Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have seen the mythical pentax full frame! Here it is!

Subject says it all. Who says k-mount doesn't have a digital full frame now? :P

Attached Images

09-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Did that really exist? I wonder how much it cost then?
09-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was a prototype only I think....mostly for government contracts. Given the price of later kodak dcs systems, I would say in the range of over $10,000 was probably not far off the mark.
09-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

As much as I like Pentax and the K-mount, I think I'd take the Nikon D5000 over the Kodak D-5000.

Very interesting though.

09-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Did that really exist? I wonder how much it cost then?
1989 man....its amazing that they were doing this in the early 90s. 10 years before canon eventually came out with a full frame. Kodak could have owned modern photography. Giving up the market they created was their fatal mistake.
09-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This was the first one that was fully integrated into a modern dslr looking body. So k-mount history again! The first true DSLR was built around k-mount. Fascinating if you ask me.
09-23-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, Kodak had it all and did nothing with the technology they actually pioneered. It will likely go down in history as the biggest business blunder ever. They have gone from being one of the largest corporations in the world to their present low point of being a patent troll, and not successful with that so far either.
09-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I strongly believe (like almost all the banks throughout the world), US big companies' administrative boards are made of elderly (not only chronologically) , and conservative (not politically) people, who is afraid of taking risks and implementing new ideas. This Kodak sensor camera reminded me the IBM's attitude towards computer users and windows operating system.

Things People Said: Bad Predictions

09-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
I strongly believe (like almost all the banks throughout the world), US big companies' administrative boards are made of elderly (not only chronologically) , and conservative (not politically) people, who is afraid of taking risks and implementing new ideas. This Kodak sensor camera reminded me the IBM's attitude towards computer users and windows operating system.

Things People Said: Bad Predictions
The conservative part isn't necessarily the problem. The books have to be balanced to stay out of the red ink. A river boat gambler isn't very good in that role either unless he is Bret Maverick or Doc Holiday.
09-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

IBM made some bad mistakes but they have survived and are still a strong, money making company, although smaller. Their biggest mistake was not copyrighting their OS which Microsoft took advantage of. We have seen Nikon and Canon drag their feet in regards to mirrorless cameras which may come back to haunt them. I think the biggest problem some companies have is that new generations come along and adopt certain products and they just take off. What Kodak missed was the internet. It never crossed their mind that the whole world would drop film like a hot potato. It wasn't a matter of adopting new products. Kodak made a few decent digital cameras. They still bet the farm on film and processing. Meanwhile, everybody was taking digital pictures and emailing them everywhere. Take a picture of the kids and grandma has pictures 10 minutes later on the other side of the country. People could make decent prints on the home inkjet printer. Their business model died faster than the blacksmith and horseshoe shop. Right now we see the consumer digital camera market being beat up on by smart phones. The suffering isn't over.
09-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Just look at Xerox back in the day who had the first GUI OS (Xerox Star), created and used internally, and didnt even understand what they had on their hands. It took Jobs and Gates to basically steal the idea and develop it on their own before it saw its true potential. The first Mac OS was pretty much an exact copy at least as far as looks as the Xerox OS. If Xerox had a few young geeks on their board back then things might be different today.

Last edited by Deimos; 09-23-2012 at 10:33 AM.
09-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
IBM made some bad mistakes but they have survived and are still a strong, money making company,
Kinda turned out to be OT but I feel like I had to say: I had a chance to watch computer industry in 90's when I was in states, IBM did mistakes a child wouldn't make, If IBM lives today just because government never wanted IBM to die, so if it still makes money it's from American taxpayers shoulders. True blue you know. IMO If IBM was a decent company it would be one of the biggest sensor producers today along with Kodak..
09-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Kinda turned out to be OT but I feel like I had to say: I had a chance to watch computer industry in 90's when I was in states, IBM did mistakes a child wouldn't make, If IBM lives today just because government never wanted IBM to die, so if it still makes money it's from American taxpayers shoulders. True blue you know. IMO If IBM was a decent company it would be one of the biggest sensor producers today along with Kodak..
That's not where the money is. IBM are shedding more and more hardware because the money is elsewhere.