Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It makes you wonder why Pentax, not known as a second-party supplier to others in industry AFAIK (excusing the Honeywell re-branding in the USA during the 1960s), would be working on "full-frame technologies" if it wasn't working on a corresponding body. Indeed, aside from the sensor, what is exclusively "full-frame" about anything in a camera, DSLR or otherwise? All the rest, from body package to memory, seems to be merely a matter of scale or processing speed. I suppose you could say the same about the sensor, too, to some extent at least, but if you're not making your own then you're adapting someone else's for your own purposes.
Along with the sensor, you'd need a new image processor. I have a feeling the current PRIME isn't fast enough. So, that's two things - sensor and processor. What else falls under "full-frame technologies"?

10-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Along with the sensor, you'd need a new image processor. I have a feeling the current PRIME isn't fast enough. So, that's two things - sensor and processor. What else falls under "full-frame technologies"?
Speculation is that in-body stabilization needs bigger image circles that current lenses are providing, although that's unproven I think. So they need to decide what the stabilizing strategy is going to be...
10-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It makes you wonder why Pentax, not known as a second-party supplier to others in industry AFAIK ..., would be working on "full-frame technologies" if it wasn't working on a corresponding body.
Agreed. If they are doing any such work, I doubt it would be purely an academic exercise.

The probably said the same thing about working on 'medium-format technologies' a few years ago, and then we got the 645D .
10-08-2012, 03:09 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

LOL. Pentax FF dream thread # 100500.

10-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
I hate how Pentax have let things get this far - leaving its users scrambling over rumored, translated, and completely ambiguous scraps of 'hope'
I just took a plunge into my financials and I keep hoping for the Pentax FF since I lack the money to take a jump towards those expensive other systems.
10-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Oh, dear...
10-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
They also need to design a larger view finder, pentaprism setup, mirror assembly (including the motor for its actuation) as well completely redesign a new AF sensor (not only to match the sensor size but also to increase the number of focus points) and all the mirrors and prisms for the operation of that. Since all the electrics gets larger they would also need a battery with more output, which means potentially larger and that will require the battery slot to be redesigned and probably mean they would design the camera from the ground up, button placement and all. Also mentioned was the PRIME image engine which I would agree. They also probably need to re-engineer the circuitry involved for all the regular stuff as well. No easy task and one that Hoya definately didn't give them cash to do it with.

10-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
They also need to design a larger view finder, pentaprism setup, mirror assembly (including the motor for its actuation) as well completely redesign a new AF sensor (not only to match the sensor size but also to increase the number of focus points) and all the mirrors and prisms for the operation of that. Since all the electrics gets larger they would also need a battery with more output, which means potentially larger and that will require the battery slot to be redesigned and probably mean they would design the camera from the ground up, button placement and all. Also mentioned was the PRIME image engine which I would agree. They also probably need to re-engineer the circuitry involved for all the regular stuff as well. No easy task and one that Hoya definately didn't give them cash to do it with.
er, doesn't the 645D have the same battery, processor and AF system as the K5? K-mount already has the clearances for FF so nothing to 'redevelop' there... they even have a fine set of FF primes in full production...

seriously enough, Pentax is out of excuses.
10-08-2012, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Speculation is that in-body stabilization needs bigger image circles that current lenses are providing, although that's unproven I think. So they need to decide what the stabilizing strategy is going to be...
Surely the beauty of SR is the sensor moves, not the imaging circle of the lens?
10-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
er, doesn't the 645D have the same battery, processor and AF system as the K5? K-mount already has the clearances for FF so nothing to 'redevelop' there... they even have a fine set of FF primes in full production...

seriously enough, Pentax is out of excuses.
The most expensive part is not necessarily the design or development. Getting it ready for production can cost a fortune. There are hundreds if not thosands of parts in such a camera and somebody has to make them for Pentax to their specification.
A Pentax FF camera will cost around $3000. New FF lenses will cost $2000 +. The worldwide marked is probably around 10 000 units.
10-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Surely the beauty of SR is the sensor moves, not the imaging circle of the lens?
..but the sensor can theoretically move outside the image circle of the lens or into an area where the lens performance drops...
10-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
..but the sensor can theoretically move outside the image circle of the lens or into an area where the lens performance drops...
Right. Do optically stabilized lenses have larger than normal circles so the reverse problem doesn't occur (circle moving off sensor)?
10-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The most expensive part is not necessarily the design or development. Getting it ready for production can cost a fortune. There are hundreds if not thosands of parts in such a camera and somebody has to make them for Pentax to their specification.
A Pentax FF camera will cost around $3000. New FF lenses will cost $2000 +. The worldwide marked is probably around 10 000 units.
and how much market is the 645D? why is actual FF so much harder to produce again?

bigger prism and a mirror? Pentax already managed even larger with the 645D with a lot of re-used components from their APS-C cameras with an already FF mount and mirrorbox....

there are sub-$2000 FF lenses in production already, as well as dozens of patents for FF glass in their portfolio, not to mention thousands already in the marketplace...don't people get tired of making excuses for Pentax?

Last edited by illdefined; 10-08-2012 at 05:20 PM.
10-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #29
Pentaxian

and how much market is the 645D? why is actual FF so much harder again?

bigger prism and a mirror? Pentax already managed even larger with the 645D, and tons of APS-C cameras with an already FF mount and mirrorbox....don't people get tired of making excuses for Pentax?
What excuses? Nobody is saying they can't do it, just that it takes time.
10-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

just read above.