lacking and two features that make shooting much easier for sure.

We will see what happens, exciting times.

wll
06-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm laying my bet on the table.

A major distinguishing feature of a FF Pentax (actually, of all Pentax bodies) will have something to do with the Optical Viewfinder.

100%, bright, focus aids - maybe interchangeable - the Viewfinder will be a distinguishing feature for Pentax.
Agreed to some degree but the only thing that will make it truly distinct in a viewfinder would be interchangeable. At the moment every current FF is 100% coverage and have several screens available
more than .76x magnification would be distinguishing. So an MX level of magnification would be a ground breaker in FF (0.97x)
06-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #225
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Agreed to some degree but the only thing that will make it truly distinct in a viewfinder would be interchangeable. At the moment every current FF is 100% coverage and have several screens available
more than .76x magnification would be distinguishing. So an MX level of magnification would be a ground breaker in FF (0.97x)
What I should have written.