Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #766
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k-0 and 645d are not models within the category
you need a lower price point than the k30 or you basically write off a good 50 % of the market or more
pentax has said in an interview it needs to be a 4 dslr line, and they are right lack of selection hurts sales
an entry level will actually move more k30 fr them because people are drawn in by low prce but frequently by one up after looking.

08-03-2012, 03:29 AM   #767
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Actually Pentax's AF seems downright sophisticated compared to how far behind the times they are with flash.
That may be so, but it's not that relevant compared to AF.

AF is needed with the majority of shots, flash not so much, and for those, not always PTTL .
But of course, they'll have to develop new flashes, too.
08-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #768
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Why would they want to introduce anything more "entry level" than the K30? At it's current price point it IS the entry level DSLR in the Pentax lineup.
The cheapest camera isn't the "entry level".

The entry level is defined by pieces of plastic like the EOS 1100D. ~400$ difference!
08-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #769
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
That may be so, but it's not that relevant compared to AF.
AF is needed with the majority of shots, flash not so much, and for those, not always PTTL
flash is much needed also, but I agree that AF is a bigger priority. Maybe Pentax can take on the performance cue of the Metz 58 AF-2 in designing new flashes.
So far in the AF aspect, the K-30 has shown wonderful progress. Though it still lags behind the 7D's.

08-03-2012, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #770
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
So far in the AF aspect, the K-30 has shown wonderful progress. Though it still lags behind the 7D's.
In term of price too.

the 7d is 1300€ right now, the K30 is 800€.

Be sure to not compare apple with oranges
08-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #771
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
In term of price too.

the 7d is 1300€ right now, the K30 is 800€.

Be sure to not compare apple with oranges
That's not what he's saying.

It's about what Pentax can deliver in terms of AF performance.

Canon's 7D is from 2009. If Pentax can deliver something in the ballpark of the 7D's AF, we'd be very happy. The current SAFOX IXi+ is not that. It's something the K5 should have had when it was released .
08-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #772
Veteran Member

That's not what he's saying.

It's about what Pentax can deliver in terms of AF performance.

Canon's 7D is from 2009. If Pentax can deliver something in the ballpark of the 7D's AF, we'd be very happy. The current SAFOX IXi+ is not that. It's something the K5 should have had when it was released .
While I agree the AF needs improvement, I doubt we will se a huge leap in this go round. much of what shows up will still be influenced by the Hoya ownership. I imagine R&D is just now starting to run at the levels Ricoh is looking for as they had to basically build the team again since Hoya canned so many of them

08-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #773
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
While I agree the AF needs improvement, I doubt we will se a huge leap in this go round. much of what shows up will still be influenced by the Hoya ownership. I imagine R&D is just now starting to run at the levels Ricoh is looking for as they had to basically build the team again since Hoya canned so many of them
Many engineers changed from Ricoh to Pentax. And it's not like Ricoh has no know-how with AF.
Depending on what they have on the hardware side, a lot of improvements could be achieved just by software.

I agree that they're certainly not up to what Ricoh has in mind, which is also why I doubt they'll release FF this year.
08-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #774
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Canon's 7D is from 2009. If Pentax can deliver something in the ballpark of the 7D's AF, we'd be very happy. The current SAFOX IXi+ is not that. It's something the K5 should have had when it was released
the 7d AF is fast, however it don't have such a high keeper rate. I used it twice and i must say i was impressed by speed (maybe the 70-200 USM II was for something i it), but not by it's precision.

I think, that Pentax AF isn't that bad, but the lens are not fast enought to push it to the limits. The 70-200 USM II seemed to go from one focus end to the other in half a sec. The DA*55 takes almost a sec to do this !

If PENTAX-RICOH could improve DC motor and put it in all lens, then Pentax can start competing.
08-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #775
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
If PENTAX-RICOH could improve DC motor and put it in all lens, then Pentax can start competing.
This is a really important point. mostly we are comparing apples and oranges when comparing focus systems since the type of focus system on Pentax varies from screw drive to variations on the dc motor which mostly they haven't done well
the true comparison would be using the same sigma HSM on both bodies that would be interesting to see

that being said I really don't find the AF that bad myself. I don't shoot sports or really fast moving objects but i like the fact that Pentacx AF is wuite accurate (more accurate in published tests than Nikon or Canon last year)
08-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #776
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I'd rather Pentax develop a FF VF comparable to the MX than an improved AF system. And I'm in the same boat, I don't care about high speed AF, but accurate AF.
08-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #777
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Personally, I'd rather Pentax develop a FF VF comparable to the MX than an improved AF system. And I'm in the same boat, I don't care about high speed AF, but accurate AF.
+1 the top notch VF is my number one want. I'm walking aboutt with an SF1 i got this week and it's a joy to have such a huge VF, I'm having no trouble manual focusing even without a split prism
and the SF1 isn't even as nice as the MX (.81x 92% versus the amazing .97x 95% of the MX) but i could even live with this (the shutter speed indicator and focus indicator are excellent on it though)
08-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #778
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
The K30's AF is already accurate, is it not?
Improve on that. And regarding accuracy and speed... AF-C has neither :P.

Compare what the 5DIII AF can do. Pentax is far from that. Do you want a Pentax FF camera to be compared to the 5DII?
08-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #779
Veteran Member

The K30's AF is already accurate, is it not?
Improve on that. And regarding accuracy and speed... AF-C has neither :P.

Compare what the 5DIII AF can do. Pentax is far from that. Do you want a Pentax FF camera to be compared to the 5DII?
If the Pentax FF comes out at 2-2200 it will be a grand less than the 5D3 so i doubt i would compare them on every level. there will be things the Pentax will do better and things not as well as you would expect with the price variance, i wouldn't compare with a D4 either
08-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #780
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Pentax FF DSLR isn't coming anytime soon. Some people here are masochist, really =)
Define soon. I just spent a week with my niece who is a geologist specializing in the Cretaceous Era (formation of oil happened then). In geologic time a Pentax FF will be released ........ well, it just was.