Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #991
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yen800 Quote
some update: the FF will look very different from the MZ-D (MR-52)... the kit lens is going to be a * lens
You mean a 24-75?

08-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #992
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Do you find that rumor credible in ligh of the rumor that the Sony cost $2800? Something doesn't add up here and so far the cheap FF camera is a rumor I haven't seen substantiated anywhere. Apart from being circular rumors, the source seem to simply state entry level. That might mean $2500...

Keeping my ear to the ground it seems like the rumored (and credible) price of the 24mp Sony at $2800 is treated as fact, and the D600 is rumored at $2200. This makes sense as I doubt that a more budget oriented FF camera from Nikon using the same sensor as the Sony can undercut it much more than this in price. It again also means that the 24mp Pentax for Photokina is not an FF camera if the rumored price of ~$1400 or less is correct or even in the ballpark....
08-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #993
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yen800 Quote
I am pretty sure about that... so far the source has updated with correct info for all other cameras...
And the source??? Unless we know where it originated, it doesn't hold any credibility.
08-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #994
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
And the source??? Unless we know where it originated, it doesn't hold any credibility.
The source is probably the 1. April joke. At least that is the source for all Pentax FF rumors on the web...

08-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #995
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The source is probably the 1. April joke. At least that is the source for all Pentax FF rumors on the web...
There were FF Pentax rumors long before the 1April joke.
08-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #996
Veteran Member

All my camera equipment, with the exception of two older PS cams. is Pentax. So if i'm biased, its towards Pentax.

But i have to smile at the audacity of Nikon for launching such a large fleet of full frame cameras on the world. Like a game of poker, their campaign doesn't come without some risk. If they fail to sell an adequate number of full frame cameras, they could be saddled with a large amount of debt going forward. I wouldn't think that Sony would agree to manufacture X number of sensors without a contract and some amount of money upfront. Nikon probably expects to not only reap large profits, but also increase their share of the camera market. the balance of risk versus possible gains.

It isn't just Pentax, every other camera maker out there is potentially impacted to some degree. or not. It'll be fascinating to watch.
08-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #997
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
All my camera equipment, with the exception of two older PS cams. is Pentax. So if i'm biased, its towards Pentax.

But i have to smile at the audacity of Nikon for launching such a large fleet of full frame cameras on the world. Like a game of poker, their campaign doesn't come without some risk. If they fail to sell an adequate number of full frame cameras, they could be saddled with a large amount of debt going forward. I wouldn't think that Sony would agree to manufacture X number of sensors without a contract and some amount of money upfront. Nikon probably expects to not only reap large profits, but also increase their share of the camera market. the balance of risk versus possible gains.

It isn't just Pentax, every other camera maker out there is potentially impacted to some degree. or not. It'll be fascinating to watch.
Nikon (and Canon) have so large a marketshare and sell so many DSLR's that what they are doing is plugging every hole in the market. You'll see that the next Nikon is a high-end APS camera....
I don't think the risk is particularly large; they will sell enough....

08-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #998
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Your rebuttal illustrates Falk's point perfectly: To suggest that the Harvard thin film lens is applicable to photography requires that you ignore how it works. Of course it has no chromatic aberration - it works only with a single wavelength of light!
Which means we'll just need to have a 64,000,000 element group to capture all the wavelengths in the visible light spectrum. It won't be a continuum... but close enough!
08-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #999
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
There is a reason why always people who don't understand physics expect miracles to happen.

As we say: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

Obviously, dSLRs are magic for most photographers posting here, like stormcloud. Nothing wrong with that.

For the rest of us though, it is sufficiently advanced technology and just be affirmed that some unpleasant laws of nature limit what magic you are going to receive next, and what not.

E.g., a big part of the noise isn't coming from the camera, it is already coming from the light itself -- light itself is noisy (aka photon shot noise). And light field cameras are severely restricted by diffraction as is known since 100 years and never changed. God made no exception for the founder of Lytro whatever his marketing may some people make believe. You want to read more about it from the ones who own all the relevant patents (it's not Lytro ...).
I read a news report yesterday (somewhere) which stated that measurements seem to indicate that the laws of electromagnetism might well be very different in the far reaches of the universe. So it's possible that the laws of nature may not be as immutable as we thought.

Last edited by bossa; 08-30-2012 at 03:40 PM.
08-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #1000
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I read a news report yesterday (somewhere) which stated that measurements seem to indicate that the laws of electromagnetism might well be very different in the far reaches of the universe. So it's possible that the laws of nature may not be as immutable as we thought.
Actually that idea has been around a while (probably not externally publicized though). My university was advertising it for a few months back in 2010 on it's web site as they have a few research papers on it.
Electromagnetism: does its strength vary across the Universe? - Swinburne Research Bank : Open Access Repository
08-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #1001

I have a friend who works at pentax and we had a conversation shifted to full frame cameras, he didnt answer my obvious questions for pentax. That was a year or so ago. Met him again and asked the same question, he just smiled and changed the subject... could this be a yes or a no? Maybe this year's Photokina, we'll all know the answer to that...
08-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #1002
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vince1987 Quote
I have a friend who works at pentax and we had a conversation shifted to full frame cameras, he didnt answer my obvious questions for pentax. That was a year or so ago. Met him again and asked the same question, he just smiled and changed the subject... could this be a yes or a no? Maybe this year's Photokina, we'll all know the answer to that...
That should be a Yes, or never talk to him again!
08-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #1003
Veteran Member

I think you should change the way you ask him questions, he will smile for a good reason then

08-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #1004
Veteran Member

If I was a pentax employee I would ask for a dollar each time someone asked me about FF (My get rich scheme ). With all respect he probably has no idea. Things like that are generally kept to a need to know basis even parts manufacturers are probably kept slightly in the dark about components they are making. The old "Those who know don't talk, and those who talk don't know." adage is very applicable. I would say Pentax is one of the better companies at keeping secrets, like the new X-5 only really leaked a couple of days before it was announced.
08-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #1005

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That should be a Yes, or never talk to him again!
hahaha. I'd do that!

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
I think you should change the way you ask him questions, he will smile for a good reason then
He didnt smile the first time I asked him though, but only on the second time. Maybe it means something, maybe it doesnt. I'm still excited to see what they have in store for us at Photokina.