Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I think the introduction of the D600 and 6D may actually do Pentax some good. Both the Nikon and the Canon have had their wings clipped in various ways and if Pentax bring out a FF at the same price point that feels as premium as a K-5, and keeps all its features intact, people are likely to see the Pentax as the superior product.
I like that prospect. One area though that Pentax has catching up to do, and that isn't just up to them, is in third-party support. I hope they start aggressively courting some of the industry players. For example, I'd really like to see PocketWizard supply Pentax specific transceivers that enable their hyper-sync feature. Tethering in popular applications like Lightroom and Capture One is also desperately needed.

10-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #152
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Why in the world would Pentax even think about ditching the K-mount?! That'd probably spell suicide. It's a great mount, meant to house a 35mm imaging device, be it film or chip.
There is no need for Pentax to drop the k-mount than there is for Nikon to drop the 53 year old F mount.
10-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I see a lot of ranting on about data, data, and data. But, have yet to actually see any data that people are supposedly using...
I'm not ranting; however, illdefined claimed something ("shrinking segment") and he refuses to bring any proof to his claim - because he actually doesn't know. Now he's trying to put the burden of proof on me; it won't work. His claim, his job to prove it.
If you want some data, this was posted on another thread:
CIPA starts to report growing mirrorless sales: Digital Photography Review
Note the mention of natural disasters affecting the DSLRs more than MILCs, and that this are relative figures (%) - not absolute (sale volumes).

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
you're guessing APS-C DSLRs will keep growing and go on to do well, in spite of new competition from above and below.
I'm making no such guesses. I only said that, unless otherwise proved, it's safe to assume that right now the growing trend was continued. That's how trends works

um, there weren't any MILCs back then. the MICRO 4/3 "standard" mainstreamed MILCs and Olympus was on the ground floor with that push. together with Panasonic, they "drove the market", creating an entirely new market category that the establishment (Canon, Nikon, Sony) are now entering themselves.
You didn't read what I wrote? I'll write it again: "driving the market" doesn't necessarily means MILCs, and doesn't guarantee success.

see? again, says your old data. keep watching.
Talking is cheap; but show me your new data - if you can.

I see Olympus taking shots, learning from them and co-dominating a growing market they had a hand in making. all the while, gaining crucial marketshare on the way. that last part cannot be said for Pentax. I'm not sure Pentax knows what its doing yet, as it stands now, we can only guess.
Yes, Olympus is doing great losing money on their Imaging Systems division; Pentax should use the same tactic.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There is no need for Pentax to drop the k-mount than there is for Nikon to drop the 53 year old F mount.
Absolutely!
10-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If you want some data, this was posted on another thread:
CIPA starts to report growing mirrorless sales: Digital Photography Review
Note the mention of natural disasters affecting the DSLRs more than MILCs, and that this are relative figures (%) - not absolute (sale volumes).
Interesting link, with usefull data. This confirms my view on a possible Pentax FF: Pentax could test the FF-waters first with a MILC without shrinking their APSC product line. There is slow steady growth in MILCs, and there is slow steady growth in FF, so combinging the two would be smart. Especially since the competitors don't have any of those yet. A nice niche for Pentax.

10-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #155
Pentaxian

Latest data from CIPA (the Japanese 'Camera and Imaging Products Association') are there:

http://www.cipa.jp/english/data/pdf/d-201208_e.pdf

During the period from January 1st till August 31st, 2012, total shipment of cameras with interchangeable lens (SLRs + non-reflex cameras) grew by 25% in units and 38% in value in comparison with the same period in 2011.

Hardly a shrinking market.

Non-reflex cameras represented 18% in units and 15.5% in value of the cameras with interchangeable lens shipped from January 1st till August 31st, 2012. Even though there are no data concerning non-reflex cameras in 2011, the fact that their share is smaller than the growth of total shipment implies that SLR shipment is also growing at a fast pace.

On the other hand, cameras with built-in lens were hit hard: minus 13% in units and minus 15% in value.

Last edited by Mistral75; 10-10-2012 at 02:16 AM.
10-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Check the ,marketplace and see how many Pentaxians are hitting the exits
I keep looking when others have said this, and I don't see evidence of a mass movement. Three or four prominent contributors, and maybe several others, but many have been talking about it for a while. Most people are still posting photos and talking about all manner of things, rather than jumping on the cheap D600 or 5dII or the more expensive D800. Others continue to join with their new Pentax gear. Of course, someone might attempt to do a proper count, but I don't think we're going to be devoid of Jeremiahs here for a while yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
In business it's always cheaper to keep a client than to find a new one.

JMHO
No doubt about that. Good to see that they're actually getting on with it, from what we read now.
10-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Interesting link, with usefull data. This confirms my view on a possible Pentax FF: Pentax could test the FF-waters first with a MILC without shrinking their APSC product line. There is slow steady growth in MILCs, and there is slow steady growth in FF, so combinging the two would be smart. Especially since the competitors don't have any of those yet. A nice niche for Pentax.
I'm not sure you can combine the two "small growths".
IMO, since MILCs are on average lower value than DSLRs (see the data posted by Mistral), a MILC FF would be too much of a niche for Pentax. Going up there could be a risky, expensive maneuver - and Pentax right now should concentrate on things which would allow them a fast, sustainable growth.

Mistral: thank you for bringing up relevant data. It's far better when we have something to base our assumptions on, and/or verify them.

10-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #158
Veteran Member

I'm not sure you can combine the two "small growths".
IMO, since MILCs are on average lower value than DSLRs (see the data posted by Mistral), a MILC FF would be too much of a niche for Pentax. Going up there could be a risky, expensive maneuver - and Pentax right now should concentrate on things which would allow them a fast, sustainable growth.
I believe that in the the other rumor thread a Pentax official already confirmed that "APSC is the maximum format for MILC".

But still, wouldn't that lower value of the MILCs make it possible to place a very highly featured high quality and very usefull FF camera on the market below the price of the competitors. Enabling that fast growth. And probably sustainable too, as digital has the future. DSLRs are only partly digital, all the moving parts, bouncing mirrors are still from the analog age.
10-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #159
Veteran Member

I believe that in the the other rumor thread a Pentax official already confirmed that "APSC is the maximum format for MILC"....
That could only be due to the speed of LCD and EVF technology and bandwidth issues that will, no doubt, be solved within a couple of years. Obviously FF would require a greater data throughput for Live View and EVF to keep up, but, all the same, I can't see absolute statements like that as anything more than an excuses frankly.
10-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #160
Pentaxian

I believe that in the the other rumor thread a Pentax official already confirmed that "APSC is the maximum format for MILC".

(...).
Actually, he said that

QuoteOriginally posted by leonsroar Quote
mirrorless segment is moving forward to smaller size. Even though there was possibility to bring FF into this segment, it was our conclusion that APS-C should be the utmost size for mirrorless segment.
10-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I can't see absolute statements like that as anything more than an excuses frankly.
Ouch!

The Pentax guy's quote was saying basically that FF makes it harder to go with small mirrorless. It's not an 'excuse' - Pentax know how to do small, after all. It's just a pretty sensible observation, especially if we are talking K-mount FF.
10-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
That could only be due to the speed of LCD and EVF technology and bandwidth issues that will, no doubt, be solved within a couple of years. Obviously FF would require a greater data throughput for Live View and EVF to keep up, but, all the same, I can't see absolute statements like that as anything more than an excuses frankly.
No, it's a conclusion arrived at, a choice made by Pentax, cf. supra.

Sony RX-1 is mirrorless and 24x36 and so is Leica M (which has Live View and an optional EVF), not to mention Sony Alpha 99.
10-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #163
Banned

Photos: Albums
Olympus failed in the DSLR market, very true.. why was that? They tried to "drive the market" with their "made for digital" 4/3 system
I'll tell you exactly why...

The Olympus line had small sensors and then "charged" through the roof to have their items - but especially the lens' - some of which exceed Nikon's pricing of higher end lens'.
10-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #164
Veteran Member

What's Nikon or Canons excuse for not doing FF mirrorless, by the way
10-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What's Nikon or Canons excuse for not doing FF mirrorless, by the way
Not to eat into the sales of their highly profitable 24x36 DSLR lines.

The same reason (extended to APS-C DSLRs) explains why Canon, Nikon and Pentax were the last to launch a mirrorless camera, far later than Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung and Sony.